Duty guns?

This is a discussion on Duty guns? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; OK, I'm on a quest to find a new duty gun..... Dept issues glocks... and don't blast me.... but I just don't like glocks. It's ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Duty guns?

Duty guns?

OK, I'm on a quest to find a new duty gun..... Dept issues glocks... and don't blast me.... but I just don't like glocks. It's a mind over matter thing and my mind does not like that matter and because that's the case I know I wont enjoy shooting it as much on a regular basis at the range which means I wouldn't feel as comfortable with it as I should.

Anyways, my current duty gun is Springfield XD... it's a great gun BUT the mags suck. I'm taking some additional firearms training right now which results with multiple mag drops which result in the damage to mags (my gun is the third one that I've personally witnessed in the past 6 months to have this problem).

So.... I started looking at the M&P (I should add that I don't believe in less then 45ACP) but it seems their mags are made of the same thin material which will probably result in the same issue (mags get deformed after multiple drops during mag changes).

So.. what else is out there? I am picky... I don't like the idea of a deckocker, I want more then a single stack and... it needs to be non glock .45. (oh yeah.. can't use SAO firearms)

Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Seems to me you need to introduce some rational thought (I don't mean to be rude, just the way I see it). Glocks are fine weapons and .357SIG, .40S&W, 9mm, etc. are fine rounds. I suggest a G21, 17, 31, or 22.

Administrator
    Man... in 45ACP, a double stack... you're really limiting yourself. I've been pleased with my 220, but its a single stack with a decocker. You could always go with the DAK set up though.

What is it that you dont like about the Glocks?
    "Just blame Sixto"

There are other double stack .45s out there (HK, Taurus), but their magazines are going to be pretty much the same as the XD. The only manufacturer with a really different magazine is . . . Glock (metal lined plastic rather than metal). Have you tried the G21SF? It's got a smaller grip than the regular G21.

Exactly what sort of problem are you having with the XD mags?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    There are other double stack .45s out there (HK, Taurus), but their magazines are going to be pretty much the same as the XD. The only manufacturer with a really different magazine is . . . Glock (metal lined plastic rather than metal). Have you tried the G21SF? It's got a smaller grip than the regular G21.
    It's not an issue of grip... I just.... (again not really much of a solid reason) but I can't convince myself to use a glock...
    Exactly what sort of problem are you having with the XD mags?
    Multiple drops cause the mag casing to deform. First indicatino is collapsing mag lips, which cause misfeeds and then (at the same time or just before) there are issues with dropping the mags as the mags start to bulge out.

I haven't had any problems with my M&P45 having mag issues after the mags have hit the ground multiple times. They drop free empty or loaded and I've never had any sort of malfunction. Plus, its a very soft shooting gun. Give the M&P a try.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

VIP Member
    Have you looked at the Ruger P-series? I believe you can find them without the decocker, but I'm not positive.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Administrator
    The only guns giving your criteria that I'd consider are the HK and the M&P. I've been racking my brain trying to come up with another, and I cant.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Sig P250
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I carry a Sig 229 DAK in .357 sig. Round hits hard has a nice load capacity, shoots great.

I've had two XD45 mags deform when dropped with a few rounds in them. These stopped it: PISTOLGEAR | YOUR ONE-STOP SHOP FOR ALL SPRINGFIELD XD

I have them on the mags I train with.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post
    Have you looked at the Ruger P-series? I believe you can find them without the decocker, but I'm not positive.
    even if they did come w/ the decocker their .45s aren't double stack and he said he didn't want anything less than .45 so that leaves the 9mms out.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I don't see what is so different about the Glock, compared to the other polymer wonders out there.

I also don't see much real difference between .45 ACP and .40 S&W; the latter cartridge is available in far more double-stack pistols.

I don't feel any better-armed today, with a 12-shot P229, than a 7-shot 1911. Heck, I could be comfortable enough toting a .357 sixgun again, though I might tote TWO backup snubbies, instead of just one.

Another thought: Perhaps you training program needs to inject a bit of "reloading with retention" into the curriculum. Less mag damage in training, and you are not training yourself to lose mags in the darkness, or into flood waters.

Just some rambling thoughts from a guy who can only dream about getting his short fingers around any double-stack .45 pistol.

I like my M&P 45 good shooter,quick followups,replaceable backstrap to fit small medium large hands,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    The only guns giving your criteria that I'd consider are the HK and the M&P. I've been racking my brain trying to come up with another, and I cant.
    I think that is about it, or at least that is it for what I would consider for a duty weapon meeting his criteria.

Lets face it, duty weapons go through a lot more abuse than even the average EDC piece for concealed carrier.

Matiki and Rexster have some good suggestions though.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links