Navy SEALs - Concealed Weapons Permits

This is a discussion on Navy SEALs - Concealed Weapons Permits within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I wonder how many Navy Seals have concealed weapons permits. I don't even know if the the military will allow them to carry concealed unless ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Navy SEALs - Concealed Weapons Permits

Navy SEALs - Concealed Weapons Permits

I wonder how many Navy Seals have concealed weapons permits. I don't even know if the the military will allow them to carry concealed unless on a mission. I find it hard to believe that these superbly trained warriors don't carry legally or illegally when they are not on duty. If any group of people know the value and usefulness of firearms it's these guys. Wonder if will ever know. Seals' missions are very hush hush and it is years before the public knows anything about them might be the same on packing.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Lots of military are only armed when on duty that calls for it. There are several in the armed forces whose specific jobs are technical or administrative and are never armed unless deployed in an area that requires it.
    For God, Family and Country!

I personally don't believe that these guys don't carry a weapon when off duty and off the base. Like I said before they have an appreciation for the life saving value of a firearm. It would be ironic if these ultimate warriors walked our streets unarmed. They have martial arts skills, knife skills etc but are still subject to being shot by some punk.

Distinguished Member
    To carry in the line of duty, you have to have official orders to do so. If they do, they will carry and are Federal "Officers", not unlike NCIS, CI or US Marshalls.

With that said, it is unlikely that they will receive those orders for use inside the US. Off Duty, they can carry OFF BASE under the same rules as civilians.

Posse comitatus and all that:

The Myth of Posse Comitatus

Posse Comitatus Act of 1878
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

A true warrior is never unarmed.

What I mean by that is, the weapon is the brain. The other stuff, guns, knives, fighting sticks and what not, are just "tools". The true weapon is between the ears.

You need to be able to process information and respond accordingly.

Biker

#1 Unless a spec ops guy screws up royally, we won't ever hear of it.

#2 Permit, no permit...if stopped, they likely have a phone number to call in which case a very official person with lots of authority will tell the county jail, "It's above your pay grade. You don't want to know. Kick him loose..." in which case their will be a lot of "Sorry...we, uh..." and "Hey, it's cool...no hard feelings..." and "We aren't going to get in trouble are we?" and "Nah...it's no biggie..."

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    #1 Unless a spec ops guy screws up royally, we won't ever hear of it.

#2 Permit, no permit...if stopped, they likely have a phone number to call in which case a very official person with lots of authority will tell the county jail, "It's above your pay grade. You don't want to know. Kick him loose..." in which case their will be a lot of "Sorry...we, uh..." and "Hey, it's cool...no hard feelings..." and "We aren't going to get in trouble are we?" and "Nah...it's no biggie..."
    Sorry, I'll disagree. Military plays by the same rules that non-military does, when they're off base. One of the fastest ways I know for someone to become a former spec ops guy is to bring attention or discredit to themselves or the unit out in the civilian community.

FWIW, civilian cops tend not to be terribly impressed by military rank, especially if they think someone is trying throw their weight around.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

No doubt your brain and I should add trained brain is your best weapon but it takes more than smarts to win in a lethal confrontation

Administrator
    The MOS doesnt matter, the rules apply the same.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    If you bet your freedom on that you are in for a BIG disappointment! The only place that happens is on TV, at least where the Military is concerned.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I have known several "operators" in various services over the years. The ones I currently chat with said that different states treat them differently. Some places took their military ID in place of a safety class certificate, others got their application fees waived. Only one has officially carried off post without a state permit and for that he had written orders in his pocket.

Having worked in the D.C. area I have had the pleasure of contacting various agencies about people my officers had stopped. There are a whole lot of folks out there that think their agency credentials will impress officers. What that usually got them was not only sitting on the side of the road for another half hour while I spoke with their duty officer, it also got them a whole lot of trouble with their employer. Most frequent response from military types was wanting to know if there was some way we could handle things without their chain of command knowing about it.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Civilian cops could care less about military rank. Like it's been stated, if you're not on duty, you CANNOT carry. An old saying I learned as a young PFC, 'don't confuse your rank with my authority'.

My wife's cousin is a SEAL stationed out in Coranado.....we never know where he's at. The couple/few times he's been out this way he's always armed off-duty. He didn't have a permit as of 5 years ago but he almost never is unarmed. He's good people too.

I can't speak for the rest of the teams but the times I've worked with the SEALs more than a few of them had sidearms within reach if not on them....on or off duty.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    My wife's cousin is a SEAL stationed out in Coranado.....we never know where he's at. The couple/few times he's been out this way he's always armed off-duty. He didn't have a permit as of 5 years ago but he almost never is unarmed. He's good people too.
    Doesn't mean that his actions are legal. However, in GA, active duty military members ARE legal to carry in any manner and location as a LEO.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT
    I have to throw up the brown and stinky flag on this one too. And, if a military member is in the pokey and it goes beyond the amount of leave time they have available to use, all those extra days in the pokey above and beyond leave balance are counted as AWOL (UA in the Navy).

So, to answer the OP question, off duty, off base SEALS are no different than average Joe, except they are better trained to handle firearms and if the choose to carry for self defense, they have to abide by all the rules as any other military member, which, generally, are exactly the same as John Q. Public.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Doesn't mean that his actions are legal. However, in GA, active duty military members ARE legal to carry in any manner and location as a LEO.

I have to throw up the brown and stinky flag on this one too. And, if a military member is in the pokey and it goes beyond the amount of leave time they have available to use, all those extra days in the pokey above and beyond leave balance are counted as AWOL (UA in the Navy).

So, to answer the OP question, off duty, off base SEALS are no different than average Joe, except they are better trained to handle firearms and if the choose to carry for self defense, they have to abide by all the rules as any other military member, which, generally, are exactly the same as John Q. Public.
    Except for the fact that in H2H they can probably take your firearm away from you and store for you in a place that's close, but hard for you to get to...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links