Female LEO's

This is a discussion on Female LEO's within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In just about any field you are going to find some people who can do their job well and others that should have chosen another ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Female LEO's

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    In just about any field you are going to find some people who can do their job well and others that should have chosen another line of work.
    Gender really has nothing to do with it. A postition in LE does require physical strength as part of the job. Some women have that physical strength and some don't. The same can be said of their male counterparts.
    A woman who keeps herself in good physical condition can easily be physically stronger than a man who doesn't keep himself in good shape.
    Before I "retired" I did a "mans job" I built racing engines. One of the mealy mouth punks I worked with, once made a smart comment about having to lift the engine parts for the "little wimp". That got his butt chased around the shop by a very angry little woman carrying a fully assembled cylinder head that almost made a large dent in the top of his head.
    Please don't make the assumption that a woman physically can't handle certain jobs, just because of their gender. To do so could end up getting you hurt one day.
    Oh and never underestimate a woman, angry or not
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I work with woman officers on occasion. One is the Police Chief of a small town.Another is a Deputy and yet another one is a Police Chief of even a smaller town.

One of them is a no BS sort of woman. She is of average build and although she ain't really hot, she is nothing to be ashamed of, is very pleasant to look at.
    She was challenged by a big ole drunk redneck that stated that she wasn't big enough to take him in. She stated that she did'nt have to be big, that she would cheat and make it happen anyway. When he took a step toward her she planted a 9mm right in front if him, throwing gravel all over him and told him that the next one would be in his chest. He complied.

She filled in the report, got it investigated by the Sheriff and crew since a shot was fired,and the report backed her up. She was at work the next day. When the redneck was interviewed, he stated that he had no doubt that she would have put one in his chest and he made the decision to comply.

She does well at her job.

The other Police Chief is pretty much worthless. To her it's just a job and she rarely even carries a gun. The first time I met her and shook her hand, I was not impressed. She barely gets out of the office and expects everyone else to go hands on, even is she is the principal officer.

The other being a Deputy is a whopping 5'1" but she has been at it for 20+ years. She is a school resource officer, alternating between two schools a few days a week. She gets a lot of respect, has a good repoir with the kids and teachers and is very proactive. As small as she is, she can act like she is demon possessed in a fight. She has been put in the hospital twice that I know of, and both of the offenders are still in jail. Even so, she'll jump in where she needs to in a heartbeat, and I respect that.

When you talk about women in Law Enforcement, you really cant paint them with a broad brush. As in any other job, some are called to it, some see it as a job and no more than that and others are dismal at it, but its really no different than the men.

You just have to judge each one on their own individual merits, and work with whatever they have to offer.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Northwest part of God's Country in Montana
    I couldn't agree more Rugergirl. I'll be the first to admit that if I'm not in the proper physical shape to perform any duty then maybe I should find a different line of work. I guess if this whole subject were based on Strength and Physical Stature, we'd have police forces of nothing but Mr. Universe Contestants and that's about it!
    I agree that the job is about 2-3% physical and the rest of it falls into several other categories! Women have about as many different advantages over us men as we do over them. I guess it'd turn out to be a draw but again, I'm always open-minded!
    In a crisis you don't rise to the occasion but rather default to your level of training!

Forgiveness is between them and God, it's my job to arrange the meeting!
    -John W. Creasy (Man on Fire)

Daddy Warcrimes - gotta disagree brother. There are (I know this is a "little" off topic) many good reasons why women are not in front line combat units, women's ability to fight, engage the enemy, kill the enemy and save a buddies life ARE NOT ANY OF THOSE REASONS.

Some of those reason are -
    1) you double the amount of medical units (Corpsmen or Medics) that a unit has to train and deploy with
    2) The strongest woman in the world is not a whole lot stronger than a moderately strong man, a weaker male is stronger than the vast majority of women.
    3) You dont think some kind of sex trade is going to pick up in units on the front lines? seriously? have you spent time around young soldiers and Marines? This is bad for morale and bad for many helth reasons
    4) Men are big sissies when it comes to seeing women hurt - I strongly doubt that any amount of training will ever over come that.
    5) The US Armed forces are around to defend our country, not as a social experiment.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Now back to the topic at hand:
    LE should in my opinion be based on who individually fits the bill - we NEED women working as cops, there are so manythings that they can do that men either can't do, or can't do as well. There are also things that men do that women just can't do as well (SWAT any one?)
    Point is that there is certainly a place that women need to fill on any well rounded department, but we as LEO's need to keep in mind the abilities and limitations that women are bringing to this traditionally male only field.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

VIP Member

Female LEO's

I've seen some women I would not want to meet in a dark alley.
    One was a LEO. So it just depends on the person.
    I've seen another other lady LEO that was drop dead gorgeous
    and she was most effective dealing with youth.
    So the issue is for the head LEO to assign their personnel as to their capabilities and for the average citizen to expect / demand that they do their job.
    <
    I notice from listening to the scanner that when ever possible, that back up is assigned for expected dangerous calls with male LEO"s as well.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

One of them is a no BS sort of woman. She is of average build.
    She was challenged by a big ole drunk redneck that stated that she wasn't big enough to take him in. She stated that she did'nt have to be big, that she would cheat and make it happen anyway. When he took a step toward her she planted a 9mm right in front if him, throwing gravel all over him and told him that the next one would be in his chest. He complied.

She filled in the report, got it investigated by the Sheriff and crew since a shot was fired,and the report backed her up. She was at work the next day. When the redneck was interviewed, he stated that he had no doubt that she would have put one in his chest and he made the decision to comply.

IMHO, that story is EXACTLY why smaller (and/or easily intimidated) people should not be LEO's. You shouldn't need to shoot and perhaps kill someone just because they're drunk and unruly.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    IMHO, that story is EXACTLY why smaller (and/or easily intimidated) people should not be LEO's. You shouldn't need to shoot and perhaps kill someone just because they're drunk and unruly.

-
    Agreed. A stunt like that could cost nearly any LEO their job, regardless as to where they work! You should never fire a warning shot. If you feel you can't handle the situation, call for backup and use the different force options given to you! A Taser would have been sufficient and would have gotten the point across just as well as shooting a bullet into the ground!
    What about bystanders? Can you say Ricochet? Can you say 'Law-Suit?'
    In a crisis you don't rise to the occasion but rather default to your level of training!

I had the privilege of attending my cousin's state trooper graduation. One of his classmates was a woman, approximately 5'2" and maybe 110 lbs. Her duty .45 in its duty rig rode to the middle of her rib cage. WV is a very rural place in the majority of the state and very few depts have 24 hr response. So backup is minimal if at all on some calls.

I am 6'3" 280+ lbs and pretty strong. If somebody my size is strung out on meth or the flavor of the week in drugs and alcohol when she shows up and decides to buck...she is not going to be able to physically handle them by herself. That leaves her with no other resort but weaponry. They carry no tasers, or batons. Only CS spray and a handgun. That is very few options. one try with the CS and then go to guns. It's not opinion...it is fact and most importantly PHYSICS. No matter how bad you think you are or confident in your training, physics wins. Just how it is. I don't think women should not be in law enforcement, just they should be better prepared to deal with possible physical disparity and what not in the field.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

So then you're of the mindset that they should increase training and also give officers more in the way of less-lethal force options rather than just the OC and weapon?!

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    When I was a teenager, I learned a lesson about underestimating a woman because of size or strength... I was enrolled in a summer recreation program when I was about 13, and one of the "counselors" was a woman just a little over 5 feet tall. She was a karate instructor and she was teaching simple rolls and throws on the rubber mats... at 13, I was nearly a foot taller than her and at least 30 pounds heavier than her, and in my arrogance and naivete', I said something about this being fun and all, but a woman her size could not stop a man (boy) my size.

Well, she challenged me to try to grab her. I laughed and said it wasn't fair... She agreed. But, I humored her.

Lemme tell you... to say she that she threw me around the mat really doesn't do justice to the display that happened over the next 2 minutes. She slapped my butt on that rubber 3 or 4 times before I got mad and frustrated, and then I charged her fast and reached for her throat... she let out a mighty "keeeeYA!" and tossed my 160 pound butt to the mat like a rag doll and knocked the wind outta me... it took a long time to live that down.

Lesson learned.

A couple years later, she made the local news... it seems she was in a laundromat in the middle of the night, when 3 large thugs came in with the intention of relieving her of her purse and her virtue. One was lucky enough to run away... the second one got knocked out and a broken arm, and the third had one of his testicles crushed like a grape, requiring surgical removal...

I always say, "Yes, ma'am..."
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    To rebut:
    Quote Originally Posted by usmc3169 View Post
    1) you double the amount of medical units (Corpsmen or Medics) that a unit has to train and deploy with
    I'm curious as to how this figure is derived. While I can't say with any certainty I wouldn't think the logistics would change significantly.
    2) The strongest woman in the world is not a whole lot stronger than a moderately strong man, a weaker male is stronger than the vast majority of women.
    This would be a concern to me if the jobs in question depended that much on strength, which I don't believe they do. My concept is to evaluate performance on task specific to the performance of that duty.

I also disagree with the law of demographic averages determining job qualifications. If the average white man wasn't as strong as the average black man, should that preclude his service even if he meets the standards?

3) You dont think some kind of sex trade is going to pick up in units on the front lines? seriously? have you spent time around young soldiers and Marines? This is bad for morale and bad for many helth reasons
    Yes, but this has nothing to do with the capabilities of the service member.

4) Men are big sissies when it comes to seeing women hurt - I strongly doubt that any amount of training will ever over come that.
    This is a social issue, that does not have anything to do with the capabilities of the service member. I am not aware of any evidence to support this claim.
    5) The US Armed forces are around to defend our country, not as a social experiment.
    Correct. The intent behind any such integration should be to expand the pool of qualified warfighters. With more applicants, we can be more selective in our hiring. Alternatively, we can entice personnel into our shortages more economically.

Now please don't get me wrong. I'm well aware that this isn't practical given the social differences between the sexes.
    What I am saying is that the inhibitors are almost entirely social and political rather than addressing the actual capabilities of the individual.

I know full well there would be extreme discipline problems if such integration were to occur. I also know the military would eventually get over it.
    Last edited by Daddy Warcrimes; March 11th, 2009 at 08:09 PM.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    You guys don't know some of the officers on my old department! I don't care which restroom a person uses as long as they get the job done. What I don't agree with is departments having different physical fitness requirements for male and female. If the standard is x push ups y sit ups and z time on the run and everyone meets the same standard, I have no problem with it. I also don't think they should adjust the requirements for age. You either meet the standard or you don't.
    A friend of mine was the second female firefighter hired by my county. As she said, that standpipe pack doesn't suddenly weigh 40% less when she reports for work, so why shouldn't she have to meet the same standard? That being said, I know plenty of female officers that can kick the snot out of some of the male officers on my old department.
    +1 To the part in bold. If there is a standard that a man needs to reach to be hired and a woman can reach that same standard I'm all for it. If she can't, then no!
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Daddy WarCrimes -
    point 1) more medical personel. When you have females in a unit and they need to be "checked out" by a Corpsman/Medic then it is going to have to be done by a female... genereally speaking. I am not talking about shots in the shoulder or stick out your tongue and say AWWWW. I am talking about "hey doc, it hurts when I pee" or "I think I pulled my groin muscle" or "Oh I fell on a conditioning hike and broke a rib" Point being that now if you have females in that platoon, then that platoon now needs a male and a female "doc" to take care of the troops.

Point 2) Infantry DOES depend very heavily on strength, in fact it relies so heavily on it that MOST men aren't really qualified to do the job. 20 - 25 mile conditioning hikes with flak, helmet, web gear, 40-50 pound back and your share of the crew served weapons might not kill you at the end, but are you ready to fight? Women do not have the muscle mass, shoulder strength or the pelvic design to keep up on that kind of hike. Hell I have seen over 30% of a Company of Marines fall out of a hike like that. Also, have you ever been in SUSTAINED urban combat - I am talking days of intense fighting and moving from house to house fighting bad dudes. I am NOT talking patrolling in baghdad getting a few shots taken at you. I did it for a few weeks in Falluja in 2004 - it was exhausting. I am 5'8" (not to big) I weigh about 180 pounds and work out daily and almost always max out the Marine Corps physical fitness test. I have done over a hundred conditioning hikes over 5 miles and have never failed to complete the hike. I am no push over, but that fight in the city wore my ass out.

Point 3) I have seen enough Marines taken out of action (particularly in the invasion of Iraq in 2003) by dysentary to know that disease and hygene are a HUGE deal in combat. Add venereal disease, pregnancy, periods and yeast infections to the mix and you are cutting your combat ready troops even further.

Point 4) A social issue is an issue non the less. You cant change how people are hard wired. Men are instinctually driven to protect women... its just the way it is. We are the weaker sex.

Point 5) Widening the pool of applicants in this manner only adds problems onto problems. The bennefits are far outweighed by the detractions.

Bottom line - Women serve in VERY valuable roles in the military - they are fine fighter pilots, intelligent analysts, Drone operators, Helicopter pilots, MP's, etc. etc. etc. Women are doing great things in Iraq right now, they are killing Insurgents and doing it well. And while I would feel perfectly alright having a woman on a foot patrol with me in baghdad or falluja, I would be very skeptical about bringing a woman along on a 20 day foot patrol operation in the mountains of afghanistan.

Men and women are equal but different. Its just the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by ecorrigan View Post
    So then you're of the mindset that they should increase training and also give officers more in the way of less-lethal force options rather than just the OC and weapon?!
    I think all training goals and expectations should be equal. I think that men and women are just different in a LOT of ways. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. In correctional facilities especially male ones...female officers are very effective at de-escalation and general supervision of inmates. Even most of the hardcore felons are taught repspect for their momma and women in general, so they tend to listen when a female officer gives orders. However when it comes to putting one of these pillar of society on the ground or fighting toe to toe with them the men usually fare better. Yes... physical confrontation is a SMALL part of LEO and their everyday job, but when you throw in other variables such as slow or nonexistent backup with physical disparity and lack of nonlethal options for a female officer then the chances of them getting hurt or killed go up exponentially. Some departments are doing their female officers and public a great disservice risking boths safety by fielding these officers unprepared or unequipped. The other posts about small or timid men also apply, i have worked with a LOT of LEO and there are some men who should not be out there doing this job, due to their confidence, lack of physical ability, etc. All of the above apply.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links