Secret Service Story

This is a discussion on Secret Service Story within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; CAT personnel are selected from the agents, not UD. As Gonzo pointed out there are "tactical" units within UD but they aren't part of the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Secret Service Story

CAT personnel are selected from the agents, not UD. As Gonzo pointed out there are "tactical" units within UD but they aren't part of the CAT and don't serve the same mobile function.

The State Department has a similar capability with certain full time tactical teams which provide both domestic and international protective detail support as well as other serving other roles OCONUS.
    Train Hard, Stay Safe!
    Todd Louis Green
    pistol-training.com

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    C'mon guys! Nobody is going to give me any love on my "CAT is a different animal" line?!? That is comedy gold!! Geeze, I guess my wife is right. I'm not nearly as funny as I think I am.
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

VIP Member
    Yeah, I know a tiny bit about State...lol
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    The State Department has a similar capability with certain full time tactical teams which provide both domestic and international protective detail support as well as other serving other roles OCONUS.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Yeah, I know a tiny bit about State...lol
    Macho Studly Dudes?
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo View Post
    C'mon guys! Nobody is going to give me any love on my "CAT is a different animal" line?!? That is comedy gold!! Geeze, I guess my wife is right. I'm not nearly as funny as I think I am.
    Somebody needs a grandma!

Here you are:

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo View Post
    Macho Studly Dudes?
    They sometimes seem to think so...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

They sometimes seem to think so...

Swatified, tacticool, and born to rule.
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

VIP Member
    Lol, yeah. Actually, with very few exceptions, they are a great bunch of agents in my experience (and I work with them quite a bit over here). They do get GREAT training, and see a lot of the most dangerous places in the world. When they finally make me go back to the States, I will almost certainly end up with them, so...

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Mmmmm...sounds kind of fishy, those guys are in constant communication...CONSTANT. I have a friend whose son was/still is, I think, a SSA assigned to the WH, and they know when the head honcho moves, and where he is moving to......there are no surprises while out on the lawn for a walk.
    My thoughts precisely. The guard would not be oblivious that the principal is approaching.

Lol, yeah. Actually, with very few exceptions, they are a great bunch of agents in my experience (and I work with them quite a bit over here). They do get GREAT training, and see a lot of the most dangerous places in the world.
    I've done two classes for them, and one of their guys was my shooting partner for years before jumping to another agency. While they may not all be able to ruck 50 miles a day or jump out of airplanes, they definitely have one of the best training regimens I've ever seen for a tac team. From a domestic LE standpoint, I'd put them up against anyone but HRT without blinking an eye.
    Train Hard, Stay Safe!
    Todd Louis Green
    pistol-training.com

VIP Member
    Well, Todd, you may see me in Green Team at some point! Glad to hear that they're not giving us a bad name in your classes... :)

OPFOR: Every time you dry fire during Green Team, that's my old shooting partner's fault. He totally revamped their weapons training package while he was there.

Give me a shout when you get started and we'll grab an appropriate beverage.
    Train Hard, Stay Safe!
    Todd Louis Green
    pistol-training.com

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I was 14 when Carter left office in 1981. I seem to remember hearing a news story about when the uniformed SS was formed, and I doubt I would recall that before such a tender age. Of course I'm sure they were still there, just called something else. Or maybe I dreamt it all.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Ouch that would hurt quite a bit. I wonder if the guy was fired after this?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    I was 14 when Carter left office in 1981. I seem to remember hearing a news story about when the uniformed SS was formed, and I doubt I would recall that before such a tender age. Of course I'm sure they were still there, just called something else. Or maybe I dreamt it all.

UNIFORMED DIVISION

Established in 1922 as the White House Police Force, this organization was fully integrated into the Secret Service in 1930. With more than 1,300 officers today, the Uniformed Division is responsible for security at the White House Complex; the vice president's residence; the Department of the Treasury (as part of the White House Complex); and foreign diplomatic missions in the Washington, D.C., area. Uniformed Division officers carry out their protective responsibilities through a network of fixed security posts, foot, bicycle, vehicular and motorcycle patrols.

Officers are responsible for providing additional support to the Secret Service's protective mission through the following special support programs:

* The Countersniper Support Unit (CS): Created in 1971, the CS unit's purpose is to provide specialized protective support to defend against long-range threats to Secret Service protectees. Today CS is an operational element of the Presidential Protective Division.
    * The Canine Explosives Detection Unit (K-9): Created in 1976, the mission of the K-9 unit is to provide skilled and specialized explosives detection support to protective efforts involving Secret Service protectees.
    * The Emergency Response Team (ERT): Formed in 1992, ERT's primary mission is to provide tactical response to unlawful intrusions and other protective challenges related to the White House and its grounds. ERT personnel receive specialized, advanced training and must maintain a high level of physical and operational proficiency.
    * Magnetometers: The Secret Service began relying on magnetometer (metal detector) support by Uniformed Division officers to augment its protective efforts away from the White House following the attempted assassination of President Ronald Reagan. The Magnetometer Support Unit's mission is to ensure that all persons entering secure areas occupied by Secret Service protectees are unarmed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links