Defensive Carry banner

UPDATE: Marines - I need your help

2K views 40 replies 29 participants last post by  2AMomma 
#1 ·
I realize it has been a looong time(May 23rd was the last post in the old thread) so for those who barely remember, or have no idea whatsoever, here is the old thread in a nutshell...

My 17(then 16) year old son wants to be a Marine. Having no military background in my family, I came to the one place I knew would give me a lot of advice. Most of it pretty sound :wink: Anyway, he applied to the Naval Academy, for NROTC scholarships, and was looking into enlistment. The USNA was where he really wanted to go so we concentrated our efforts there.

It's been a long road, but with his God-given abilities and an enormous amount of prayer...

HE MADE IT!! We found out yesterday that he received the appointment to the Naval Academy!!! We are awaiting the last hurdle - that of the Superintendant signing his waiver, but we have been told that that is really a non-issue at this point.

Thank you to everyone who gave us their .02, and especially for those who held him in your prayers!

#5 ·
Thanks!! I am more proud than words could ever express!!

#9 ·
Ya'll better put your shades on, because my smile's gonna blind ya!

#14 ·
While it is a great step forward and you should be very very proud of him, he is in no way shape or form a Marine. He is a plebe, which is a long ways from a Marine. He has 4 years of tough training, to include 8 weeks at OCS to prove himself.

When they hand him his Eagle, Globe and Anchor upon graduation, he will be come a Marine. Until then he is short of that high mark.

I wish him luck and health in his quest to become a Marine.

Semper Fidelis

LtCol, USMC (ret)

#13 ·
I'm not sure I understand what you mean Paco...can you elaborate?

What were you doing there Sixto? schooling or teaching?

#28 ·
I'm not sure I understand what you mean Paco...can you elaborate?
I have a buddy who's Son is going to West Point and he told me that he received a Congressional endorsement from his Congressman...

Wait, never mind. I was running low on caffeine. It just hit me, the endorsement means his Son won't have to go to the prep school rather straight in to West Point.

Move along, nothing to see here.

#15 ·
Well said Chrizo, it's a title none can claim until they earn it. But getting into annapolis is no easy feat either. Best of luck to him there.

#16 ·
Congratulations, 2AMomma!!

You have every right to be very proud.

#17 ·
That is an incredible honor. I think they mean if he is recommended to the Academy by his Congressman and accepted, his education will be on the GOOD OL US of A. Congratulations to what I am sure is an incredible young man. His service to this country in the coming years will be greatly appreciated.

#21 ·
:congrats: to you son.

But remember when you go to visit, you'll not be in Kansas any more and to lock-up your guns at the Maryland border.:aargh4:

#22 ·
I think there are only two states I can't carry in on the way, VA and MD. But I will probably be flying - at least for "parents weekend"...

#23 ·
Congrats to your son. :congrats:

There will be very trying times ahead for him. That is as it should be.

Now I will leave you, and your son with this thought, and I hope he learns the meaning of the words and carries out the actions that best exemplifies these words.

Duty: To self, others, and country

Honor: to self, others, and country

Respect: to self, others, and country

If he doesn't uphold all of those, to all three components, he doesn't uphold any of them.

Biker

#26 ·
That's outstanding! Please pass along congratulations from this old Marine!

He'll need to understand from day one......there are a very limited number of Marine Corps commissions that are available to each graduating class, and the competition for them is extremely fierce.

It'll be well worth the extra effort though. :hand5:

#30 ·
Thanks everyone! Your words of wisdom are much appreciated(please continue to share them) as are the congratulatory sentiments. I will pass them along.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.