I have just Bugged Out

This is a discussion on I have just Bugged Out within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Not one to be content with a mere little bag, I have developed finally a comprehensive Bug Out System. The idea of this kit is ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I have just Bugged Out

Not one to be content with a mere little bag, I have developed finally a comprehensive Bug Out System. The idea of this kit is to survive the most likely scenarios I can see.

My 3 options (Rule of 3) are as follows:

#1. Most preferable: bugout to relatives in Western part of state. This is an isolated area where people will not be heading to.

#2. Second best: ride it out. I know this town well enough by now I know where the hidey holes are if I can't stay at my residence for whatever reason. I actually take long walks when I need to clear my mind (Which has been often lately) and there are all manners of places to bed down and take shelter where one would not be visible.

#3. Hoof it. Horrible idea but it could happen. It almost did tonight. If the officer had told me I was not allowed to retrieve my vehicle I'd be walkin'.

Without going into terrible detail, I am terribly concerned that even with the use of backroads (which I am learning better and better) topo maps, etc. I could very well be "stuck" in place for a while after a disaster. The reason for this is I live maybe 4000 feet from the intersection of two major highways, one of which is I 35.

Another problem with heading out on the backroads is that those country dwellers are going to take care of themselves if something crazy goes down. I could very well be walking through the reticle of a .30-06 and not even know it if it came down to that. They aren't going to take kindly to me settling down for the night, looking for water on their property, etc.

However the good news is I live right next to a river which I can follow out into the sticks if it comes right down to it. Fishing in this river is not practical. You have to understand what Texans call a river the rest of the country calls a drainage ditch. Ever seen the Rio Grande? I've walked right across it. It ain't too Grande.

However, it is water. And water is key. Everything else can be improvised, water cannot.

Other sources of water would include what I would bring with me, in addition to my purification device, and water would could probably still be had from public taps.

So in that spirit I've devised a modular Bugout System.

The Main Component is my humble backpack. It's not much and I am looking to upgrade, but it's sturdy, not too big or small, and has adequate straps and good strong external frame. Provided the load isn't excessive it's quite comfortable once it's all strapped in. This part of the system is the most basic. It contains:

the best first aid kit I have the skills to use

2 Liters of Water in a Camelback bladder
    a Katadyn Hiker Pro water purification device
    enough granola/jerky/trail mix type stuff to live on for a day by itself
    4 Cliff Bars
    4 pouches of 1 quart Gatorade mix
    2 quart sized Lexan bottles (used for waterproof storage containers of the food)
    3 days worth of freezer bag cooking meals
    Mess kit
    2 Extra freezer bags
    Bottle of multivitamins

In a tacklebox I have organized

An array of medical supplies I know how to use, from Ace Bandage to Chapstick

Water purification tablets

About 30 feet of duct tape

Headlamp
    Spare flashlight

Utility knife with 10 extra blades

Small SAK
    Multitool

Extra batteries for everything

Waterproof match case with 30 matches
    cigarette lighter
    Magnesium firestarter

compass

That tackle tray is combined with

A Buck 119 Special
    100 feet of paracord
    2 lawn and leaf bags
    space blanket
    knife sharpener

Inside this pouch my father gave me... it's some super strong waterproof material, bright yellow in color, with a self repairing YKK zipper.

The Main Component is light and portable and will get lighter and less bulky as the supplies are used up. It's a compromise between the likely need of needing an emergency meal or two, the less likely possibility of having to have 3 days worth of eating, and the even less likely possibility of having to survive on the junk in the bag indefinitely.

Everything in here with the possible exception of the humble Buck knife is 100% under the radar. That is done on purpose. I figure if I do get shaken down by someone with overwhelming force, I hope they at least won't take my food and basic tools.

Now this part of the kit of course lives in my truck with the rest of it.

The next module is my Weather/Rescue module. It is housed in a similar pouch as the tools in the Main Component. It includes a full heavy duty rainsuit, etc. as well as a bright orange safety vest, basically all the stuff you'd need to keep dry in whatever weather. It is in its own pouch because it's more for a "Holy crap we've got to go help those people" type emergency. In the event of the balloon going up, I'd leave most of it behind. I might consider taking the waders with me for navigating the river however, and the raincoat I'd probably jerk out for a pack cover if I felt like I needed one. Works pretty good actually.

The next module is my Clothing Module. I have in a vaccum sealed bag to save space inside another of the yellow pouches a sweatshirt, a T shirt, a pair of carpenter's jeans, socks, and boxer shorts. I also have my boots in their own pouch. I look civilian enough in this getup; camoflauge is great and that's what this is. I don't want to look any different from anyone else fleeing the zombie horde.

The idea here is that if I feel like I need it, I strap this pouch on the pack's frame and take it with me. However, most likely if I'm in my work clothes when I bug out, the clothes I wear to work are not rugged nor comfortable or fit for bugging out. The idea is I change into these clothes and the boots.

Finally, I have what I call my Personal Accessories Module. This is a small bag designed to completely replace all the survival accessories I normally carry with me in the event I am caught without them and need to bug out immediately. For instance, I can't carry my pistol at work.

The housing is a County Comm BOB. Inside of it is a Wilderness Tactical belt, a Buck 110, a SwissChamp, a Leatherman Blast, a small radio, a weapon cleaning kit, 200 rounds of ball 9mm ammo and 49 Gold Dots, a CZ 75B with 3 spare 16 round magazines, and a holster.

I plan to add the Kadet Kit to this module and some .22 LR ammunition to go with it. I figure if I'm bugging out, 9mm and .22 LR are two good calibers to be able to shoot.

I also have the Defense Module. In a Katrina type situation where authority is completely gone, I want something for personal protection. This is also my Truck Gun. Right now it's my 1894 in .44 Magnum. I have recently acquired an M1 Carbine which I thing will replace the 1894. I'm in the process of acquiring appropriate web gear to tote it.

This all is of course augmented by the contents of my vehicle, but the idea of this system is that it doesn't need the augmentation per se.

Working on slowly upgrading this stuff.

At any rate the idea is that most of it I would grab or leave behind as the case may be. Captured by the California State Highway Patrol? See if I can take the food and first aid kit. Complete Civil Unrest? Change clothes grab the Main Component and add the Personal Accessories and Defense Modules, etc.

The main part is a civilian looking pack, the Personal accessories are in the County Comm Bail Out Bag, the Defense Module is in its case, and the rest of it is in those bright yellow waterproof pouches.

The idea is if I were naked but had access to this stuff, I could be clothed and protected and fed for a few days, and would have the tools to go longer if I had to.

It really sounds like a lot more than it really is.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Great listing of stuff! Hope you can get back in the house pretty soon.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Senior Moderator
    Euc,

How cool that is! An actual emergency plan and prepardness paying off. I say a BIG CONGRATS is in order here. Great job if you ask me.

Sorry about the inconvenience though, hope it doesn't last long.

Your number one bug-out "shelter" does raise an issue though, what about your gun(s)?

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar
    And a partridge in a pear tree

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

That sounds like a plan that was well thought out,

I'll probably print that one and work on doing the same.

So, what did you find out, Do you know when you will be able to go home?

Stay Safe, and keep doing the good job of being prepaired.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

VIP Member
    Glad to see you're safe and you executed a clean bugout. I hope you're able to return home soon and your apartment is intact.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

JT
    Any update on the situation?
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Okay I've been trying all day to find out what the devil actually happened to zero success. I have met with some other residents including a man with a law enforcement background who all agree with me that the "bomb threat" was a lie to tell us peasants.

"Bomb threats" are likely the equivalent of public school "fire drills"... it's something you use when you want to scare people just enough to get them to shake a leg, but you don't want them to panic. It's something you tell the kids while the grownups take care of business.

As for me I went back at 11:30 PM ahead of schedule. There was only one police car there and no more roadblocks. People were coming out of the apartment offices and getting soaked by the sprinklers. One guy was literally in his underwear. So glad that wasn't me.

Bugout over, no harm done, but some lessons learned the easy way this time.

very interesting!!! hmm was there any sign that they were in your apartment?
    I carry because I care.
    "An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."
    "Cling to the Father and His Holy name, and don't go riding on the Long Black Train" - Josh Turner

I checked fairly thoroughly and no.

Lead Moderator
    glad you are back home and everything is as you left it.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Is this circumstance what is meant by "Serve and Protect"?

Beats me. But I hope someone might learn from my experience that something crazy can happen when you least expect it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links