Man pulled over for bumper sticker

This is a discussion on Man pulled over for bumper sticker within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Bumper sticker in question is the same one used by a few on this site as their avatar. It has the yellow background with the ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Man pulled over for bumper sticker

Bumper sticker in question is the same one used by a few on this site as their avatar. It has the yellow background with the coiled rattlesnake and was made famous by the original colonies (flag).

Suspect detained over 'extremist' bumper sticker

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    WHAT???

Holy hell what are we becoming?

Administrator

The Gadsden flag is a historical American flag with a yellow field depicting a rattlesnake coiled and ready to strike.
    Positioned below the snake is the legend "DONT TREAD ON ME"

The flag was designed by and is named after American general and statesman Christopher Gadsden.
    It was also used by The United States Marine Corps as an early motto flag.

The use of the eastern diamondback rattlesnake as a symbol of the American colonies can be traced back to the publications of Benjamin Franklin.

In 1751, he made the first reference to the rattlesnake in a satirical commentary published in his Pennsylvania Gazette.

It had been the policy of Britain to send convicted criminals to America, and Franklin suggested that they thank the British by sending rattlesnakes to England. In 1754, during the French and Indian War, Franklin published his famous woodcut of a snake cut into eight sections.
    It represented the colonies, with New England joined together as the head and South Carolina as the tail, following their order along the coast. Under the snake was the message "Join, or Die."
    This was the first political cartoon published in an American newspaper.

As the American Revolution grew closer, the snake began to see more use as a symbol of the colonies.
    In 1774, Paul Revere added it to the title of his paper, The Massachusetts Spy, as a snake joined to fight a British dragon.
    In December 1775, Benjamin Franklin published an essay in which he suggested that the rattlesnake was a good symbol for the American spirit.

Wow, wonder when my "Come and Take it"..with an AR will get me pulled over.....along with my Don't Tread on Me....along with my RKBA license plates, "Gun Control is Racist", "Don't Steal: The government hates competition" bumper stickers.....

Of course the officer who did pull me over didn't ask if I had any weapons until he saw the NRA sticker.
    Criminals For Gun Control
    Brady's Campaign Pro-Gun Forum

Member: NRA, PG-NH, GO-NH
    Life Member: JPFO, GOA
    Clubs: LF&GC

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Pulled over and detained for a bumper sticker? First Amendment infringement.
    If ya don't know your rights, ya don't have any.

Tyrants don't like freedom of speech, and they sure don't like trying to bully armed people.

It's rapidly coming down to it.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Thanks for the informative history on the flag qkshooter. That was interesting.

Do we have any confirmation that this stop actually happened? WND is not exactly the NYT

NRA Life member

GOA member

Quote Originally Posted by skeet732 View Post
    Do we have any confirmation that this stop actually happened? WND is not exactly the NYT
    Thank GOD they aren't the NYT!
    I get your point though, and I did follow the links back, and it seems legit. Waiting for FOX or someone to check it out next.

I posted it to my blog with the disclaimer of unknown voracity for now anyway.

Ex Yankee Patriot

AND, I went and ordered my bumper stickers and flag...
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Quote Originally Posted by Arko View Post
    Thank GOD they aren't the NYT!
    I get your point though, and I did follow the links back, and it seems legit. Waiting for FOX or someone to check it out next.

I posted it to my blog with the disclaimer of unknown voracity for now anyway.

Ex Yankee Patriot

AND, I went and ordered my bumper stickers and flag...
    Does anyone suspect, just a little, that THIS is really what the story is about??? Unsubstantiated, inflammatory, burns-my-toast story about police power overstepping--"and by the way! Make sure and buy your Gadsden Gear today!"

I smell a marketing effort...

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    The Gadsden flag is a historical American flag with a yellow field depicting a rattlesnake coiled and ready to strike.
    Christopher Gadsden

Christopher Gadsden (1724-1805) was an American general and statesman during the American Revolution. He became the principal leader of the South Carolina radicals in the pre-Revolutionary period. Christopher Gadsden was a delegate for South Carolina in the Continental Congress and a Brigadier General of the state's forces during the Revolutionary War.

Christopher Gadsden's Early Life

Gadsden was born on February 16, 1723/4 at Charleston, South Carolina. He was the son of Thomas Gadsden, who had served in the British Navy before becoming custom's collector for the port of Charleston. Gadsden was sent to school near Bristol, in England, and returned to America in 1741 to go to work in a counting house in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He entered into mercantile ventures on his own account as well, and by 1747 Christopher Gadsden had earned enough to return to South Carolina and buy back the land his father had lost by gambling in 1733.

Gadsden began his rise to prominence as a merchant and patriot in Charleston. He prospered as a merchant, and built the wharf in Charleston that still bears his name. He served as Captain of a militia company during a 1759 expedition against the Cherokee Indians. He was first elected to the colonial assembly in 1760, and began a long friction with autocratic Royal Governors.

In 1765 the assembly made Christopher Gadsden one of their delegates to the Stamp Act Congress called to protest the Stamp Act. While his fellow delegates Thomas Lynch and John Rutledge served on committees to draft appeals to the House of Lords and Commons respectively, Gadsden refused any such assignment, since in his view Parliament had no rights in the matter. He addressed himself with outspoken support for the Declaration of Rights produced by the Congress. His addresses brought him to the attention of Samuel Adams of Massachusetts and the two began a long correspondence and friendship.

Revolutionary Years

On Christopher Gadsden return from New York City, he became one of the founders and leaders of the Charleston Sons of Liberty. Gadsden had risen to the rank of Lt. Colonel in the militia, and when the formal break came with the old government in 1775, he was made Colonel of the 1st South Carolina regiment of militia. In 1774 his fellow Assembly members elected him to be a delegate to the Continental Congress. In 1775 Gadsden's status was renewed, this time by an election held throughout the state. He left the Congress early in 1776 as active war became imminent in South Carolina.

In February of 1776, South Carolina President John Rutledge named Gadsden a Brigadier General in charge of the state's military. That same year he had his first difficulty with the Continental Army command structure. As the British prepared to attack Charleston, General Charles Lee ordered outlying positions abandoned. Rutledge and the local officers disagreed. This time a compromise was reached and as William Moultrie prepared the defenses on Sullivan's Island, Gadsden paid for, and his regiment built a bridge that would allow their escape if the position were threatened. The British attack was repulsed.

The Continental Army

Lieutenant Governor

In 1778, Gadsden was a member of the South Carolina convention that drafted a new state constitution. That same year he has named the Lieutenant Governor, to replace Henry Laurens who was away at the Continental Congress. He would serve in that office until 1780. Actually, for the first year and a half his office was called Vice President of South Carolina, but when the new constitution was adopted, the title was changed to the modern usage.

When the British laid siege to Charleston in 1780, John Randolph, as president of the council fled to North Carolina to ensure a government in exile. should the city fall. Gadsden remained, along with Governor Rawlins Lowndes. General Lincoln surrendered the Continental Army garrison on May 12 to General Sir Henry Clinton. At the same time, Gadsden represented the civil government and surrendered the city. He was sent to his Charleston house, on parole.

Prisoner of war

After Clinton returned to New York the new British commander in the south, General Cornwallis changed the rules. On the morning of August 27, he arrested about 20 of the civil officers then on parole. They were marched as prisoners to a ship and taken to St. Augustine, Florida. When they arrived Governor Tonyn offered the freedom of the town if they would give their parole. Most accepted, but Gadsden refused claiming that the British had already violated one parole, and he couldn't give his word to a false system. As a result, Gadsden spent the next 42 weeks in solitary confinement in a dungeon at the old Spanish fortress of Castillo de San Marcos. When they were finally released in 1781, they were sent by merchant ship to Philadelphia. Once there, Gadsden learned of the defeat of Cornwallis at Cowpens and withdrawal to Yorktown. He hurried home, to help the restoration of South Carolina's civil government.

Later life

Gadsden was returned to the state's House of Representatives, then meeting at Jacksonboro. At this session, Governor Randolph and de-facto President Rutledge both surrendered their offices. Gadsden was elected as the Governor, but felt he had to decline. His health was still impaired from his imprisonment, and an active governor was needed since the British hadn't yet given up Charleston. So in 1782, John Mathews became the new governor.

Gadsden was also a member of the state Convention in 1788 and voted for ratification of the United States Constitution. He died from an accidental fall on September 15, 1805 in Charleston, and is buried in St. Phillip's Churchyard there.

Gadsden's private life has had very little attention from biographers. He had at least two children; a daughter Elizabeth who married Andrew Rutledge; and a son Christopher Jr. The Gadsden purchase of Arizona was named for his grandson James Gadsden.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by XDFender View Post
    Does anyone suspect, just a little, that THIS is really what the story is about??? Unsubstantiated, inflammatory, burns-my-toast story about police power overstepping--"and by the way! Make sure and buy your Gadsden Gear today!"

I smell a marketing effort...
    No, I don't. The original linked article excludes the marketing. I think the sales links are editorial hyperbole/marketing truly secondary to the story. Just my opinion.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

So it begins Remember the "Bumper Sticker" Bring it on and "Lets Roll"
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    I to would like confirmation from another source. But on it's face I could see it being true.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    While I am quite skeptical of the story, the fact is stuff happens.

This is one of those things where some verification, maybe even investigation, is needed.

We go through spasms in this country where one thing or another is seen as
    unacceptable speech by at least some significant segment of the population.

How many have been stopped or otherwise harassed in the past because of long hair or tattoos, or clothing style, or nothing more than something that looked like a gang symbol, or even a religious symbol.

These things happen, unfortunately, too frequently.

That said, I don't really believe the story. Or, there is more to what was behind the stop.

VIP Member
    While I am quite skeptical of the story, the fact is stuff happens.

This is one of those things where some verification, maybe even investigation, is needed.

We go through spasms in this country where one thing or another is seen as
    unacceptable speech by at least some significant segment of the population.

How many have been stopped or otherwise harassed in the past because of long hair or tattoos, or clothing style, or nothing more than something that looked like a gang symbol, or even a religious symbol.

These things happen, unfortunately, too frequently.

That said, I don't really believe the story. Or, there is more to what was behind the stop.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links