Reserves???

Reserves???

This is a discussion on Reserves??? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've kind of been talking to a recruiter from the army reserves and he seems to keep implying that reserves only do duty here at ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reserves???

Reserves???

I've kind of been talking to a recruiter from the army reserves and he seems to keep implying that reserves only do duty here at home one weekend a month plus too weeks a year. I'm going to go and formally speak to recruiters 3/17 on my spring break but aren't many who are deployed now reservers?

that is the minimum you will do. if you never get deployed that is what you will do but if you stay in long enough you will get deployed at some point. Also it is a bad idea to join the reserves or national guard and expect to never be deployed as you will be severely disappointed. if you join and expect to be deployed and when you do get deployed you will be ready for it and it wont be nearly as much as a hardship on you when you do.

I'll be a nurse in a couple of months and was considering joining and having them pay for my masters. I just want to make sure I know the facts.

EW3
    Not to scare you off, but the whole "1 weekend a month, 2 weeks per year" thing is out the window and has been for some time. The recruiters are still going to sell it to you this way, but be prepared to do more than that. I did 6 years in the Air Guard from 2002-2008 and was subject to call-up at any time. Just before the Iraq War kicked off in 2003, I was mobilized with 3 whole days notice and had to literally drop everything and run, getting deployed to Kuwait.

The Air Guard has it a little easier; I was just talking to a guy who is still in the Army Guard who signed up around the time I did. He's getting ready to leave for his 3rd deployment (this time Afghanistan, twice before that to Iraq) in 6 years! Those guys go for 12-18 months at a shot.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Lead Moderator
    There are both Reserves and National Guard deployed to both war zones....... Some more than once! Surprised a lot of them after 9/11, since that "isn't what they joined for".
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    If you really want the straight skinny...talk to the Reserve or Guard unit that you would be assigned too. And if you are going medical...expect to be gone a lot.

Rick

Thanks everyone for the info. I'm going to go speak with them anyways, but at least now I kow a little more then what they might try to hide.

Administrator
    You will be deployed. Count on it. With that said, for the right person, its a fantastic opportunity.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    You will be deployed. Count on it. With that said, for the right person, its a fantastic opportunity.
    While I wish I had enlisted out of highschool, right now with my plans for a family deployment isn't an option. On that note, how is deployment for a nurse different then oher deployments?

Administrator
    You are usually in the rear edges of a combat zone. Accommodations are usually a bit better than the combat arms crowd too. If you really want something to ponder, check out the USCGR.
    You'll have a much less chance of over seas deployment, there are plenty of things to do in your hometown, and you get all the same benefits as the Army, Navy, Marines or Air Force.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Thank sixto.

I will concur with most folks here - Reserves and National Guard have a much better chance of deployment these days. However it also depends on the unit you are in and/or your job. If you're in a motor transport, engineer, medical or other direct combat support unit you'll probably do time in the Sandbox. I got out in 1988 and have talked to guys from my former unit (Military Intellegence) that was never even given notice about preparing to be deployed. YMMV, think about it hard. Being a soldier, sailor, Marine or airman is an honorable calling whether you do it full time or part time. Good luck!
    "Lawyers, Guns and Money"

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    I am a Dept. of the Army Civilian Police Officer at a military facility and Reserves can do much more than that. At my facility about 40% of our work force is military, roughly half are Reserves. It isn't a bad thing generally but we had a few here who have made it known that they first came here in order to keep from going to Iraq or Afghanistan (only two remain). After their enlistment with the Reserves was up they re-enlisted as regular Army and was reassigned to our parent military command.

EW3
    Quote Originally Posted by fernset View Post
    While I wish I had enlisted out of highschool, right now with my plans for a family deployment isn't an option. On that note, how is deployment for a nurse different then oher deployments?
    I think you answered your own question as to whether you really want to do this or not.

Right now in the Guard/Reserve it's no longer a matter of "if", it's "when" when you're talking deployments.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Quote Originally Posted by EW3 View Post
    I think you answered your own question as to whether you really want to do this or not.

Right now in the Guard/Reserve it's no longer a matter of "if", it's "when" when you're talking deployments.
    I want to thank everyone. Recruiters seem to leave out the actual goint to war part. It seems more and more its not really an option to be considering. I want to thank you all again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links