Changing careers..

This is a discussion on Changing careers.. within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Guys I know there are a lot of Leos on here. Maybe someone can give me some advice. I am tired of my current career ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing careers..

Changing careers..

Guys I know there are a lot of Leos on here. Maybe
    someone can give me some advice.

I am tired of my current career as a welder. It's dangerous,
    I have to breathe harmful fumes etc..

Today, I was browsing the net and found that 5 different
    counties in Florida, were to began hiring for the police force
    in early spring.

At 35 am I too old to even apply to something like this?
    I've got a clean record and had a gpa of 3.8 in college.
    I'm pretty sure I could pass the physical test

Any Leos got some advice for me?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    GO for it.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    GO for it.

+1 I turn 37 next month, but I am currently trying to become a Deputy Sheriff. I started working in the detention center about 6 months ago just to get on with the department. Hopefully I can get in on the next class, but if not, I will keep trying. It never hurts to try and if it doesn't work out, you can always find a job welding.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I don't know about Florida, but here in Texas that I'm aware of, they usually wave you up to 38 in allot of places. So I say go for it also.

It's never to late.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Miami Dade County has NO upper limit on the age for a new LEO. When I was a State Parole Officer in the 1980s I went in at the age of 30 after I left active duty and had already held some small stuff jobs. Check not only Miami Dade but Coral Gables and a number of the other cities in Miami Dade. Yes they're dangerous, but the pay in Dade & Broward is going to be much better than in other areas of the state. Most of these cities let you take the car home, too. That used to be the big draw for FHP, but that pay is the lowest in the state.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Administrator
    I say go for it too, but at 35, you need to do it right now. Good news is Florida hires like crazy, and a lot of their recruitment efforts are to "outsiders" Also, Florida is still a 20 (maybe 25) year and out state, you still could retire young. Brush up on your Spanish, you will need it.
    Truth is, I've strongly considered moving to Florida myself, but the pay is lower and its expensive to live in a nice area for the kids.
    I'm going next month though to look at investment property for when I do retire.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Thanks to all for the replies.

Everyday is something new....i work in probation and with LEO all the time. My two cousins are all LEO. I have a very bad knee that wouldnt hold up for the academy after the physical, but would definitely go for it.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Just Do It! When I was in the academy, there were some 50ish gentlemen. They out performed many of the 20ish kids. Make sure your are physically fit...so start your training NOW!!!!...don't look back.

Good luck and enjoy.
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
    Military & Police Firearms Instructor
    Professional Student of Learning......

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Fellow welder I can understand ya, heck welding jobs are getting really spotty in my neck of the woods. The LEO jobs are booming a bit as well as security here in Florida. So I would say go for it. Heck my father joined I think in his late 30s late 40s. He just recently retired from LE.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

My neighbor is sixty and is a Leo. He was in reality and decided to change careers
    He couldn't be happier. Go for it.

Go for it. I am also debating becoming an leo or us border patrol.
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

Wink Actually....

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Brush up on your Spanish, you will need it.
    Truth is, I've strongly considered moving to Florida myself, but the pay is lower and its expensive to live in a nice area for the kids. I'm going next month though to look at investment property for when I do retire.
    Goes for retirees, too. Gimme a shout before you come. PLEASE do yourself a favor and don't look anywhere south of Lake Okochobee! The panhandle is very conservative and has a huge military retiree population. If you like cities, Sarasota is close to Tampa and that has MacDill AFB and a good VA Hospital. Also a huge Special Operations retiree group. MacDill is home to both SOCOM and CENTCOM. Tampa is pretty liberal but not as liberal as MY area. So gimme a shout.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I say go for it too, but at 35, you need to do it right now. Good news is Florida hires like crazy, and a lot of their recruitment efforts are to "outsiders" Also, Florida is still a 20 (maybe 25) year and out state, you still could retire young. Brush up on your Spanish, you will need it.
    Truth is, I've strongly considered moving to Florida myself, but the pay is lower and its expensive to live in a nice area for the kids.
    I'm going next month though to look at investment property for when I do retire.
    Does 'BANG' sound different in Spanish?

To the OP...
    The Florida Highway Patrol is very much interested in hiring...a friend's son got in last year and loves it.
    Give them a call...NOW!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    I lived in Bradenton and am very familer with MacDill AFB. It was one of my favorite posts; I'm just not sure sure I want to raise my kids there.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links