Female LEO's - Page 5

Female LEO's

This is a discussion on Female LEO's within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Having been in LE since the 70's I've seen lots of cops come and go. There are males in the job who are weaker and ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Female LEO's

Having been in LE since the 70's I've seen lots of cops come and go.

There are males in the job who are weaker and smaller than some females.

LE & the communties have been better served for having women in thier ranks

It's not if you can physically kick the guys butt it's the mental attitude that your willing to leave it all out there when the poop hit the fan.

I had a female friend ( 5 foot nuthin) get attacked by a Adam Henry who stood 6'6" and over 300 pounds. He was beating her with her own flashlight until she pulled her issued S&W 686 and ventilated his heart. It was a tought fight but she had the will to win. I've seen alot bigger guys not want to engage. So it's not about being male of female it's about being mentally tough enough to win.

That being said fighting is such a small part of the job and Cops always hunt and fight in packs.

A side note,the worse fights I have had were with females, they have no rules and no sense of quiting even when over matched. Winning a fight with them is like trying to win an argument with them.. same results.

However my favorite thing to do is get a rookie to try to arrest a mad women by himself, never turns out well for him, but it's some of the funniest stuff you'll ever see.
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

Since the thread is about female LEO's, I don't quite understand the need for multiple posts about combat troops...doesn't seem to be the topic. And the LEO's in my county and small city certainly couldn't handle the bizzillion mile march straight up some Afgani mountain nor the year long door to door Iraqi urban combat fighting missions...and they are all male. The last state trooper that pulled me over was at least 50lbs overweight and in his 50's--so I really doubt the Army'd want him on the front lines doing combat missions either. All of my relatives that are LEO are not physically capable of running. Seems to little ole me that soldiers and LEO are two different occupations with two different physical sets of expectations so comparing female soldiers to female LEO is ...well...apples to oranges.

I know more LEO's who are obese than I do LEO's who are He-Mans who can single-handedly take down 300lb drunk ninjas. Somehow I think being obese would be a greater detriment for a LEO than lacking male anatomy....yet obese LEO are the norm in my area. For the year I've been reading this site, I cannot recall ever seeing a "fat LEO" thread, nor can I imagine that it would last seeing as it is grossly inappropriate....yet many people posting on this thread feel justified making sexist comments in the name of "upper body strength" and "physical requirements".

To call this thread a "discussion" is misleading and wrong. To state that women are incapable of being good LEO's simply because of their gender is sexism, pure and simple. So sorry that you feel threatened by women in LEO positions but female LEO's are here to stay and they don't need your permission nor approval.

Northwest part of God's Country in Montana
    Not completely true. I know some people who are the smartest individuals I've ever met, both street-wise and book-wise, but I wouldn't count on them to back my play in a SHTF scenario. These are men I'm talking about too! I know some women that don't have much in the way of brains (no disrespect meant) that I wouldn't want to tussle with!
    While we've mentioned that physical, brute strength makes up a small portion of the total job description, I think it does mean something. I've seen our local LEO's do more tire-change-assists and pushing vehicles from snow drifts than I have wrestling bad guys and it never seems the people small in stature are of much help, whether they're male or female!!
    In a crisis you don't rise to the occasion but rather default to your level of training!

Forgiveness is between them and God, it's my job to arrange the meeting!
    -John W. Creasy (Man on Fire)

GG12, sorry to hear that your local Le seem to be fat slobs - I assure you that this is NOT the case in other parts of the country. I see alot more fit individuals than not in any of our local LE - whether that be city or state officers. Must be part of that "rugged Alaskan" thing. Any how, like I said before women play an important part of any LE agency - there are fewer of them than men, but it seems to me from what I have seen up here that they do just fine holding their own.

The whole military thing was brought up as a side discussion directly related to the topic at hand - you dont like it... well no one was forcing you to read it.

Finally, I dont recall any one saying that women are "incapable of being good LEO's" - of course I will re read the entire forum to check. be right back.

yup I am sure of it - not one post said that women were incapable of being good LEO's.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

I'm the one that started this thread and if I ever gave anyone the impression that women are incapable of being good law enforcement officers then you've either misread or misunderstood the whole thing! I know that women have their place, as do men! I don't argue that women can do the job, I know they can. My concern is with people, regardless of gender, that are too small in stature, weak (I hate that word) or otherwise incapable of performing their duties!
    I don't know if you guys (and gals) have ever watched the show on A&E called Rookies last year... there was a female Rookie officer on Miami PD that had some difficulty changing a flat on a van that was stopped along side the road. I'm not saying she couldn't do it cause she's a woman, I'm just concerned with people of that stature that can't do a task like that, let-alone anything more physical! I know of a guy that stands over 6-feet tall and doesn't have the muscle to change a tire, or even jack the vehicle up. I know this because I stopped to help him change a flat and ended up doing it myself!
    Women can do the job and I agree that they are here to stay, thank god!! I just don't agree with the different standards for fitness or anthing else along the lines like that!
    In a crisis you don't rise to the occasion but rather default to your level of training!

Administrator
    Well, most Police departments either mandate or prefer that all LEO's request back-up before engaging in any potentially life threatening scenarios.
    I know that even in my relatively "major crime free" area our male officers just automatically back-up our other male officers as a matter of concern and courtesy even for simple traffic stops. Another car will always show up until a determination is made as to if they are likely to be needed or not.

I think that it says a lot for male Police officers that the vast majority of them are always willing to offer extremely quick back-up response to female officers as well as Brother officers.

They do not want to anything bad to happen to any of their own - no matter if male or female.
    The bottom line is that they all want to go home at the end of their work day.

Since they are willing to work as a team with all officers having their own individual strengths and weaknesses - I don't have any problem with LEO being female.
    No matter how big or how tough any cop is - there is always the likelihood that any LEO (male or female) is going to encounter a BG that is bigger and badder.
    LEO have a decided advantage of Strength In Numbers.
    That is the way it should be.

All officers understand and accept the potential daily danger that goes with the territory.
    Being a cop never was without its risks.

If you are a female and you want to be a LEO - get yourself into good physical condition and go for it.
    It's a rewarding career if you go into it for the right reasons.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Tasers are a great equalizer.

Quote Originally Posted by usmc3169 View Post
    Paul G - reference the lady dead lifting 475 - she needs to get into competitions. The US winner for women in any catergory last year at the national championship was 484 pounds. And she weighs about 180 pounds.
    Wow. Now you got my curiosity up. I'll have to ask her why she doesn't compete.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ecorrigan View Post
    Not completely true. I know some people who are the smartest individuals I've ever met, both street-wise and book-wise, but I wouldn't count on them to back my play in a SHTF scenario. These are men I'm talking about too! I know some women that don't have much in the way of brains (no disrespect meant) that I wouldn't want to tussle with!
    While we've mentioned that physical, brute strength makes up a small portion of the total job description, I think it does mean something. I've seen our local LEO's do more tire-change-assists and pushing vehicles from snow drifts than I have wrestling bad guys and it never seems the people small in stature are of much help, whether they're male or female!!
    Uh-oh, you're generalizing again. About 6 months ago the starter in my Bronco(full size) seized up. I had somewhere I had to be and no time to wait. I pushed it out of the driveway, and over to the curb, got out another vehicle and made it to my appointment on time. I'll confess I had some help, my daughter did the steering. On the way home I stopped at the auto parts store, got a new starter, came home and pushed it back up the driveway and replaced the starter.
    BTW I'm 5'4", 125 lbs. Never underestimate the little people, especially a determined woman
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

I'm the one that started this thread and if I ever gave anyone the impression that women are incapable of being good law enforcement officers then you've either misread or misunderstood the whole thing! I know that women have their place, as do men!....
    Ahhh, so now the real truth comes out...
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    Uh-oh, you're generalizing again.
    My apologies, not my intention. I hope you can pretty much tell what I'm trying to say cause it's not coming out the way I want it to when I put it into words!!

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    My apologies, not my intention. I hope you can pretty much tell what I'm trying to say cause it's not coming out the way I want it to when I put it into words!!
    Not to worry I was just razzing you a little.
    But seriously size is not always an accurate measure of strength.
    I know other women who are my size and larger who can't lift or move half the things I can.
    Part of my strength comes from many years of using my muscles twisting wrenches and carting heavy parts around, and developing more muscle under the hood
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Now now!! Let's not get to talking about those 'other muscles'!!

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    There are a couple women in my LEO academy class, some are under 5'5" and weigh less than 120lbs. Some of them are girly girls and I wouldn't want them to back me up. Some of the others, I think, with some more training would be very formidable. However there are some guys in my class who are not quite physically where I'd want them in order to back me up either. IMO, if a small female wants to be an LEO, she had better know how to handle herself. I am not big, 5'6" 140lbs, but I know a fair amount about weapons and H2H, that I can take pretty much take care of myself. Of course, the most important weapons are the mind and mouth. And yes, mindset defininately has a lot to do with it. There was an offduty female LEO that was shot in the heart with a .357 Magnum, but because of her mindset, she shot and killed the bad guy, survived, and went back on the road. That is what I'm talking about.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    MP, you're in a LEO school (not sure the type of school, city, state, national) and already pre-judging on who can back you up??? I believe you are having an premature r(ejection).

School is one thing...the streets, entirely different. What's in the heart, the perseverance, the skill, and the smarts...that will overcome.

Rick

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links