Any Correctional officers here?

This is a discussion on Any Correctional officers here? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was wondering if there are any correctional officers here on DC? I ask as I'm wanting to apply to become a correctional officer here ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Correctional officers here?

Any Correctional officers here?

I was wondering if there are any correctional officers here on DC? I ask as I'm wanting to apply to become a correctional officer here in Florida and was wondering if any correctional officers here could give me some pointers? I has an interesting conversation with a fellow just the other day who referred to C.O.'s as "wanna be" cops,which I took as an insult to say the least. I feel correctional officers do a very valuable and difficult job and a comment like this is pretty low IMO.

Needless to say this guy's one off comment hasn't deterred me at all. I've gone over the benefits with the local correctional institution and its seems like a worth while career. So if anyone here is in this line of work please sound off on the good and the bad points of this line of work.
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

2. Remove Ads

IMHO correction officers are important but they are not LEO's, they do not enforce the law. By the time the C.O get to them they have already had the law enforced on them. C.O are basically baby sitters. Honorable job, needed and dangerous. A person serving life has nothing to lose and has no problem screwing with the C.O's.

Shoot for a job as a jail C.O. instead of Prison you get a better class of criminal there. If such a thing really exists. I've actually been looking into a job in corrections as well. We have a county jail near by I'm trying to get into as easy as that sounds lol.
    There's nothing wrong with shooting so long as the right people get shot. -- Dirty Harry Calahan

I work for the Federal Bureau of Prisons, I am not a Corretional Officer but those that work in the federal prisons are considered law enforcement for the purpose of retirement. If you are interested in a career in corrections then you might want to look into our system. We are not laying off staff but are hiring.

Not quite sure how florida is, but here in my county our corrections guys get all the same benefits as the road deputies. Really the only difference is that corrections has a different patch on their arm and they don't carry their guns at work. Personally I wouldn't want to do their job. I have to deal with the people for maybe an hour tops in most situations and they have to deal with the scumbags daily. I wouldn't say they are "wanna be" cops, I would say they are just a different breed of cop. We have had deputies go to the road from the jail and from the jail to the road. The jail guys do tend to be quite a bit better at hand to hand DT stuff though.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

Look into working for the county. Here the guy working in the jail makes more than the guy on the streets.
    Randy
    "The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down". -unknown

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    CO's are LEOs in my country, they infact can be dual certified and work both correction and patrol. Just if you change from one to the other after working at only one you loose all rank. Also, think about it, Patrol only has to deal with the inmates once, the corrections deal with them during the entire shift. Also as a CO you can pick up extra money sometimes working what is called details where a person or business hires through the department a LEO to perform guard and security duties. Details is how my dad made a lot of great money, as in 500 dollars in one day details. Not saying they all will be that good, but still good. Im also in Leon country here in Florida.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

In NYS Correction Officers are Peace Officers with the same powers as Police Officers. Only stupid, ignorerant people that dont know anything about Law enforcement think Co's are Wannbe cops. NY CO's posses 24/7 powers of arrest and can CCW (anywhere) in NYS on Badge and I.D. (no permit needed) In NYS there is a law enforcement community. 1). Police Officers to enforce laws on streets 2). Court Officers to enfocre laws while they are in court sytem 3). Correction Officers to enfocre laws when they are incarcerated 4).Probation/Parole Officers to enforce laws when they are released back into society. We all regulate criminals on all the different levels and all have the same job to do,,,keep the civilians safe from criminals.
    Freeze Dirtbag!!!!!

CO is one of the most difficult and underappreciated jobs in the criminal justice system. A lot of COs do use the corrections system as a milestone to get to LEO road work. Some really like the jail work...If you are interested, go for it. I worked for the DOC here in our state for 5 years as a parole officer, and dealt with the prison system on a daily basis. I now work as a Court Probation Officer. Go for it.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    IMHO correction officers are important but they are not LEO's, they do not enforce the law. By the time the C.O get to them they have already had the law enforced on them. C.O are basically baby sitters. Honorable job, needed and dangerous. A person serving life has nothing to lose and has no problem screwing with the C.O's.
    Co's in NYS are in fact sworn LEO. They enforce penal and correctional law inside of the jail walls. They have full police power on and off duty(depends if your a state CO or county CO) power goes by Geographical Area Of Employment, the further you are away from your GAOE the further your off duty power diminishes. As CO's are Peace Officers by job title they are authorized to carry firearms on and off duty and make arrests on and off duty. The only difference between a Cop and a Co is that only a Cop can un-arrest someone after they have been arrested and only a Cop can serve a warrant search, peace officers can serve warrant less searches. All Cops have full off duty powers throughout the state of NY as CO's are limited like I stated earlier except for NYS CO's they have off duty power state-wide.
    One more step and it's on!

It depends. County jails are usually run by the County Sherriff. If the county has money and a good Sherriff, they could be good to work. Many returning customers, generally more violent, as offenders are still high/drunk/POd when arriving.

State prisons- quality still depends on funding. Generally less violent (though that depends much on the house you work). Violence will more likely be premeditated and you'll have a "closer working relationship" with the inmates.

Federal is supposed to be pretty nice.

Some COs are consummate professionals; some are only differentiated from population by the uniform. Since pay is frequently lower than sworn LE, and since many Departments require CO time prior to application to the Department, there is a "lowest common denominator" aspect.

I did a very brief stint in Tenn. My Sgt. and I agreed I, "wasn't enough of an SOB," FWIW...

I come from a family of correction officers and will second that it is one of the most difficult and unappreciated jobs in law enforcement.

Wannabe cops!!! I stopped using the language that comes to mind when I read a comment like that.

There is a reason they call NYC Correction Officers "New York's Boldest". Half the guys in PD would quit rather then walk into a facility on Rikers without their gun. One CO in a dorm with 50 ~ 100 inmates. Wannabe cop my rear.

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    As a former NYS Court Officer I worked side by side with NYC Correction officers for 20 years and learned to respect them fully.
    If you want to learn prisoner control tactics, riot control methods and chemical agents then these are the go to guys/gals.
    And yes, they--and many others agencies--are fully sworn law enforcement officers.

Quote Originally Posted by dripster View Post
    Co's in NYS are in fact sworn LEO. They enforce penal and correctional law inside of the jail walls. They have full police power on and off duty As CO's are Peace Officers by job title they are authorized to carry firearms on and off duty and make arrests on and off duty.

The same in NJ. In fact the NJDOC get called by local pd for help using the K-9's, also the NJDOC sog team was called in to help the NJSP and other le offices to round up the "bloods" in state wide round up. Also NJDOC sog team went to NYC to assist in 9/11, guard airports, military base, and i believe they went to nuke plant also(not sure on that one) but co's aren't leo's.... BS!! we could go on and on if co's are or are not leo's. each side with their own points. And yes co's still enforce state laws from behind the wall. i.e drug, assaults , contraband(depends what type of its state or "jail" law)etc...

Depending upon what type of facility you would be working in, I think being a correctional officer is much more dangerous than being an LEO on the street.

A high-level security facility, anyone may want to kill you without warning at any time, everyone you are dealing with is bad, and you have no guns to protect yourself..... and you are dealing with it constantly your whole time there... and there is no "getting away from it". NO LEO has to deal with that.

It is not for everyone. Even in a minimum facility, anything can happen even though there is less chance... it doesn't mean there is no chance of it. You have to be able to deal with stress well, insults off your back like a water off a duck, and be able to control your anger / emotions, etc. reasonably well. You have to be able to exert authority in a way that people will comply, without being nasty or 'threatening' about it .... as that will get you seriously hurt. You have to be able to react quickly in an emergency, think quickly, and act quickly... as your health could depend upon it.

My hat's off to them all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links