Female LEO's

This is a discussion on Female LEO's within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Keep two things in mind when you read this: 1) I was once a LEO myself and loved the work and those I worked with. ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Female LEO's

Northwest part of God's Country in Montana

Female LEO's

Keep two things in mind when you read this: 1) I was once a LEO myself and loved the work and those I worked with. 2) No disrespect is meant to anyone at all by my opinion in this thread!
    I'm curious as to the general publics opinion (and the opinion of LEO's themselves) on Female Law Enforcement Officers. I know women have equal rights in today's society, but I sometimes worry about their safety and well-being. I don't know of any female officers who could, on their own, take an average male into custody on their own!
    Often-times, a female officer won't respond to a call on her own without the backup of another officer, be-it male or female. In the few episodes of COPS I've seen, it's obvious that they aren't able to perform their duties on their own. I know they are (for the most part) terrific people and some of the nicest you'll ever meet.
    Again, I don't mean any disrespect to any female cops who might be reading this.
    In my experience as a police officer, our small department had one female officer and if responding to a call she always, always, always had one of our other officers there whether she asked for it or not! I would love to have the insight and enlightenment of anyone else out there who has an opinion on this subject!
    I hope I don't offend too many with this thread!
    In a crisis you don't rise to the occasion but rather default to your level of training!

Forgiveness is between them and God, it's my job to arrange the meeting!
    -John W. Creasy (Man on Fire)

2. Remove Ads

I am offended, not that it matters to you, and not that I care if you are. As a member of the general public whose opinion you solicited, it makes no difference to me.

I'll add, I don't think it (sex) effects their performance, but have no facts or evidence to support that, just a guess. Pluses and minus to both genders in my book.

Ok. With all due respect, your reply made no sense to me whatsoever. I'm just curious as to people feel women can perform this job as well as their male counterparts! I'm not sure if I believe they can, but that's my opinion. I don't want any officer to get hurt in performance of their duties, male or female. I just feel there are some things that a Male officer could do several times better than a female.
    All I'm looking for is what you think and why. The sentence: '...it makes no difference to me.' isn't much but it's your opinion.
    I don't doubt women can in most cases, outshoot men, that's not the issue. I just want to know (as said above) if others feel they can do as good of a job as the men can. Don't take this as being sexist, just my opinion!!
    In a crisis you don't rise to the occasion but rather default to your level of training!

I know of a female LEO here in town that is a hair over 5' and will flatten any guy that tries to mess with her. What is the dept view on backup - is it as soon as someone starts mouthing off backup is called? Maybe it's just a reflection of the public thinking they can get smart with the lady cop. Maybe it's a reflection of official procedure - females get searched by female cops and males get searched by male cops.

They all carry guns, OC and tazers and I don't want to mess with any of them.

Being only 35 I am probably in a minority of my age group. I do believe there are certain jobs only men should perform, LEO, Firefighter, and soldier (combat specialty) are the main ones.

I respect all women, as life comes from them and anyone will admit that most of the time when there is danger it is Mom that we look for.

With that said, I am 6' 230(ish) Lbs and there is no way a woman Firefighter with full bunker gear will be able to drag me out of a burning building. If I were foolish enough to resist arrest by a female LEO I have a good suspicion they would need their OC spray or gun to fully subdue me. We don't need to go in to the soldier part right now, just know I have many reasons.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Paco beat me to it. Men and women may have equal rights, but they do not have equal abilities. I have pretty much the same list as Paco...LEO, firefighter and military(not just combat soldiers) and for much the same reasons.

I was in Engineering in the Navy, and most of the women simply couldn't do the job. Some of the men couldn't either. When you need a 24" valve opened so that you can continue to launch and recover aircraft, that is not the time to have a 4'10, 90 pound female on watch.

With tools and technology improving, women will be able to at least perform the minimal duties of more and more jobs, but I don't think I will ever believe they will perform them equally.

The fact that the minimum physical requirements are different and will always be different is a testament to that.

I also believe that the 10-15% of men who can't physically do the job shouldn't be doing it either.

There are, of course, exceptions to the rule and there are females who are stronger and faster than most men. I personally do not believe that those exceptions make up for the majority who cannot.

Flame away.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

You guys don't know some of the officers on my old department! I don't care which restroom a person uses as long as they get the job done. What I don't agree with is departments having different physical fitness requirements for male and female. If the standard is x push ups y sit ups and z time on the run and everyone meets the same standard, I have no problem with it. I also don't think they should adjust the requirements for age. You either meet the standard or you don't.
    A friend of mine was the second female firefighter hired by my county. As she said, that standpipe pack doesn't suddenly weigh 40% less when she reports for work, so why shouldn't she have to meet the same standard? That being said, I know plenty of female officers that can kick the snot out of some of the male officers on my old department.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Personally, I think women in uniform are hot! I have no bias or preconceived notions when it comes to female LEO's compared to male. Do I look at women LEO's as physically weaker? Possibly......but isn't that why they carry a sidearm and handcuffs, and other hardware? No...I'm not into that...just sayin'.

I think Paco already covered my response. Basically for me... I see it as a physical issue. In some aspects of the LEO world I don't believe the average female LEO can cut it physically in certain circumstances. That doesn't mean they're not smarter or faster than their male counterparts.

The simple fact of the matter is that the average 100lbs soaking wet female isn't going to be able to handle a 6'4 220lb pissed off or well trained male unless she's Bruce LeeAnne. And the firefighter comments are fitting as well. The average female body isn't built for certain activities.

And yes I have first hand knowledge of the LEO scenario..in a training environment(all in good fun). I was the 6'1 220lb guy on 2 female LEO's, neither of which had any capability to handle me at all with the exception of being able to shoot me from a distance before I got to them. When I did get to them, physically, it was over every time.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I do have some bias but like a good quote I heard said "The lord made people, but Sam Colt made them equal."

Enough said!
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Yes but there are times when an officer, male or female, is not justified in shooting an individual. A mentally handicapped person who will not settle down and who's being taken into custody for their safety, you cannot shoot them just because they're bigger and won't listen to you! That's why they have less-lethal force options.
    I still don't agree with a woman in that line of work though!!

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    Being only 35 I am probably in a minority of my age group. I do believe there are certain jobs only men should perform, LEO, Firefighter, and soldier (combat specialty) are the main ones.

I respect all women, as life comes from them and anyone will admit that most of the time when there is danger it is Mom that we look for.

With that said, I am 6' 230(ish) Lbs and there is no way a woman Firefighter with full bunker gear will be able to drag me out of a burning building. If I were foolish enough to resist arrest by a female LEO I have a good suspicion they would need their OC spray or gun to fully subdue me. We don't need to go in to the soldier part right now, just know I have many reasons.

+1
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Personally, I think women in uniform are hot! I have no bias or preconceived notions when it comes to female LEO's compared to male. Do I look at women LEO's as physically weaker? Possibly......but isn't that why they carry a sidearm and handcuffs, and other hardware? No...I'm not into that...just sayin'.
    Yup!

Quote Originally Posted by Dal1Celt View Post
    I do have some bias but like a good quote I heard said "The lord made people, but Sam Colt made them equal."

Enough said!
    Yup!
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

DC Founder
    I believe that women, for the most part, hold their own in law enforcement. I've met some that are no BS and are able to handle some pretty darned big men. I also know of some small frame men that have the same "problems" that you have attributed to women. And, to be fair, I know some women that are as you described. IMO the problem you are noticing is a difference in LE of today and that of a couple of decades back. On the larger departments there are a significant number of people that are just in the career field as a job. No different to them than working in an office. It didn't use to be that way.

All that being said, women are necessary for a thorough search of another female and are sometimes able to diffuse situations that a man would probably escalate. I don't like to see any requirements relaxed to specifically accommodate them, but I like seeing women on the beat.

I will also add that I am not a full time LEO, but rather a reserve with the Sheriff's Office.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I'm former LEO and In the past the departments use to have height and weight requirements,but with our litigous society all that went away,When I see girls in uniform that are 5 feet tall and might weigh 100 pounds soaking wet I'm thinking if they run into a hardcore felon and not joe public doesn't wanta break any laws or resist arrest,I have no doubt what the outcome will be.reminds me of an incident where a female officer on a traffic stop was punched in the face by a large male and suffered facial fractures,had he wanted to kill her he could have used her own weapon
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links