For Active Duty and Retired Military

This is a discussion on For Active Duty and Retired Military within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I don't know how many of you are taking advantage of Space-A travel, so I thought I would post a great forum discussing it. Visit ...

Thread: For Active Duty and Retired Military

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

I don't know how many of you are taking advantage of Space-A travel, so I thought I would post a great forum discussing it.

Visit Dirk Pepperd's forum: www.pepperd.com for all things space-A related, flight info, military lodging overseas, etc.

For example, how many know about the new $60M military R&R hotel near Garmisch called Edelweiss? Edelweiss Lodge and Resort

Or that there is a similar one in Korea called Dragon Hill Lodge?
    Dragon Hill Lodge

Just thought I would pass along a tip on a great benefit that many are probably missing out on. I know that I didn't take a single Space-A trip until last year, 8 years after I retired from the Navy.

The wife and I are headed to Europe for 3 weeks this fall to visit Normandy, Bastogne, Auschwitz, and other WWII significant sites, and plan to use Space-A flights and military lodging as much as possible to save money.

It can be a way to travel the world pretty cheaply if you have a flexible timetable. But remember, flying Space-A is a privilege, and flights are often cancelled, delayed, rerouted, take no pax due to hazardous cargo, etc with little or no notice.

Mike

{EDIT} For those of you that have done this, I could use some tips on places to stay near the Normandy beaches, and near Krakow (Auschwitz). Also tips on car rental in Europe vs. using the trains would be helpful also.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Thanks for the info. My last space A flight was to Heidelberg in '94(out of Dover AFB and back), while I was stationed at Ft Devens, MA. It may be a couple of years before I have the flexibility from my current job to travel, but will definitely do it again; this time as a retiree.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Never flown Space A but here's another good link:
    Armed Forces Vacation Club

G19, G23, P2000 (9mm), LMT Defender 2000 (SOPMOD), Colt LE6920, Ruger 10/22

Tried space-a a couple of times as an e-4 way back when......I always got bumped.

A shipmateof mine got on a space-a flight to Australia, ended up in Japan and came back with a wife. I just avoided it after that.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Lead Moderator
    Only tried space-A once, from Okinawa to Japan and back. Got lucky on the return trip, got the last flight back to Okinawa before a typhoon hit and grounded everything for a few days. When I really retire I may have to try it again.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    AFVC is another really good program to take advantage of.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

I've been around the world "space A".....but it was back when I was single and had the time to spare.

Lots of fun and a great way to go, especially if you just want to ramble a little and don't really care where you end up!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    Once went with two buddies to Europe space A. It was great. Three weeks. No money or leave left as were about to board a return flight in Germany. That day the 1973 Israeli-Arab War started. Every air asset in the system was diverted and space A was no longer an option. Fortunately, we had one credit card with barely enough juice to buy three one way tickets back to our units. Otherwise, we would have all been UA. Learned a good lesson.

Links