Coast Guard Boarding Officer DOES fall under LEOSA!

Coast Guard Boarding Officer DOES fall under LEOSA!

This is a discussion on Coast Guard Boarding Officer DOES fall under LEOSA! within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Benjamin L. Booth case finding (Coast Guard Petty Officer carry protected in New York!)...

Thread: Coast Guard Boarding Officer DOES fall under LEOSA!

Outstanding. Too bad he will probably get in trouble with his chain though.
    AT3 (O-Level) United States Navy - NRA Life Member
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

Administrator
    Like we have said, a boarding officer may be covered under LEOSA, but you still need the agency's blessing to do so. Mr. Booth is still in hot water.

I'd cool my jets if I were you and proceed with caution. Mr. Booth was in New York, where a permit is required for the possession of a pistol and that permit Booth didnt have. Thats what he was charged with. Mr. Booth was not carrying on his person out and about. He was transporting the pistol to and from, the transport of said pistol was covered by LEOSA under this ruling. There was no CCW in the context of what we are talking about in play here.
    Last edited by SIXTO; March 26th, 2009 at 09:49 AM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

He definitely is in deep doodoo.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Like we have said, a boarding officer may be covered under LEOSA, but you still need the agency's blessing to do so. Mr. Booth is still in hot water. .
    The U.S. Government Accountability Office Report to the House of Representatives, Committee on the Judiciary on its 2006 Survey of Federal Civilian Law Enforcement Functions and Authorities found that as of June 30, 2006, 104 federal components employed "137,929 LEOs"."[5] "The components reported using 211 different job series titles for their LEOs", which included, inter alia, criminal investigators, correctional officers, and U.S. Coast Guard maritime law enforcement boarding officers. The Report also included a summary table of the authorities and mission of each Federal LEO.[6] A New York state trial court held on May 29, 2008 in People v. Benjamin Booth, __ N.Y.S.2d __, 2008 W.L. 2247068 (N.Y.Co.Ct 2008) that Coast Guard boarding officers are qualified LEOs within the meaning of LEOSA.[7]

Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From what I have read, that Department of Justice says that we are ok.

I also contacted PO Booth right now to get an update on his status.

Administrator
    I get what is says, but Booth was not acting within the scope of his duties. That is what is going to get him in trouble. Right or wrong, I'll be surprised if Booth makes it out of this unscathed.

Good luck.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sounds to me like this guy was being pretty dumb with his fire arm and contact with Police.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

He did everything wrong you are not supposed to do on a traffic stop...and his superiors had to send somebody to Court. He is definitely gonna see some trouble out of this in the military world at least.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I wonder if he was in uniform? And I wonder if he'll get any heat from the Coast Guard for having warrants out for him?
    Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post.

Senior Moderator
    Lieutenant Benjamin William Stevenson of the United States Coast Guard testified credibly regarding the scope and nature of the duties of the defendant as a member of the United States Coast Guard. According to Lt. Stevenson, defendant was permitted to carry a weapon when conducting operations for the Coast Guard. In addition, defendant was required to be in uniform, to use a badge and to carry an identification card when conducting operations. Subject to numerous regulations and rules, the defendant was authorized to make arrests and generally take part in law enforcement duties as part of his duties as a boarding officer with the Coast Guard. His authority to carry a weapon did not extend beyond his role as a uniformed member of the Coast Guard and he was not permitted to carry a concealed weapon while out of uniform.

If in fact the gun was an issued firearm, then he was also exempt from having a permit to own the gun as it was a government firearm.

I have a problem with the fact that he may be out there enforcing laws on the high seas with a gun, yet his command wont see fit to let him carry concealed. It just goes to illustrate that they really dont have a clue about the evil in this world if they think it stops at the beach.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Links