Female LEO's - Page 2

Female LEO's

This is a discussion on Female LEO's within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Bumper I believe that women, for the most part, hold their own in law enforcement. I've met some that are no BS ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Female LEO's

Northwest part of God's Country in Montana
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    I believe that women, for the most part, hold their own in law enforcement. I've met some that are no BS and are able to handle some pretty darned big men. I also know of some small frame men that have the same "problems" that you have attributed to women. And, to be fair, I know some women that are as you described. IMO the problem you are noticing is a difference in LE of today and that of a couple of decades back. On the larger departments there are a significant number of people that are just in the career field as a job. No different to them than working in an office. It didn't use to be that way.

All that being said, women are necessary for a thorough search of another female and are sometimes able to diffuse situations that a man would probably escalate. I don't like to see any requirements relaxed to specifically accommodate them, but I like seeing women on the beat.

I will also add that I am not a full time LEO, but rather a reserve with the Sheriff's Office.
    I do agree for the most part. I know for a fact from my time in the LE field, there are many 'doors' that women can get through that a man wouldn't be able to do! I do know they have a level of effectiveness that men don't, the same can be said for men as well! I don't think IMO that a woman can be as intimidating to a criminal or a subject being taken into custody as a man can.
    I greatfully appreciate all this input. It is helping me to have a more open mind about the subject! Please keep in mind, I'm not tryint to start any controversy or any discrimination!
    Thanks again, and keep the input coming!
    In a crisis you don't rise to the occasion but rather default to your level of training!

Forgiveness is between them and God, it's my job to arrange the meeting!
    -John W. Creasy (Man on Fire)

One other thing to keep in mind, a lot of departments use of force policies now call for the use of OC or a taser before going hands on. I am 6'04" and I was not always my current 300lbs. There are a whole lot of tools that an officer can use to get my compliance. I spent a few afternoons at our academy as a role player in "dealing with people" scenarios. Getting hung up on macho and trying to go hand to hand with me is not a mistake many female officers would make. I wish I could say the same for the guys.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

mcp1810, all I can say is Dayam!! I know for sure I wouldn't be stupid enough to go 'hands on' with you regardless as to how much liquid courage I had or how drunk you may be!!
    In a crisis you don't rise to the occasion but rather default to your level of training!

In my Rhode Island town, we have a petite female officer who is on her way to becoming a Rhode Island State Trooper. RI troopers used to be known as a bunch of no-nonsense big, burly guys. I even think they were voted "best dressed" a few times, because of their very sharp-looking uniforms. No one ever gave any backtalk to a RI trooper and their ethical standards always seemed pretty darned good.

But if I was a RI trooper and a real SHTF situation developed with a few tough BG's, I would want more coming to my aid than a 5' tall 115lb officer. I wouldn't really care that the officer was female or male. I would want serious backup, in the form of about 200 lbs of well-trained officer.

I think size, weight & strength requirements should be in place to ensure that every LEO (male or female) can be called on to adequately backup every situation. 5' tall and 115lbs isn't adequate IMHO.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    In my Rhode Island town, we have a petite female officer who is on her way to becoming a Rhode Island State Trooper. RI troopers used to be known as a bunch of no-nonsense big, burly guys. I even think they were voted "best dressed" a few times, because of their very sharp-looking uniforms. No one ever gave any backtalk to a RI trooper and their ethical standards always seemed pretty darned good.

But if I was a RI trooper and a real SHTF situation developed with a few tough BG's, I would want more coming to my aid than a 5' tall 115lb officer. I wouldn't really care that the officer was female or male. I would want serious backup, in the form of about 200 lbs of well-trained officer.

I think size, weight & strength requirements should be in place to ensure that every LEO (male or female) can be called on to adequately backup every situation. 5' tall and 115lbs isn't adequate IMHO.

-
    +1 and thank you!
    I guess my concern isn't with women in general, it's with any officer who isn't 'big enough' to perform the task at hand! Forgive the wording, but I have HUGE concerns with anyone who may be 5-feet tall and barely weigh enough to stand their ground in a windstorm! I don't want a guy that looks like Frodo backing me up on a call either! I want someone big enough to make a difference!

Administrator
    Women have their role in LE. Its a valued one too. Some things a woman is just better at, and some things only a female LEO can do. On the other hand, there are also things that only a male can do. A good cop of either sex knows and accepts this. Both can work together to make the job a lot easier.

We have one that I'd take on any call with me, and another I'd rather her just write the reports. We had two more that were just worthless. Same can be said for a few of the guys.

I know a female LEO in a neighboring jurisdiction that is about 110 after a heavy meal, but I wouldn't want to tangle with her. She can defiantly handle herself. I also know one that is double that size, and couldn't find her way out of her feed sack.

A lot of people forget or don't understand that the fighting and such is a small part of the job. There is a lot more to it than that, each individual brings weakness and strength to the plate. With all that said, There are a lot of female LEO's out there that have no business being on the street. There are also a lot of males that are the same. Those get washed out sooner or later anyway.
    Last edited by SIXTO; March 10th, 2009 at 11:09 PM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

There are LEO's capable of doing the job and LEO's who are not. I have found that gender really doesn't play a roll in that regard.

I know a female LEO trainer who would give mcp1810 a run for his money in unarmed combat. Can't say who would win, as I haven't seen our esteemed forum member fight, but I wouldn't bet against Kat.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I don't know where they are getting some of the female LEO's in our city...... but they can take me anywhere they want.... some of the best looking women ... whoa.

How do you approach a FEMALE LEO for a date ?

you just ask...
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Equal pay for equal work? Not in my 20 years of service. Different physical requirements, different priority assignments, different beat assignments, double officer cars while men rode alone... Hardly equality.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    A lot of people forget or don't understand that the fighting and such is a small part of the job. There is a lot more to it than that, each individual brings weakness and strength to the plate. With all that said, There are a lot of female LEO's out there that have no business being on the street. There are also a lot of males that are the same. Those get washed out sooner or later anyway.
    +1 to SIXTO.

The same statement can be said for in the military as-well. I am in a Special Ops (not SF) unit that has females in the teams. There are some that shoot better the most of the guys, and then there are those you don't trust with a potato gun. There are some I would not get into the pit with during hand to hand, don't want to be embarassed.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ecorrigan View Post
    Ok. With all due respect, your reply made no sense to me whatsoever. I'm just curious as to people feel women can perform this job as well as their male counterparts! I'm not sure if I believe they can, but that's my opinion. I don't want any officer to get hurt in performance of their duties, male or female. I just feel there are some things that a Male officer could do several times better than a female.
    All I'm looking for is what you think and why. The sentence: '...it makes no difference to me.' isn't much but it's your opinion.
    I don't doubt women can in most cases, outshoot men, that's not the issue. I just want to know (as said above) if others feel they can do as good of a job as the men can. Don't take this as being sexist, just my opinion!!
    Your opinion is sexist, and to put it mildly it's also extremely aggrivating as well.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Well as I said, I don't want it to be taken that way. I'm just expressing an opinion and inviting input from others in hopes that they can shed some light on this from a different angle than what I'm looking at it from! I'm definitely open to changing my opinion, I just worry about the well-being of someone who might not be able to perform the job to standards.
    Please keep in mind a recent amendment I made stating that maybe my problem isn't with female officers at all, but officers in general who may or may not be able to perform the job requirements regardless of gender! If a woman can do it, but a man can't then I guess that's where my concern lies!

I think Sixto summarized it well. Good and bad, pluses and minuses. He's just more articulate than I.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    My experience: 6 years infantry (Army, male only), going on 6 as a career counselor (gender interchangeable)

As far as the grunt life, if you can shoot move and communicate with your 100 or so pounds of gear, you're welcome on my squad. If not, you'll be retrained until you meet the standard or it is determined that you can't meet the standard.

Doing pushups, situps, and running two miles is not a combat related skill. These tests are designed to roughly gauge fitness. The standards are different between men and women because men and women are different.

Same goes for body fat. Were female Soldiers held to the same body fat standards as the males, they would be largely unfit for duty.

Now for performance standards, there should be no "normalization" as they call it. If my job requires me to be able to lift 300 pounds, everyone who does my job should do the same. If I have to throw a grenade 35 meters, so should the girls.

The reason for the exclusion of women from combat arms is political, and not tactical.

I had an Aikido sensei who couldn't have been more than 4'9". I doubt that the average 6' 250 pound cop could have wrestled her to the ground if she was inclined to resist.

Hand to hand combat is rarely about strength or speed. It's all timing, initiative, dedication, and leverage.

If a peace officer relies solely on his brute strength, he will eventually meet somebody with more of it.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links