I'd like to beat her with a bat too!

This is a discussion on I'd like to beat her with a bat too! within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is disgraceful. Delaying care for officers injured in the line of duty is as inexcusable as doing the same for our veterans. Where is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'd like to beat her with a bat too!

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar

I'd like to beat her with a bat too!

This is disgraceful. Delaying care for officers injured in the line of duty is as inexcusable as doing the same for our veterans. Where is the outrage at the treatment of these officers? He didn't make a threat, he made a frustrated off-hand comment that she construed as a threat that to me looks like it was done to deflect attention from the real issue.

EDIT: Maybe not beat her with a bat, but boy I was ticked when I first read this article.

Cop apologizes after saying he wanted to beat mayor with bat - CNN.com

By Ashley Fantz
    CNN

ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) -- It probably would have been just another ho-hum city council budget meeting.

Except that the leader of Atlanta's police union, and second-highest ranking member of the International Brotherhood of Police Officers, said he wanted to beat Atlanta's mayor with a bat.

"I want to beat her [Mayor Shirley Franklin] in the head with a baseball bat sometimes when I think about it," Sgt. Scott Kreher said into a microphone earlier this month in an apparent off-hand remark during a presentation he was giving to the council. Within days, the 17-year department veteran was suspended.

Kreher said the "it" that made him want to club the mayor was that, despite repeated complaints, the police union contends the city is not honoring workers' compensation claims for cops whose careers ended when they were seriously injured on the job.

Franklin, one of the nation's high-profile mayors, told CNN on Tuesday that the officers' complaints are a "separate issue" from Kreher's comments.

"Some people think I'll just shake it off," she said of the sergeant's threat. "I can't shake off an officer at City Hall -- not in his shower or in his front yard, but in official capacity -- threatening to hit me in the head with a bat. That is a severe act of violence. When you hit someone with a bat, you intend to kill them."

The police officers union called a news conference Thursday, in part, to defend Kreher, who's their second-highest ranking member.

Three officers in wheelchairs were there, at times crying, their voices raised, as they told their stories of being shot on duty and paralyzed for life. They say they've made repeated calls for months to city officials to get help with their medical claims and have been ignored. They are part of a group of officers alleging that NovaPro, a San Diego-based private insurance company, has refused or made it difficult for them to get the medication they need to alleviate pain and repair or replace medical equipment.

"I've been calling the mayor's office for more than a year, and no one has called me back or I've been told to talk to another department. Kreher called me back the same day," said Ryan Phinney, a 43-year-old paraplegic whose squad car was T-boned in 1989. He said he suffered with kidney stones, made more painful due to his paralysis, because NovaPro either ignored or rejected his claims for months.

"Kreher was defending us against people who refused to listen, and that is so offensive. It's no wonder he got upset," Phinney said.

The city used to provide its own services, but "there were concerns about internal management," Franklin's office explained to CNN, so it began contracting in 2004 with NovaPro. The police union complained for months about the company. Atlanta officials this month renewed the city's agreement with NovaPro for $3.7 million over three years, saying no other company they're aware of was in position to do a better job.

Russ Whitmarsh, chief operating officer of NovaPro, referred all questions about the officers' allegations to city officials.

Mayor Franklin's spokesperson issued this statement to CNN:

"We are aware of the complaints of the five injured former Atlanta police officers. We greatly respect the service of these officers on behalf of Atlanta and the sacrifice they have made. The City of Atlanta has worked and will continue working with the employees' attorneys to address their current complaints. We take that responsibility and obligation seriously and intend to address every complaint within the framework of the Workers' Compensation Act."

A few days after the bat comment, Kreher apologized to Franklin in a letter, which was published on the union Web site. He called his remark "inexcusable," explaining that it sprung from "frustration and anger."
    Last edited by morintp; May 29th, 2009 at 11:38 AM.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

2. Remove Ads

That wasn't a threat, just a twist on a saying (so-and-so needs a 2x4 upside the head) that comments on how hardheaded someone is - and this is just more evidence that the officer was right. What a freakin' twit. If she is that thin skinned she needs a new job. She probably just wanted an excuse to get rid of him to stop him from standing up for his fellow officers.

Saying he wanted to do something is a looooong way in my book from saying he was going to do it. I want to make ten thousand dollars an hour. Does not mean it is ever going to happen.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Well atleast he didn't say he thought she needs a good pistol whipping!
    There's nothing wrong with shooting so long as the right people get shot. -- Dirty Harry Calahan

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    I'm glad I wasn't alone on this. What ticked me off the most is that her "fear" of his "threat" deflects attention from the real issue of the injured officers not receiving proper medical care. Which is probably what she wanted all along.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Sign me up! Can I bring my own bat? Studded with nails? Please?

Just kidding. Seriously, that ticks me off too.

His comments were not in good taste, unprofessional, and a big mistake.
    When people represent others, they may feel the need for a bat, but the whipping they hand out must always be professional.
    The way you express yourself with a microphone, in the newspaper, on on TV must always be in good taste and reflect properly on those you are paid to represent.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

there really was no reason for him to appologize, he was just expressing how he felt and how upset, i seen this on the news last week i thinhk it was, they said that she wasnt even in Georgia when he said that, let me tell you how much of a threat that is. ill join you on beating her with a bat.
    "When you have to shoot, Shoot! Don't talk."

I think people love to play the blame game when they want to avoid the real issues. The main point here isn't with what the officer said, it is the policy that he was protesting which is worse than his hypothetical statement. This is like comparing aggravated murder to a misdemeanor...
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    He was grandstanding himself. By saying what he did, he diverted away the attention from where it should have been. She just took advantage of his bad move. He's in public and should have behaved appropriately for those he was representing instead of making a fool of himself.

He apologized and should have, it's the professional thing to do.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    When people represent others, they may feel the need for a bat, but the whipping they hand out must always be professional.
    The way you express yourself with a microphone, in the newspaper, on on TV must always be in good taste and reflect properly on those you are paid to represent.

Agreed. This is a CYA (cover your rear) society we live in, and if you are going to fight in politics you have to do it their way.

With that said, people outta toughin up a little and do the right thing like help out those who gave their better years and health to make their towns just a little better.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

+1

Whether justified or true, his remarks were simply unprofessional, out of place and stupid. A really dumb move.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    +1. I'm a big fan of Police. But not a fan at all of Unions. If he is a union rep, he ought to know better. Save those remarks for later if you must say them.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

he should have given a non-apology apology. Something like, "I'm sorry she was offended by what I said." You know, what politicians use when they have to say something but want to side step their actions and place the blame on the other side.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

To be honest, I'm not always pro-LEO requests when it comes to funding, wage increases, etc.

The click it or ticket program where they create pseudo-road blocks to make sure you have a seat belt on. I'm also tired of speed traps, etc.

However, I have always taken my local PD side when it comes to health care. For that matter, for any city worker (FD, PD, WD, etc). I've been active on the issue, have voted on the issue, and have gone door to door to support (my city just voted out almost the entire town hall because they were messing with city's health care).

I do not work for a city, I don't sell insurance, etc. I just don't like city's messing with their worker's health care.

Just reading this thread I understand why the statement was made. The mayor is a coward (hiding behind PC wording issues). This would be the only issue I would need to voted out of office. I would begin a write in campaign if I lived there.

Right now, for me, a request for a wage increases falls on deaf ears (considering the rate of unemployment and foreclosed homes in my area). But when it comes to health care for state, city, etc. healthcare (and for their families), I would rather have a few less mowed parks or bike paths then take health care options from civil servants.

Just my $.02.

Shame on anyone messing with any PD's health care to save a few dollars. Take the funds from some where else.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links