Defensive Carry banner

What gun are you issued.. and what gun to you carry

3K views 43 replies 34 participants last post by  Avenger 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I have been in the reserve academy for the past two months, with a bit still to go. Firearms was last month. Now I have always considered myself a decent shot, but I was worried when I found out my department issued Glock 17s. I have never been a Glock fan and never really liked the way they fit in my hand. None the less I had to use this gun throughout the academy, and after that I will be allowed to qualify with whatever I want.

After shooting the Glock I might just stick with it, as I like 9mm and I ended up qualifying with a 91% average (3rd in the class).

I am kinda curious what guns are issued in other departments and if you stuck with those, or chose to carry your own. A lot of deputies in my county carry 1911s, and I was thinking of that, but not looking forward to the upkeep on my personally owned gun.

#3 ·
Issued a P228. Carry a P228, and sometimes a P239, though over here I am packing the G19 on runs because that is what the rest of my team is issued...

#5 ·
Issued the G21, but I carry either the G21, or one of two Rugers, the SP-101 or the P-345. Do the deputies in your county carry 1911's on or off duty? What do your dept. guidelines say regarding carry weapons?

#9 ·
Mulle,

They carry 1911's on and off duty. Our county basically says if its 9mm or bigger and you can qualify with it you can carry it.

For backup guns anything .22 caliber or bigger is ok.

#10 ·
Same here, M9. Now, I've been known to carry a M9, but not often. 99.9% of the time it's either a g19 or a g30

#12 ·
A lot of deputies in my county carry 1911s, and I was thinking of that, but not looking forward to the upkeep on my personally owned gun.

I'm curious. How does the upkeep on a personally owned gun differ from that on one that the department issues?

#13 ·
If something breaks on the department gun I take it back and they give me a loaner and repair my gun. On a personally owned gun I have to get it repaired. If they have a qualified armorer, then it might be cheaper then sending it to a smith, if not, I pay full price.

#15 ·
We get to choose our own in our county. 9mm 40 or 45acp. I chose the XD
5" in ACP. Off duty, I normally carry my 1911 in ACP or an XD sup compact in 9mm.

c

#16 ·
I have to buy my own. I carry a Beretta Mini Cougar 9mm and my BUG is a custom S&W 360 9mm snubby. Upkeep is not an issue for two reasons - 1. I buy quality weapons and take very good care of them, 2. Should one break I have other guns that I qualify with that I would carry instead, any repair costs would be reimbursed to me by the municipality I work for.

#20 ·
My department issues the Beretta 96FS (we are supposed to be getting Glock 22s later this year if that survived the budget crisis), Ruger Mini-14 carbines, and Benelli Nova shotguns. We are required to carry the Beretta on-duty and have the long guns available.

Off-duty and backup weapons are allowed, and can be pretty much any chambering including and between .380ACP and .45 Colt (9x19mm, 357 SIG, .38 Spl., .357 Magnum, .40S&W, 10mm Auto, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, & .45ACP).

I carry a S&W 37-2 DAO Airweight with CT 405 grips as a BUG and either a HK P7 9x19mm or Glock 36 .45ACP off-duty.

#23 ·
we don't have a official issue, we buy our own
we do get a good deal on the standard G17 purchased through our dept, but we can carry any 9mm or 45acp glock, sig, HK, or S&W

I currently carry the G17

#25 ·
Like Rathos I always thought of the Glock as a toy gun until I had to qualify with the G19, from the first time I shot it I fell in love with the way it shot and cleaning is a breeze, I work for the Dept of State in Iraq and am issued a G19 (plus a M4) and for my CCW I have a G26

#26 ·
My agency issues me an X26 Taser and a hardwood baton. I buy the rest of my weapons, be it OC spray, collapsible batons, or firearms. There are policies regarding all of these items, of course. Most duty pistols are .40 DA autoloaders, by policy.

I carry SIG P229s as "primary" pistols at work, and by choice, on my own time, usually carry the same.

Don't think this means I work for a small agency! There are several thousand of us, most on patrol, in uniform. In this region of the country, it is normal for police officers to be required to provide their own weapons,and from what I have read and heard, it is largely the same nationwide. I believe most LEOs in the USA buy their own weapons.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.