joining the army...

joining the army...

This is a discussion on joining the army... within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; well my roommate and i are in the process of joining the army. he took his ASVAB this past thursday and got an 80. im ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: joining the army...

joining the army...

well my roommate and i are in the process of joining the army. he took his ASVAB this past thursday and got an 80. im talking to the recruiter monday and hopefully taking my ASVAB this thursday.

But i have a question, What should i ask about? What are the things you wished you would have asked about?

and im trying to memorize the Soldiers Creed, General Orders, Code of Conduct, and Soldiers Code. anyone happen to know a place i can get them off the internet as an audio file to listen to as i run, or would i have a better chance of making my own?

Thanks a lot.

and i know, get everything in writing or it doesnt exist ;)
    NREMT-B

"Dead is dead"
    "Yea, till we show up with jumper cables and drugs to debate it"

Quote Originally Posted by mikeprekopa View Post
    and i know, get everything in writing or it doesnt exist ;)
    best piece of advice i could give you, right there

and dont believe ANYTHING a recruiter says. they will bold faced lie to you to get you to sign the papers. dont rush into it, take your time, after all it is the next 4 years of YOUR life, not his

I don't know what skills you have...but do a bit of research and DO know what you are getting into.
    If any promises are made, get them in writing.

If you do go in...I salute you, and...don't volunteer for ANYTHING in boot camp.

Good Luck!

Stay armed...be all you can be...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Thank you, and your roomie...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

This site might help you make a better choice.

JK - good luck with your decision. I found that the only thing in writing that matters is length of enlistment. They can and may put you where they need you, but generally stick to what you signed up for.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Lead Moderator
    Do you know what you want to get into in the Army?

If you are not sure find a full list of Army MOS's and see what you want to try for. Also remember, you'll be leaving the Military some day, so try for a skill that will help you when you return to civilian life.

If you are looking at something technical also be sure and check out the Air Force and Navy, not knocking the Army, it was real good to me!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Do you know what you want to get into in the Army?

If you are not sure find a full list of Army MOS's and see what you want to try for. Also remember, you'll be leaving the Military some day, so try for a skill that will help you when you return to civilian life.

If you are looking at something technical also be sure and check out the Air Force and Navy, not knocking the Army, it was real good to me!
    yeah driving a tank is cool, but thre really isnt much call for it int he civilian world

Best thing I did was get the Army College Fund and the GI Bill.

When I went to college afterwards I was getting good cash every month.

I was in Combat arms and enjoyed.

I'd say make them sell you a good package.

Try all the branches as see what they will offer.

Make them sell it.
    Last edited by crankinNM; May 31st, 2009 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Left a word out

Try to get a good understanding of what you want out of your time. Are you going for college money or career, then determine what you think your preferred path would be and find out from others than a recruiter.

I would suggest 12B, but that's just because that is what I was .

Learn what you can, as you stated you are, and start working out now, clear up any tickets you have now and also take care of any medical issues you have so when you go to enlist you are not under a Dr. care. These things may seem like nothing but they can delay your enlistment date. Like when I had an outstanding speeding ticket from Stringtown, OK I got delayed in my enlistment. Turned out to me in my favor, Ft. Lenoardwood sucks in the summer.

Good luck and thank you and your buddy for serving.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

I could say be an Airborne Infantryman like me, but there isn't too much call for that once you get out.

You've gotten some good advice from some other posters. Like they say, get all you decide upon in writing, but make an informed decision, like picking an MOS that will set you up for the future.

You've probably seen on the news that the Army as a whole is way past our recruiting needs, so some things you may have heard about recently may not be there right now.

Drive on with what you're studying. The fact that you want to memorize while you run means you're looking at your physical conditioning, which is good.

Aside from that, show up with a good attitude. There's a lot to learn in a not-so-long period of time, so soak it up and you'll do well. When I was a DS, used to say that motivation, attention to detail and teamwork were the keys to the Privates' success. Good luck.
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

Quote Originally Posted by mutumbo View Post
    yeah driving a tank is cool, but thre really isnt much call for it int he civilian world
    Same with artillery! Funny, they train you to blow things up but when you retire they'll put you in prison if you do it again. Go figure...
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Lightbulb Congratulations and thankyou...

Ask about your signing bonus's, ask for a upgrade upon completion of basic and AIT if you qualify, get it in writhing and keep all documents handy, if you have any college then you qualify for a upgrade and more signing bonus's, again get it all in writing and keep copies of everything.

BTY my youngest Daughter an SPC in Korea wrote this for some special thing I forget what but it will help to give you the mindset ......

In 1775 a foundation was set for soldiers in both peacetime and periods of conflict. This layer of support was to help guide the beliefs of a community or individual, to set the moral nature in good spirits. The warrior ethos set to compel soldier to fight for victory no matter the effort or how long it takes. With the ethos there is a professional attitude that inspires me as a soldier to fulfill my obligations; regardless of the obstacles I must over come. That is why I believe that the most important part of the warrior ethos to me is “I will never leave a fallen comrade.”

In my oaths of enlistment I promises to support and defend the constitution form all enemies and to be faithful to it, and that would not be possible if I did not have my fellow comrade’s support. The most valuable recourse is the Soldier, without the soldier the army and the ethos would be not an instance. As a soldier I will always place the mission first, with the help of my battle buddy's we have selfless commitment to the mission, our country and my unit. We are learning and growing together to complete the mission first, and live by the values used to set the missions vision.

With having our vision in mind of how successful the mission will be, we will never accept defeat. For we are trained to overcome all obstacle with honor, the refusal to accept failure must always be prevalent in my mind. If there is ever any doubt or interferes with the mission, my comrades will be there to aid in destroying anything that interferes with victory.

The only way we will achieve victory is to never quit. I know that I will never quit, for if the doubt passes my mind, my fellow soldiers depend on what I do, and I must not falter. As a whole the Army will not let any soldier give up or quit, no matter the tasks, difficulties, or problem. We as one will be there for support! For we will not accept defeat by anyone, anything or anytime! We must keep the mission at hand, first on our minds, body and our spirit. Together as a team we overcome all obstacles with honor. We use our army values daily and must remember our soldier’s creed, for they help support all soldiers in our service.

When I state the soldiers creed and live my army values to my fullest it fuels me to fight through the worst of any conditions to obtain victory, and no matter how long it takes I will always be there for my comrades. I will know if I am wounded, my battle buddy is there and that soldier will do everything in their power to save my life. With the ethos I know I will never quit on those who do not quit on themselves and in the army we will never quit on each other. If the soldier is fallen they do not have to worry, for they where my support through every hardship, challenge, and obstacle that I will never leave a comrade. The ethos is strong in all soldiers and we would never leave a family member behind in the Army.

“The most impressive thing about any army is the individual soldier. He will always be the one responsible for taking and holding the ground in support of our foreign policy, mission, goals, and objectives. Even with sophisticated technology and advanced equipment an Army cannot fight, sustain , and win a war without individuals, quality soldiers” (SMA Glen E. Morrell) With the soldier we are a army, but when they are left fallen, then we have lost a piece of the foundations that holds the Army together.

I am a Warrior and a member of a team. I serve the people of the United States and live the Army Values.

I will always place the mission first.

I will never accept defeat.

I will never quit.

I will never leave a fallen comrade.

I am disciplined, physically and mentally tough, trained and proficient in my warrior tasks and drills.

I always maintain my arms, my equipment and myself.

I am an expert and I am a professional.

I stand ready to deploy, engage, and destroy the enemies of the United States of America in close combat.

I am a guardian of freedom and the American way of life.

I am an American Soldier.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

My Daughter is Leaving June 7th and heads to Fort Jackson on June 9th for 9 weeks, then off to Fort Sam Houston as a Para-Medic training for 18 weeks.

Word of advice, get into something that can be used in the Civilian world, also get into a career once out that can't be done in China or India. I am a IT-Engineer and many Engineering positions are going there. So far in Life I have been lucky and alway's been employed. Corporate America is greedy, and the Cnina/Indian market is 3 billion people and growing. Us Americans with a measly 300 million people pales when compared to Asia.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

First off..THANKS for joining. Secondly, do your homework on the MOS(Military Occupational Specility)or JOB you are interested in. Then if you are qualified for it..get it and any other option(Jump School, duty station etc) IN WRITING!! Don't sign(or raise your hand)until you are statisfied that you got what you wanted. GOOD LUCK!!!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

And just for fun, brush up on the meaning of the word HOOAH.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links