Friend is being deployed...gift ideas

This is a discussion on Friend is being deployed...gift ideas within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; First off, I would like to thank all the men and women who work to make the United States a great country. My little sister's ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Friend is being deployed...gift ideas

Friend is being deployed...gift ideas

First off, I would like to thank all the men and women who work to make the United States a great country.

My little sister's boyfriend is a member of the army national guard. His unit is being deployed to Iraq in Jan 2007. I haven't really talked with him that much about what he does in the guard, but I think that he works in the amory, but I could be wrong. It's alittle wierd talking with your little sisters BF when you still picture her as a little kid. A group of us would like to buy him some things to take with him, but we are not sure what to get him. Should we get him a good knife, a multi-tool, flashlight, body armor, boots?

Thanks in advance

2. Remove Ads

I understand from my buddy in the USMC that body armor will get you in some trouble if they catch you with it.

However he has told me that things like multitools, knives, and basic everyday living stuff is really great to have, because they can't just go to the corner and pickup a screwdriver, a razor, and a bag of Chips Ahoy.

He's told me he's most grateful for a knife I let him have years ago that he took over there and a small flashlight.

There are some websites you can go to that have lots of ideas of what to send him. Just do a google search. My wife organized the family when our nephew went over. Each person or family took a week, and got a list, and we all kept packages going to him for the entire time he was gone. They love getting mail. Anything they can't use they have places to donate the items for solders that don't get mail. The main thing is keep the packages coming. They don't have to be elaborate, joke items are great too. Wish him our best.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

1952 - 2006
    I'd say to get him a good knife. I like the Ka-Bar for operational purposes. You can get a brand new one on eBay for $40.

As others have said, a multi-tool is also a good choice.

A SureFire Flashlight will also be very handy to have I'm sure.

When I was in Vietnam, Kool-Aid was always nice to get because the water tasted like $#it. Grape was the preferred flavor because it was the strongest tasting and would eliminate the bad taste of the purification tabs.

I wish him well and a safe trip home.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

My 2c as a care package aficionado...

Some great suggestions already for stuff to give him before he flies. He will get great body armor, boots, and uniforms - this is no longer an issue. Below is the stuff I have my wife send after a month or so (it takes about a month for the mail to catch up).

- Stateside Copenhagen if he dips. Much better than the overseas AAFES stuff. Just wrap in zip locs so it doesn't dry out too much. Also cigars.

- Any old magazines. Shooting, cars, girls (be careful with this), music, hunting, etc. Anything you send will be read by him, traded, or both. Doesn't matter a bit how out of date.

- Old DVDs from Blockbuster. Again, anything they have.

- Used paperback books. Often the local library will donate stuff they were going to get rid of.

- Beef jerky or other snacks that can withstand high temps and rough handling. Vacuum sealed bags are great!

- Letters, especially those soaked with a bunch of girly perfume. It'll make his buddies jealous! Also pictures of home, family, etc.

- Disposable cameras.

- Good Gillette razors.

- Inflatable sheep. This will be a riot for his buddies - trust me.

- After 4-5 mos, socks and t-shirts. Find out what brand he likes, just order thru Ranger Joes or AAFES.

Iím sure some other guys will chime in. Tell him to keep his powder dry!

DH
    "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final." - Bill Jordan

Speaking of powder, moleskin and Gold Bond.

Administrator

Thumbs up Ditto: A Really Good Battle Knife

A knife that is good enough and tough enough to see hard use and then special enough to bring home to become an eventual treasured family heirloom.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Someone mentioned cigars... they get good Cubans over there, if there is a PX.

MMMMMM rice crispie treats. You can get a box of individually wrapped ones. My Brother-in-law said it was his favorite mail item.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

- Inflatable sheep. This will be a riot for his buddies - trust me.

That has to be worth a bazillion laughs - something they can use every day!

VIP Member
    Get him a mini mag lite with this attachment:

Nite Ize LED Mini Mag® Conversion Kit with Tailcap Switch
    gives a very nice light, last a long time and it still works with your regular AA batteries. He can use this for regular stuff and the SureFire for more serious applications.
    And don't forget batteries for both! Cheaperthandirt.com and QMUniforms.com have the SureFire batteries a good price. BJ's and Costco should have very good prices on a 48 pack brick of AA's
    PS: I bought my minimag upgrade at BassPro shops for just under $10. If you have one nearby, look for it there.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Anything (or everything, if you are willing to splurge!) from This list would be most appreciated I am sure...
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
    - Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by BushidoMarine
    Anything (or everything, if you are willing to splurge!) from This list would be most appreciated I am sure...
    BushidoMarine, that list is complete and exhaustive! Nothin' for me to add! Does this person wear glasses? Cause if so a set of those ugly cushioned combat glasses with inserts are invaluable!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by BushidoMarine
    Great list. Many of these items are now issued prior to deployment, to include:

M68 CCO, Advanced Combat Helmet w/ improved suspension, knee and elbow pads, gloves, 3 point sling, Night Vision system, hydration system, and ballistic goggles.

A good tactical light may or may not be issued, but would be a great gift idea, as well as the knives that others have mentioned. Batteries are always great, though the supply system has caught up on this for the most part. +1 on the drink mix, I forgot that on my list.
    "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final." - Bill Jordan

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    How about a small photo album of family and friends, to remind him what he has when hes coming home.
    Curry

Honest to goodness...

one of my most beloved possesions from my deployment was the cleaning kit I assembled for my team. Boresnakes for 5.56mm, 7.62mm, and .50 caliber. Walmart has wire brushes, both the silver and copper type. Dental picks and a good gun oil. That issue stuff just doesn't cut it. A variety of sizes of gun cleaning brushes in nylon, plus dental picks. Oh... and goody makes this nylon brush that's got black nylon bristles that go the whole way around it. I have no idea what its really for, but I got it from a dollar store. I kept it in my body armor for knocking the sand off weapons.

For me, Kool-aid and instant Iced Tea went very far. Also a real pillow was treat that took me a while to acquire. Music CD's of favorite bands. I probably shouldn't say this, but I wired up a cheap CD player and speakers in my humvee for playing music when we did maint. on the vehicle. That's kind of a far out one.

Alot of this stuff is individual prefference. I would say the most important thing is letters, constantly. The Army will provide what you need to survive, physically. The goodies that make professional soldier are usually best chosen by the soldier. It's the moral and emotional support that I saw people suffer from. Guys that don't get letters suffer. Guys that have to fight the home battle and the Iraq battle suffer. Just write and say you're on his side, that his nation supports him, and that you'll help look after the people he cares about at home. I think alot of guys want to know that their wives, moms, girlfriends, children have someone looking after them. I think they want to hear that their mission is important.

my 2 cents. sorry it's so long.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links