Defensive Carry banner

65 years ago, they did the impossible (Merged)

3K views 31 replies 31 participants last post by  HotGuns 
#1 ·
See less See more
#7 ·
They really did do the impossible. It could have SO easily not turned out as good as it did.

Much of the world still owes a great debt to these citizen soldiers.

#8 ·
#10 ·
I often wonder how I would have reacted when the gates dropped at Normandy. Every time I think about it, it blows my mind what our boys no older than me (22) did. They truly were our greatest generation.

#14 ·
My uncle was hit with shrapnel at Normandy, took a chunk of his upper leg.

God rest your soul Uncle Bud and to all those brave all those souls.

#11 ·
This week is WWII significant in that the 3rd-4th are the anniversary of the battle of Midway in 1942 on top of the D-Day landings 2+ years later. I hope we never ask a generation to make such sacrifices again although I know better.

#16 ·
Because of what they sacrificed 65 years ago, most of the world does NOT speak German.:congrats:
:usa:

#18 ·
My Mom had three cousins.

One was at Iwo Jima, one stayed home and the third was Airborne and was there on June 06, sixty-five years ago. I've met all three, and I'm proud of all three. I am honored to have met them and to be a part of the same family.

All three are gone now, as well as my Dad and his Brother. Uncle Ted was killed at the Bulge, so I never met him, as I'm not that old. Dad's gone, but he came home from Okinawa and Pelilieu and three other battles. As I study history I realize how great these men truly were and what the accomplished both, in the war and after, astounds me.

I just hope I can measure up to their standard as I live my life. In my opinion, I can do no better.

Biker

#20 · (Edited)
65 years ago

65 years ago today, many Allied soldiers lost their lives for our freedom. Don't take your freedom for granted.

"I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the alter of freedom." -Abraham Lincoln

D-Day Memorial at risk of closing

#25 ·
Yes, the Greatest Generation. May they never be forgotten. I recently read that there are 4 to 5 funerals, per hour, in Arlington National Cemetery, many of them World War Two veterans. So sad.

On a side note, my local daily newspaper today, contains not one single mention of the D-Day anniversary, other than a Peanuts cartoon.:frown:

#27 ·
I remember being taught about D-Day a bit back in high school (I'm 22), but it wasn't near as much as I have learned through reading and research on my own. It wouldn't surprise me if many people have never been taught about it as digitalexplr said.

I can only hope that parents will take the time to properly teach their children about what happened 65 years ago, as well as, why. Future generations need to remember/honor these men for the sacrifices they made for our country and our freedom. Not to mention the fact that they are the Grandfathers/Great Grandfathers/Great Great Grandfathers/so on of those of us enjoying our freedom today.

-Honor Them-Remember Them-

I think an old quote I have always liked/respected would fit well here:

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to relive it."
~Variant of a quote from George Santayana~

We must also remember their sacrifices made to rid the world of tyranny so that they are not made in vain. So that history does not repeat itself.

#31 ·
I have met many WWII vets and had long talks with them. Many opened up about things they "did not talk about", and it was obvious why. I never met one that was not strong about America and what it stood for.......

one reason it hurts me to listen to Obama when he makes his "apology" speeches.

May they all... rest in peace and forever have our highest respect, and never let anyone dishonor the price they paid for so many others and freedoms that would not be enjoyed today if it had not been for them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.