Update: I'm joining the millitary

This is a discussion on Update: I'm joining the millitary within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've wanted to join the military for a long time (since I can remember). I had a real problem trying to decide army vs USMC, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update: I'm joining the millitary

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar

I've wanted to join the military for a long time (since I can remember). I had a real problem trying to decide army vs USMC, but I decided on the Army National Guard. I've heard a bunch of negative things (under equipped, weekend warriors are vastly inferior to the "real" soldiers etc etc) , but the dual mission of the ARNG and their legacy (especially in AZ) has really fascinated me.

I'm interested what people w/ military experience think about the army national guard.

I wish I would have thought of it sooner b/c I could have gone to college and been in the ARNG, now that I have 2 semesters left (3 tops) and I am already on summer break it doesn't make sense to join until I graduate... live and learn i suppose

As always I appreciate your input
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

VIP Member
    The role of the Reserves and the National Guard has changed quite a bit in recent years. Back in the 70's and 80's they drilled once a month and it was a joke. Their weekend basically consisted of medical appointments commissary and BX runs. During their 2 week active duty each year it was more of the same, plus complaining about how much money they were loosing being away from their "real" jobs. During Desert Storm I had to listen to whining and crying about how much money they were loosing, and that the only reason they joined was "for the educational benefits". Needless to say they got no sympathy from active duty people.

At the time I was an E-7. I had a Lt Col start telling me how his law practice was falling apart because he was activated and deployed. He didn't particularly like it when I told him it was about time he started earning the money he had been getting paid, and that he was finally getting a taste of what AD lived with 365 days a year.

Just remember, if you take the pay, don't complain about deployments, time away from friends and family and low pay. Remember the AD guy lives with it full time.

My dad is retired KY ANG and he loved it. His unit and other local units have done a ton for the community. It's a very honorable branch to join and I applaud you on your decision.
    Glock 27

"Criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot."

Service is service, thanks for the choice you have made.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Congrats upon your choice to serve this country. You WILL most likely earn every $ you are paid.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Any service is better than no service and yes graduate first and do it as an officer.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Don't forget to look at the Coast Guard. Most overlooked service there is. How would YOU like to live by the beach your entire life???

I love it!

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Good deal! I wish you well, and thank you for your service to our country.

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    Service is service, thanks for the choice you have made.
    This. Congrats.

G19, G23, P2000 (9mm), LMT Defender 2000 (SOPMOD), Colt LE6920, Ruger 10/22

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Good Decision! I was in the Alabama Army National Guard - Served in OIF 2003, Combat MP Sgt. with 1165th MP Co.

Injury forced me out tho - bummer, really miss it.

Whatcha gonna be in there?
    For God, Family and Country!

A sharp salute to you. Thank you for your service.
    Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

If it is in your heart, just do it. The branch of service is irrelevant, as long as you do it to serve our great nation. Soldiers in the Reserves and NG make sacrifices, too. Just be dedicated to the mission and "be all you can be."
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

I'm interested what people w/ military experience think about the army national guard.
    Good for you. Join the US Army and go to EOD school. I did that in 1959. It was a never ending gong show punctuated by occasional planned and unplanned ear splitting noises.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    Good Decision! I was in the Alabama Army National Guard - Served in OIF 2003, Combat MP Sgt. with 1165th MP Co.

Injury forced me out tho - bummer, really miss it.

Whatcha gonna be in there?
    I'm looking into 18x (infantry with special forces option) or 19d (calv scout). I'm scheduled to take the ASVAB here in a month and MEPS not too long after that, so we'll see. I appreciate all the support and I am looking forward to serving state and country.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Good luck with whatever you decided to go into. And thanks for your service.

I am in the process of joining, but i get the feeling my recruiter is dragging his feet a little and I'm also held up on medical reasons.
    NREMT-B

"Dead is dead"
    "Yea, till we show up with jumper cables and drugs to debate it"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links