Secret Service Story

This is a discussion on Secret Service Story within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just recalled a story about a newly assigned uniformed Secret Service Agent assigned to the White House grounds while Jimmy Carter was president. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Secret Service Story

Secret Service Story

I just recalled a story about a newly assigned uniformed Secret Service Agent assigned to the White House grounds while Jimmy Carter was president. I read this in book a few years ago that was written by the ranking SS officer at the time.

The was the first day this new uniformed secret service agent was assigned to patrol the Rose Garden at the White House. He was understandably somewhat nervous as this was his first shift.

Halfway through his shift he heard what he thought was some suspicious activity in the area. As he was on patrol he suddenly heard some suspicious noise behind him. The young secret service agent turned around and drew his handgun from his holster and brought it to bear on the source of the suspicious noise. Much to his shock the suspicious noise was President & Rosalyn Carter out for a walk in the Rose Garden! He was pointing his firearm at the President and Mrs. Carter!

Of course the Carters stopped in their tracks at being held at gunpoint by this secret service agent. A senior secret service agent who was following the Carters at a discreet distance made a VERY sudden move forward to strongly suggest that the newly assigned secret service agent lower his weapon and re-holster it. He did so and the senior secret service agent requested that the new secret service agent meet him in an hour in the office of the secret service in the White House.

It goes to show you that even the elite of the elite in law enforcement can have a bad day once in a while.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

2. Remove Ads

I would say that was quite a bad day. Must had been one long hour.

He should have looked before he pointed it at them. Some other secret agent may get the wrong impression and the situation could have gotten ugly but the Senior agent did the right thing by issuing order to lower the weapon.

VIP Member
    Uniformed Division members of the USSS are not the same as "agents." They are basically uniformed cops, with a very limited jurisdiction. Not to say that they aren't good (and that the actual "agents" are somehow infallible - I can attest to many goofs made by them myself), but I would hardly call them the "elite of the elite." Especially 30 years ago...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Still, to be selected to be the uniformed SS is more than your typical LE position is quite a responsibility under the circumstances. You're guarding the grounds of the White House. I stand corrected.
    Glock 26

Mmmmm...sounds kind of fishy, those guys are in constant communication...CONSTANT. I have a friend whose son was/still is, I think, a SSA assigned to the WH, and they know when the head honcho moves, and where he is moving to......there are no surprises while out on the lawn for a walk.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

That one aspect of the story did make me wonder all the same. You would think that the SSA's would communicate that "The Peanut's" (no offense intended) are going for a walk in the Rose Garden would have been announced to all the concerned SSA over the appropriate communication channels. But, can we believe everything we read? Nah!
    Glock 26

No description of the "suspicious noise"? Racking of a slide or a bird chirping?
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Nope!
    Glock 26

Fun story but from experience, there is no way that could happen.

"Uniformed secret service?" coat and earbud?
    Yoda, I am, yes.

VIP Member
    The USSS has a relatively large Uniformed Division. They wear uniforms that look just like what you think a police uniform would look like. The sniper and counter-assault elements of the Presidential (and other, when used) details are also part of the UD, though they (obviously) go through a lot of additional screening and training.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    "Uniformed secret service?" coat and earbud?

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    The USSS has a relatively large Uniformed Division. They wear uniforms that look just like what you think a police uniform would look like. The sniper and counter-assault elements of the Presidential (and other, when used) details are also part of the UD, though they (obviously) go through a lot of additional screening and training.
    Partially right. The Counter-Sniper unit is a part of UD. CAT is a different animal (if you will pardon the pun ). UD does maintain their own tactical unit however...the Emergency Reponse Team. These are the guys you see responding to "fence jumpers" at the White House, totin' P-90's and usually accompanied by K9 handlers (also UD). Jumping the fence at the White House is a bad idea.

UD also has some other special units and assignments that are pretty interesting and provide some variation from static security posts.
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

VIP Member
    OK, roger that, Gonzo. When they were here a week or so ago (and every other time I've worked with them), they have said that the CAT was part of UD. Not that they don't have other assets supporting them, especially overseas, but that was what I was told. Perhaps we are talking about slightly different elements, or perhaps I have been given bad info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links