Breaking News Las Vegas Gunbattle

This is a discussion on Breaking News Las Vegas Gunbattle within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In breaking news here in Las Vegas, Northeast part of town a 6 hour gun fight between Police and a gunman in an apartment building. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breaking News Las Vegas Gunbattle

1952 - 2006

Breaking News Las Vegas Gunbattle

In breaking news here in Las Vegas, Northeast part of town a 6 hour gun fight between Police and a gunman in an apartment building. SWAT finally got into a good position and were able to shoot and kill the suspect just now.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

2. Remove Ads

Man why wasnt tis on Tv there nothing on tonight ..

Any other info Avaible

1952 - 2006
    All that's available at the moment. More when available.

News Flash
    Standoff ends with suspect dead
    A standoff between police and a gunman has ended with the suspect in the shooting dead. The incident began shortly before noon at the Woodridge Villas apartment complex near Owens and Eastern. Someone fired an automatic weapon at two Metro police officers who were responding to a disturbance at the complex. No police officers were shot.
    Updated: 6:03 p.m.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

I imagine when the rest of the story comes out it will turn out to be a standard "semiautomatic" that was used, not an "automatic". When they write these stories I think they really don't understand what they are writing about and use the words interchangably.
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the weaponry to make the difference.

Assistant Administrator
    Wow Bob - 6 hours!!

All this and only just had that cop slain. Vegas is gettin' hot!

Any updates yes - do post 'em.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Exclamation

When I was in Cali....it was something to watch the Hollywood bank robbery on tv..... live on 5....

1952 - 2006
    The only thing new so far is that they were responding to a complaint of the odor of marijuana. Then all hell broke loose.

~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Lead Moderator
    So far not a word about the standoff on the news here. Which is surprising considering some of the crap the locals pick up on.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

1952 - 2006
    Feb. 10, 2006
    Copyright Las Vegas Review-Journal

STANDOFF: Suspect shot to death after five-hour ordeal

Shootout comes on heels of one that killed officer

By BRIAN HAYNES
    REVIEW-JOURNAL

Las Vegas police shot and killed a gunman inside an apartment Thursday evening, ending a five-hour standoff that began with an intense shootout between officers and the gunman.

The gunbattle began about noon when police responded to the Woodridge Villas apartment complex, near Eastern and Owens avenues, for a complaint about marijuana smoke, Undersheriff Doug Gillespie said. Two people from the apartment told officers that a man was still inside.

Police ordered the man to come out. When he didn't, three officers entered and were met with gunfire, Gillespie said.

The officers retreated, but the gunman followed them outside and kept firing, pinning the officers under a stairwell, he said.

"He's still firing!" an officer yelled into his radio. "I need some help! Somebody get up here now!"

Minutes later, the officer called for help again: "He's still firing! Somebody get him!"

Gunfire could be heard in the background of the police radio transmissions.

Dozens of police rushed to the apartment complex. Just two days earlier they had buried one of their own, Sgt. Henry Prendes, who was ambushed by a gunman while responding to a domestic violence call. Police killed that gunman, but not before he sprayed bullets at officers ducking behind walls and cars in the street.

Thursday's incident unfolded in similar fashion as the gunman, armed with semiautomatic handguns, a shotgun and possibly a rifle, opened fire on the officers outside his second-floor apartment. Police at the scene called for officers armed with rifles to counter the gunman's arsenal.

"I want rifles!" one officer radioed. "Advise all riflemen that if anyone pokes out of that balcony to spray some fire on him."

Nearby residents said they heard hundreds of shots during the initial gunfight.

"We thought it was metal banging, like they were fixing something," said Ismael Perez, barefoot and shirtless after the hurried evacuation by police. "We heard. Tat! Tat! Tat! Tat! Tat! Tat! ... It sounded like an army, like it was a war. It was crazy."

Kream Thomas, 24, who lives two buildings away from the gunman's perch, said he took cover when bullets nearly hit him when he went outside to observe the action.

"Bullets were hitting the house. I had my family in the closet," he said. "It was like four or five different waves of gunshots. Every time you thought they were done they would start again."

Ashlee Banks, 18, and her mother, Shirley Banks, heard the gunfire and found cover on the kitchen floor of their apartment, across the parking lot from the gunman. They could hear police yelling during the barrage of gunfire, which seemed to last about 20 minutes, Ashlee Banks said.

"I thought it was never going to end," she said, clutching her 6-month-old son. "I'm like, 'Please Lord, don't let them shoot up our house. I have a baby.'"

At one point officers used the Banks' apartment for cover, and about an hour later the family was evacuated along with every other resident in the complex. Officers went door to door and sent residents to an armored police vehicle waiting for them in the parking lot.

"We said, 'There's two of us and a cat,'" 31-year-old William Vancheri said he told the officers at his door. "They said, 'The cat has to stay.' Then they started yelling at us to get of there and run, run, run!"

About 45 evacuees, including the Banks family and Perez, boarded a bus that took them to Cashman Field, where a banquet room with water and pastries had been set up for temporary shelter.

Shortly after the gunfire began, police swarmed the area. Officers from Las Vegas, North Las Vegas and the Clark County School District helped close off roads and surround the apartment complex. Thirteen schools were locked down during the standoff, officials said.

North of the complex police closed Owens and smaller roads in the residential neighborhood across the street from the apartment complex.

Vicki Fraka's backyard faces the apartment building from which the gunman sprayed bullets. About 3:30 p.m., she pleaded with officers to let her through an area they had cordoned off for protection, saying she believed her husband was inside their home and she couldn't reach him via phone.

About 1:30 p.m., a few hundred yards east of the gunman's apartment, police searched an area that had been evacuated in fear a toddler was alone and trapped inside one of the homes.

The scare began when a sobbing Maria Guzman arrived at the border of the cordoned off area and told police her 3-year-old son was supposed to be staying in their home with a grandmother. But every time she phoned the home, the toddler answered and seemed to be alone.

Police officers, crouching to stay out of the gunman's sight lines, snuck into the home and scoured it for signs of life. They found none.

"Does he have any favorite hiding places?" traffic officer Alann Green asked Guzman through an interpreter.

"No," she said.

Police eventually sent Guzman to look for her son at one of the places residents were evacuated to. It was unclear Thursday whether she found him.

After the initial gunfire stopped, police called in SWAT officers and negotiators who tried to convince the gunman to surrender. He apparently called 911 several times and told police he was armed with an SKS assault rifle and had been shot in the leg and buttocks during the gunfight, according to police scanner traffic.

"All units, the suspect is saying he's been shot and he's not going to go to jail and to bring the body bags," a police dispatcher said over the radio. About five minutes later, at about 1:10 p.m., the dispatcher said, "The suspect said that he was injured in the leg. It's pretty bad, and he's refusing medical but still won't come out."

Later, the dispatcher added: "All units, especially SWAT, be advised the suspect said he is not coming out, he wants to be killed, and SWAT is going to be smoked."

Several times during the negotiations, the gunman fired at officers, Gillespie said. No officers or bystanders were shot during the incident.

The standoff ended about 5 p.m. when the gunman fired at SWAT officers from a window, Gillespie said. The officers returned fire and killed the gunman, he said.

Police did not release the gunman's name or how many officers were involved in the shootout. Any officers who fired their weapons will be put on paid administrative leave pending an internal investigation and a coroner's inquest.

The police investigation continued into the night at the complex. Many residents were allowed to return to their homes, but it was unclear late Thursday how many apartments remained evacuated.

"This is so terrible, especially in light of what happened last week," Fraka said, referring to the Feb. 1 shootout that killed Prendes.

Review-Journal writers Henry Brean, Frank Curreri, Mike Kalil and Keith Rogers contributed to this report.

~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Assistant Administrator
    Pity no cliffs there - he could have saved everyone a lot of trouble if he'd just jumped off one!!

Very relieved no LE injuries - which almost seems amazing. These idiots as ever do us no favors with RKBA - and probably there'll be mileage extracted from the SKS aspect too.
    Chris - P95

Yesterday, when I was at the gun store, picking up that SW638, 3 off-duty Metro officers were in buying AR-15's for themselves to carry at work. After the Metro Sgt that got "bushwacked" last week; Metro officals are re-thinking about supplying more firepower for the officers, instead of the 12ga shottie. But, since govt moves like snails, these officers on their own are going out and buying more firepower to carry. The detective that came to the aid of the downed Sgt, had his own AR-15, which held off the BG, until help arrived. Even so, until the SWAT team arrived, they still didnt have anything bigger than the standard carry 12ga. It's pretty sad that the individual officers have to fork out $600-900 bucks out of their own pockets for a weapon. Hopefully, they will be re-imbursed by Metro, but dont bet on it.
    John
    XD40 Service
    S&W638 Airweight .38

Kahr CW9
    Hi-Point 995 Carbine

Assistant Administrator
    John - reimbursement certainly sounds like a pretty unlikely event but - good to know these guys are getting better gear for themselves.

I am assuming they are permitted to do this and sure hope so - the situations they can encounter, per that recent event - demonstrates all too well how the handgun soon ceases to be the tool of choice.

Equality is needed at the very least - if not ideally, total superiority.
    Chris - P95

Quote Originally Posted by NevJohn
    Yesterday, when I was at the gun store, picking up that SW638, 3 off-duty Metro officers were in buying AR-15's for themselves to carry at work. After the Metro Sgt that got "bushwacked" last week; Metro officals are re-thinking about supplying more firepower for the officers, instead of the 12ga shottie. But, since govt moves like snails, these officers on their own are going out and buying more firepower to carry. The detective that came to the aid of the downed Sgt, had his own AR-15, which held off the BG, until help arrived. Even so, until the SWAT team arrived, they still didnt have anything bigger than the standard carry 12ga. It's pretty sad that the individual officers have to fork out $600-900 bucks out of their own pockets for a weapon. Hopefully, they will be re-imbursed by Metro, but dont bet on it.
    Hey, wait a sec. They get shotguns? They're better armed than we are. And they get to carry their own ARs? Now I'm really jealous. I have ole faithfull sitting here beside me, collecting dust because when I leave, it can't come.

It is sad that this is the way it is at far too many places. We have SWAT on "on-call"status, but depending on how far away they are and how long it takes the whole team to assemble, you're on your own from 20 minutes to an hour. And until they get there, there isn't a weapon to be found that isn't a Glock 22.
    Rest In Peace Dad! I love you!!!

Senior Moderator
    WOW S.O....
    I feel for ya...

A shotgun aint much help when someone is across the street popping off shots at you from a second story window.

In my dept. only the L.T.'s are issued M-16's. Everyone else carrys an issued 870.

About 5 years ago the Sherrif started letting anyone that wanted to carry their own rifles as long as they qualified with them. That includes the 20 or so Reserves that are on the S.O.
    Personally, I keep a Bushmaster .223 with me with 5 30 mags. I am seriously considering swapping to the Springfield Soccom in .308. Its better to have "too much", rather than" not enough" in a shootout.

There are still lots of the smallers depts. around that have nothing but the issued pistol. Bringing a pistol to a rifle shoot is setting yourself up for failure. If you are out in the county, your backup maybe 45 minutes away. Thats an awful long time to try to stay alive with a pistol and 3 mags worth of ammo...especially when someone that has a deathwish is shooting at you.

I'm not into the AR's, but was listening to them talk, and I guess they were getting Colts? Dunno what model, etc., but the AR style anyway. They told the dealer, that they were going to get a "leaderhead", and that would take care of any tax exempt status? I take it was a letter from the "high sheriff", notsure. I am sure they have to pass qualification with them before they can start carrying them in their vehicles. But, as least they are looking out for themselves, as after last weeks murder, and yesterdays 5 hours shootout (BG dead), they need more power. Yesterday, SWAT showed up real fast, and I guess when the BG popped his head out around a window, a sniper got him. No fooling around anymore with these BG types.
    We had a 24 hr standoff around the corner from my house here about 2 yrs ago. After over 100 rounds of gas, and enuff flashbangs to start every car alarm in the valley, the guy finally gave up. It shut down the whole subdivision, whichwas a pain.
    John
    XD40 Service
    S&W638 Airweight .38

Kahr CW9
    Hi-Point 995 Carbine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links