How Much Does our PD Have to Tell Us?

This is a discussion on How Much Does our PD Have to Tell Us? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is not a shoot/don't shoot scenario but a question about interacting with law enforcement in our neighborhood. I was driving home with two of ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Much Does our PD Have to Tell Us?

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar

How Much Does our PD Have to Tell Us?

This is not a shoot/don't shoot scenario but a question about interacting with law enforcement in our neighborhood.

I was driving home with two of my kids at nearly 10 PM tonight when I turn onto one of our streets (we are in a corner house) and see two local PD cars sitting there, unmanned. There was some computer equipment inside the vehicles that was obviously powered on.

First of all, it is unusual to see police cars in our neighborhood, except for an occasional drive through for good measure. Secondly, while I do not know the people whose home was right by the cars, I do know them to be friendly people, not those that we might expect to have any problems (i.e. domestic violence, loud music, etc.).

I tried to call the local PD to inquire as to what was going on (possibly looking for a BG near the creek?) but could not get to the right department.

I am wondering how much the local PD is obligated to tell me if I want to know what is going on in my area. Anyone know the answer to this?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by McPatrickClan View Post
    This is not a shoot/don't shoot scenario but a question about interacting with law enforcement in our neighborhood.

I was driving home with two of my kids at nearly 10 PM tonight when I turn onto one of our streets (we are in a corner house) and see two local PD cars sitting there, unmanned. There was some computer equipment inside the vehicles that was obviously powered on.

First of all, it is unusual to see police cars in our neighborhood, except for an occasional drive through for good measure. Secondly, while I do not know the people whose home was right by the cars, I do know them to be friendly people, not those that we might expect to have any problems (i.e. domestic violence, loud music, etc.).

I tried to call the local PD to inquire as to what was going on (possibly looking for a BG near the creek?) but could not get to the right department.

I am wondering how much the local PD is obligated to tell me if I want to know what is going on in my area. Anyone know the answer to this?
    I doubt that they will share much over the phone.
    If, however, you know one of the cops, or approach them and strike up a conversaton, you may get a little further.
    Probably a good idea on their part to keep things close to the vest.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    They dont have to tell you anything.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    They might tell you to MYOB. Curiousity notwithstanding. Could be a sensitive issue. Depends on the local flavor of the department.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I was going to say that, but you beat me to it.

Biker

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar
    I figured that was the case, but I think the second post was correct, it's wise to keep things close to the vest. Obviously, I just want to know so I can be an aware citizen.

, it's wise to keep things close to the vest.
    Absolutely. If the public knew how little control was present/possible, there would be much more outcry, and much more "vigilantism"...and fewer tax dollars.

Administrator
    I figured that was the case, but I think the second post was correct, it's wise to keep things close to the vest. Obviously, I just want to know so I can be an aware citizen.
    I can appreciate that, I would be wondering too if there was a couple of cruisers in my neighborhood. However, if I needed to know, I would be told.

Could you imagine if you had a squabble with your wife and all your neighbors kept hounding the police to tell them why they were there? Wouldn't you prefer them to keep quiet about that? I would.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I can appreciate that, I would be wondering too if there was a couple of cruisers in my neighborhood. However, if I needed to know, I would be told.

Could you imagine if you had a squabble with your wife and all your neighbors kept hounding the police to tell them why they were there? Wouldn't you prefer them to keep quiet about that? I would.
    Me too.

Do you really want your neighbors knowing why the cops at at your house? I know I don't, and it's just friends stopping by to say hello. Let my neighbors think what they want. I am not in the habit of telling my neighbors what I'm up to.

Just as I don't discuss my pending knee surgery with my next door neighbor, nor their habit of smoking, I don't want them up in my business. You feel me?

Biker

Our policy was that if we were looking for a bad guy in your area we would give you a description of him and ask if you had seen him. If we were out for something like a domestic all we would tell you was that the situation was under control and there was no danger to you.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Don't have to tell you, but two cars means multiple officer response to something you don't see, or hear, so probably something inside a home and not really the neighbors business.

Pay attention to neighborhood gossip youll hear something. Everybody has one of those nosy neighbors that'll keep you up on why the cops were there...and it'll probably be way more interestign than the true story.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    A good officer will tell you...

to stay inside and keep your doors locked, if there is anything you should be worried about.

Beyond that not much.

Most weekday mornings you'll find a police cruiser parked crosswise at the bottom of my driveway for 15-20 minutes.
    After a few months a curious neighbor asked me why the cops were at my house each morning. I got a good laugh out of it and told them he's a personal friend and just having a coffee break. Coincidentally his coffee break just happens to be the same time I warm up my vehicle in the morning.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

If you are THAT curious, you may have access to a public information dispatch system. CHP has one I know, and Seattle as well. Basically, it's just a website that lists up to the minute response information for your area. If something like that is not available, then I guess you will have to just keep wondering...
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I don't want them up in my business.
    Which is why I don't have any living within shooting range
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I always ask the police 'whats going on' when I see them out. I usually just get an odd look or a short loud 'nothing' response.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links