Milwaukee trades old shotguns for new S&W rifles, even money!

This is a discussion on Milwaukee trades old shotguns for new S&W rifles, even money! within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Sorry no link... Got this off another board. Wish I could get this kind of a deal! Shotguns traded in for tactical weapons By Linda ...

Thread: Milwaukee trades old shotguns for new S&W rifles, even money!

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Milwaukee trades old shotguns for new S&W rifles, even money!

Sorry no link... Got this off another board. Wish I could get this kind of a deal!

Shotguns traded in for tactical weapons
    By Linda Spice of the Journal Sentinel

Posted: Apr. 23, 2009

Milwaukee police are trading shotguns for rifles in an effort to even the odds against criminals who Chief Edward Flynn said are increasingly likely to be toting their own assault-style weapons.

Flynn and Mayor Tom Barrett cited mass shootings in the United States, including recent killings of police officers in Oakland, Calif., and Pittsburgh, in explaining why Milwaukee officers are adopting the new .223-caliber, semiautomatic Smith & Wesson rifles.

"We cannot have a situation in this city where our police officers are being outgunned by the bad guys," Barrett said at a news conference Thursday.

Police displayed tables piled with some of the firearms confiscated so far this year, a total that includes 359 pistols, 142 revolvers, 111 rifles and 83 shotguns, six of which were sawed off.

"You know what's going on around the country," Flynn said. "I can't pretend it's not going to happen here."

Officers will undergo 32 hours of training with the rifles and must be certified at the department's training academy before being able to use them.

Sgt. Joseph Seitz, a range master at the academy, said the 52 guns won't cost anything because Smith & Wesson is accepting the department's shotguns in trade.

The rifles will allow officers tactically to "engage their target with greater distance, with more accuracy, with greater ammunition, and also give them the ability to penetrate armor," Seitz said. The rifles have a 25-shot capacity.

Other large police departments using such rifles or planning to include Oakland; Phoenix; Las Vegas; Columbus, Ohio; Chicago; El Paso, Texas; Miami; Cincinnati; San Jose, Calif.; Minneapolis; and Denver, according to Flynn
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

I wish I could trade one of my shottys for a S&W AR style rifle!

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

32 hours of training to learn to fire an AR15,In 8 hours they should be taught everything they need to know about the weapon IMHO,maybe I'm missing something here or unless they drag out their training they miss out on their coffee and doughnut quota
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    32 hours of training to learn to fire an AR15,In 8 hours they should be taught everything they need to know about the weapon IMHO,maybe I'm missing something here or unless they drag out their training they miss out on their coffee and doughnut quota
    I am sure there is a lot of when to deploy, what it can/can't do, etc. versus the shotgun...plus policy and SOP stuff.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Would you rather have LEO's with LESS training out on the streets or more training?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Would you rather have LEO's with LESS training out on the streets or more training?
    Your right some LEO's I've seen are pretty scary even with a handgun,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Some Mis-information

The newspaper and the Television are holding back information(as usual), The department has to pay trade difference and I am sure they are under contract with S&W.
    Dave
    I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy.

Having just gone through the MPD rifle course I can tell you it is very thorough. It is 4 days and we fire approximately 1000 rounds. Topics covered: disassembling the rifle, stress fire drills, proper sling technique, prone, supported knee, supported barricade, and off-hand shooting positions. Zeroing the rifle at 100, 50, and 25 yards, proper tactical use of the EOtech holographic sight and safariland light. Transition drills from the rifle to pistol. Malfunction clearances of the rifle. Retention of the rifle. Does anyone think all of this could be covered in less than 32hrs? By the way for the joker talking about donunts, We had a 30min lunch break everyday, that was it, very intense and informative course, taught in tandem by one of our range instructors who was the 2005 and 2006 IPSC three-gun champions and one of our instructors from our Tactical Enforcement Unit.
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chiboxer View Post
    Having just gone through the MPD rifle course I can tell you it is very thorough. It is 4 days and we fire approximately 1000 rounds. Topics covered: disassembling the rifle, stress fire drills, proper sling technique, prone, supported knee, supported barricade, and off-hand shooting positions. Zeroing the rifle at 100, 50, and 25 yards, proper tactical use of the EOtech holographic sight and safariland light. Transition drills from the rifle to pistol. Malfunction clearances of the rifle. Retention of the rifle. Does anyone think all of this could be covered in less than 32hrs? By the way for the joker talking about donunts, We had a 30min lunch break everyday, that was it, very intense and informative course, taught in tandem by one of our range instructors who was the 2005 and 2006 IPSC three-gun champions and one of our instructors from our Tactical Enforcement Unit.

If their going to be contending with equal firepower out there, give them all the freakin training they need or want pure and simple in my book.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Links