Looking At the Air Force. AFOSI specifically

This is a discussion on Looking At the Air Force. AFOSI specifically within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well in reponse to the Air Force oriented thread on the board I figured I would start one of my own, Since I too have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking At the Air Force. AFOSI specifically

Well in reponse to the Air Force oriented thread on the board I figured I would start one of my own, Since I too have been contemplating applying for OTS with the Air Force as well. My primary focus thus far has been looking at AFOSI since it is with out a doubt the most appealing to me. Given my what would be post military career ambitions it would be the most beneficial. Im currently working the application process for a few federal LEO jobs (FBI, USSS,FAM etc) so im keeping my fingers crossed but competition is so high its really tough to break in. All in all though I think it would be more fullfilling to serve for however long and transfer back into civilian life If I choose not to make a career out of it.

As for education goes I finished college last spring with a Bachelors, so atleast I have that. I would have went on for my masters but the money jus wasnt there and the loans are bad enough haha. My Father is a retired SA of the FBI so Ive wanted to go into that career since I was a liitle kid. I want to retire as a Special Agent with the FBI and I think military service would be the best way to make that happen.

Im considering myself a newbie as far as applying for OTS as well as OSI so any information you guys have Im interested to hear it. Who to talk to what to study in terms of the ASVAB and AFOQT. I noticed In the other thread there was alot of concern over what was in and what wasnt in a contract. what specifically should I be concerned with in that area if I make it that Far?? Thanks again guys and sorry for the simplistic questions.

- JOhn

I know that OSI is always recruiting, but this is what I got of their websight.

Applicants to Officer Training School

AFOSI accepts officers into agent positions from Officer Training School, but this route is extremely competitive and all but limited to enlisted AFOSI agents seeking positions as officer agents.
    Joe

PILSUNG

Your contract is important. You're locked in for the amount of years you stated so there's no getting out. Make sure everything is on there, rank you were told your going to get, any bonus and the job you specifically stated. As for the ASVAB, you can buy a study guide from a bookstore.

Also, they will do an credit check on you and your spouse (if married) since you are going to go for a Top Secret clearance. They will also do a local and national background check on both of you. Once you are hired, they will get very deep. They'll talk to anyone and everyone you listed in the application. Any of those people can screw you over big time.

Once you're in, you'll work irregular hours and deploy for 6 months at a time.

G19, G23, P2000 (9mm), LMT Defender 2000 (SOPMOD), Colt LE6920, Ruger 10/22

I have two former OSI agents that work for me - both went in as AFROTC officers and were selected for OSI. Both deployed to Iraq for 6 months stints - one of them twice. Another former employee of mine is now in OSI as a civilian agent - he's headed to Afghanistan for a year to setup a task force.

Expect to receive great law enforcement experience, but in today's world, I would expect to see combat as well - certainly not the normal OSI situation. I know one of my folks was involved in several shooting engagements - Sig Sauer handgun + standard M4 w/ Aimpoint..

b
    NRA Life Member | NRA & MADFI Instructor | Blog | Twitter | Facebook
    My views are my own - they may or may not reflect those of my employer.

yea that about sums up my dream career

Another option you may want to consider and it would be somewhat risky but I don't wonder if it wouldn't be possible to go into ROTC for two years to get your Masters and try to get selected for OSI out of ROTC.
    Desperate people do desperate things in desperate situations.

Heavily medicated for your protection.

Kimber Tactical Custom II, SIS Pro

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    During my Active Duty stint as an Air Force Officer, I was an OSI Special Agent. There is not a doubt in my mind that my OSI experience paved my way into civilian federal law enforcement. It was a great agency back in the early 90's. It is even more so now. I have given serious thought to going back as a civilian OSI Special Agent many times. As has been pointed out, it can be very tough on family life. Expect deployments. Lots and long. Expect to see combat conditions. The mortality rate for OSI is at an incredible high right now. OSI Agents now perform missions we never even dreamed of "back in the day".
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

here is a site that will give you lots of info on AFOSI:

Air Force Office of Special Investigations - FAQ Topic

If this is really something you want to do, then deploying should be no big deal, let me tell you there are times I feel more safe over here in Afghanistan than I do some places in the states. sure I have been shot at over here, sure I have come across my share of road side bombs. But it is part of the job and what I have trained for and at the end of the day I stop and thank God that I am an American and have the freedom to chose to defend my country. Yes having to leave our family for any time does suck, but let me tell you they all understand and are very proud of you.

AFOSI as an Officer, Enlisted or Civillian will be very rewarding.
    Hope this site will help.

Thanks for the info guys, Im gonna try and get together with my local recruiter either this coming week or the week after and get some of the details figured out. I have a bit of a ways to go fitness wise so I want to get myself to a appropriate level before I sign on.

As for Family im 23 and single so I dont have alot extra issues associated with a wife and kids so that helps.

Not trying to hijack but what is the minimum ASVAB general score to have? I tried applying and after months of waiting, they said my general score was too low (which it is).

Quote Originally Posted by Shotdown View Post
    Not trying to hijack but what is the minimum ASVAB general score to have? I tried applying and after months of waiting, they said my general score was too low (which it is).
    Regardless of your ASVAB score, you would not be able to go directly into OSI as a new enlisted troop.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

I'm not new. I'm a Technical Sergeant.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo View Post
    Regardless of your ASVAB score, you would not be able to go directly into OSI as a new enlisted troop.
    Gonzo
    But after completing OTS you can correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Shotdown View Post
    I'm not new. I'm a Technical Sergeant.
    Roger that! Sorry.
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    But after completing OTS you can correct?

Rare, but yes.
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links