Thinking of joining the Air Force

This is a discussion on Thinking of joining the Air Force within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here's the the background...I'll give cliffs basically... Go to college in 2001 having no idea what I want to do...computers at this time is a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of joining the Air Force

Thinking of joining the Air Force

Here's the the background...I'll give cliffs basically...

Go to college in 2001 having no idea what I want to do...computers at this time is a hobby, basically for gaming. Build first system in 2003...loved it...I decided in school a business degree is not for me...a bit naive at the time but I ended up with an English Degree as I enjoy writing (though my muse has left me)...I graduate from college in 2005 and finished Fireschool at the end of the same year. A year later I finished Paramedic school.

Right now I am working as a Firefighter/Paramedic...it's not that I am bored of it already (3 years almost) it's that I want something ELSE to do. I've always liked building stuff but budgetary constraints and a lack of knowledge have hindered this. I have always liked the idea of being a technician or engineer. I know the military, specifically airforce, can train me to do this and when I emerge I can either go to more school or get a great job.

I'm an ENFP personality so we are the type who have multiple career types. This might be another one for me. I'm decent at math, my father was a math teacher and I have a pretty analytical mind. Calculus for Business was a pretty easy course for me.

Personally I've always kinda thought of joining the military. I think most men do at some point in their lifes, just to wonder. Working as a Firefighter has taught me, it is nothing like you expect...suffice to say I have no illusions of exciting battles and incredible thrills. I'm 20/40 so that rules out being Top Gun... (yes it Navy I know)

I would be the first of my family to join the military...everyone in my family is a teacher. I am single, 26, and other than a Condo, have nothing to really keep me from signing up. Maybe it's wanderlust or wanting to see the world but I feel that if I don't do this within a year I'll never do it.

My plan is the following:

1. Get prepbooks for the ASVAB and AFOQT...I am a good test taker and have taken a lot of standardized test so I have good study habits. A few months is all I would need to brush up on some math I have forgotten and learn skills (ex: basic mechanical concepts I may have not been taught) I took a sample AFOQT test today and got like an 80...(missing pretty much all aviation information, which I know nothing...) I didn't miss any verbal or math though...

2. Take test and find out scores, see what placements I get and what that means for my recruitment? I wouldn't enlist if I could be an officer, just because I would feel my college degree would be wasted. Question though, will they let me go through basic, basic training all soldiers go throuhg, (not just the officer one?)

3. Look at the options and decide from there. I have all the time I need and I am happy enough doing what I am doing now , I just don't think I'll reach my full potential. I like being pushed, it gives me focus.

People who are or in the Air Force (or any branch really) feel free to offer your insights. Thanks

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Officer go to a separate and completely different basic training from enlisted (don't want the officers to hear what the enlisted say about them! LOL). Only way around it would be to go in enlisted then apply for OCS. Depending on the quotas OCS has and the fields available, you might have a short wait, or you could be waiting for several years. From what I remember they attempted to put OCS candidates in a field their enlisted AFS (Air Force Specialty) is compatible with. I knew several Aircraft Maintenance officers who had been maintenance prior to going to OCS. Since you already have a degree I would bypass the enlisted ranks and go straight for commissioning. Pays definitely better. Hope I was of some help.

Go straight to Officer Training School (OTS) since you have a degree. You will not go through enlisted basic training. OTS picks up more civilians than AD AF to go through the school.

G19, G23, P2000 (9mm), LMT Defender 2000 (SOPMOD), Colt LE6920, Ruger 10/22

Thanks for the tip.

Also does my degree actually matter? I'm not sure how English Literature helps me fly a jet or build a satellite, though I imagine enhanced communication skills and intense critical analysis of text (you should see how marked up my copy of Moby Dick is) could help for intelligence analysis I guess.

The AF doesn't care what degree you have as long as you have one. I got my degree through Embry Riddle Aeronautical University (Professional Aeronautics) but I suck at those ASVAB and AFOQT tests so I couldn't become an officer (pilot). Even though I have an overall score of a 94 along with a class 1 medical and my private pilot's license. Study and get a good score. Then pick the job you want. Make sure it's in your contract before you sign it.

You went to Embry Riddle, had a degree there, and couldn't be a pilot?! That doesn't bode well for me...

That's what happens when you screw up the AFOQT.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blakestr View Post
    Thanks for the tip.

Also does my degree actually matter? I'm not sure how English Literature helps me fly a jet or build a satellite, though I imagine enhanced communication skills and intense critical analysis of text (you should see how marked up my copy of Moby Dick is) could help for intelligence analysis I guess.
    Nope, I had a aircraft maintenance officer who had a Masters Degree,major in Education with a minor in English. Depends on your scores and what they need at the time.

Anyone want to take a guess at what they NEED now? I could see myself piloting an unmanned drone or mech. (22 years of video game experience, great hand eye coordination and reflexes)...

the undergraduate UAV program is in its infancy right now...the first class is going through right now....and the AF doesn't know what they will do with it.

As far as what the "AF Needs" are....it varies, but generally: Intel, command and control (most enlisted, 1C3), Cops, pilots, maintenance, communications officers
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

The Marines teach someenlisted personnel how to fly their small UAV's, nothing the size of a predator or anything, but yeah, pretty much those are like playing a video game.

Just make sure you review all your options, and get everything you are promised or request in your contract.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Best thing to do is take all of your certs, degree, etc and go see an Air Force recruiter, try to see one who recruits officers. I have a friend who is an officer recruiter in Alaska and I can see if he can get me a name of one in your area. PM if you have any questions. I'm currently a SSgt in the USAF Reserve. Was on AD for 12 years.
    Libertas Vel Mors

I know that if you want a rated slot (pilot, navigator or battle field management) an engineering degree helps.

I would be very careful about joining the AirForce...are you sure that you stand clean sheets, steak cooked 'medium', and lots of indoor work in A/C?
    (Not everyone can work in these conditions.)
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

What are your AFOQT scores? You would need at least a 95 or better on the pilot score to be remotely competitive plus 20/20 or better vision with no depth perception problems or anything like that. Only pilots are flying UAVs, there are enlisted folks who are sensor operators but the pilot does the "houses bigger, houses smaller" trick in UAVs. With an English degree there will be some career fields they aren't going to let you in but those are generally speaking more technical fields, engineering etc. If you have a gift for languages I would recommend OSI, computers become a Comm officer, you could go Intel which wouldn't be a bad gig. I've been commissioned for 17 years now in ops and while I've had a lot of fun and some great TDYs there isn't much I'm doing in my job that has a broad counterpart in the civilian sector. When I retire, I'll be peddling my clearance as much as anything to try to get a job. Pilots run the Air Force, if you can make the cut and it is very very competitive and survive UPT you're pretty much guaranteed to be able to retire at 20 as a Major if you do nothing else but fly the line. Whatever you do, try to put yourself into something you can take out into the civilian sector with. The AF will give you training and certifications that will carry straight into civilian life, you just have to make the cut and get in to OTS and get commissioned.
    Desperate people do desperate things in desperate situations.

Heavily medicated for your protection.

Kimber Tactical Custom II, SIS Pro

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links