Strange little incident involving an LE

This is a discussion on Strange little incident involving an LE within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Our tv-station's coverage of the following strange little episode is too incomplete to really know what happened; but interesting scenario and situation. An LE from ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strange little incident involving an LE

VIP Member

Our tv-station's coverage of the following strange little episode is too incomplete to really know what happened; but interesting scenario and situation.

An LE from a neighboring community was arrested here and is suspended from his position.

He and his family had been in town to shop Wally. He called 911 to report some sort of incident in which he alleged that someone was harassing his family while they were in the store.

On hanging up after his call, he drew his gun and raced around the store trying to find the "perpetrator."

Other patrons, seeing a man with a drawn gun, called 911.

The "officer" was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct. The
    individual who was alleged to have initiated the disturbance (if there even was such a person) was never located.

So basically, what went down was an off duty LE from a different city scooting around in Wally's with his gun drawn, for no apparent reason if the news story is correct, and frightening the other customers.

The way the story was written, it was not possible to tell if the officer's suspension was for this incident, or if the man had been previously suspended.

Anyway, a very strange incident, all in all, that could have ended very badly.

Strange incident, strange cop, strange approach to finding BG in WW.

Wouldn't store cameras have 'said' incident on tape?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    It'll be interesting to see the tapes, if there are any.

I once worked with an officer-in-training who did something similar. Turns out he was a flake. He got booted.

Not saying this is the case with the officer in the OP. He'll stand or fall on his own actions.

I wonder if suspension is normal for such an incident, or if there are other factors involved.

It would be very interested to see video of the original harasment incident.
    We can't stop here...this is bat country.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Res Ipsa Loquitur

I'm almost betting that somebody may have said something inappropriate to is wife and after she told him about it he went looking for the guy to confront him.Either way It sounds like he over reacted and if it would have been one of us we would be bonding out of jail with a probable permit revocation
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Aren't cops exempt from all this?
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfshead View Post
    Aren't cops exempt from all this?
    No, of course they aren't. Why would you even think this?

Cops have to obey the same laws as the rest of us.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Administrator
    What a knucklehead. It doesn't matter if the harassment happened or not, that is a very stupid thing to do. He should be working at the car wash or something, not an LEO.
    "Just blame Sixto"

He could have definitely handled the situation better. You would think he would know better. I wonder if he was identifying himself as a leo or just running around like an idiot.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    If the situation was urgent enough to require a gun in hand, he perhaps should have kept the suspect(s) in sight, and had someone else call 911? If "harassment" was what happened, I see no reason to go "running around" with a gun in hand, without being readily identifiable as an LEO. (A badge in hand, or around the neck on a chain, does NOT constitute "readily" identifiable.)

Pointing a firearm in the general direction of a person/people, without reasonable legal justification, is going to get a person in legal trouble, LEO or not; an LEO can expect to be suspended if legal troubles are pending. If it is justified, but done badly, such as not using a reasonably safe ready position, then sanctions can be expected from the admins.

My employer has a policy that prohibits me from taking police action in incidents involving close family members, other than protecting them from immediate harm, or pursuing a perpetrator who has just caused actual harm, or is still a credible threat.
    Last edited by Rexster; June 15th, 2009 at 12:43 PM. Reason: typo

This might be the same LEO that stopped me after backing up 100' on an offramp to get back on the interstate one late night. He had his weapon drawn while I was getting out of my car. Long story short, he gave me a reckless driving ticket. Got it lowered to improper backing. Still cost me $200 and 2 pts on my SC driving record.
    Bosun
    Semper Paratus
    "Never choose a life at sea--it holds you like a prison"

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Very strange story. I'd like to know the whole story. If this was all because someone said something he did not like he was completely unjustified in his actions. He's in someone else's jurisdiction. Call them and be a good witness. Harassment isn't a felony. There is no need to draw your weapon and go Rambo!

I suspect there are other issues with this guy that are not being reported in the story. Though I think as reported running around like Rambo after some who "harassed" your family probably does warrant a suspension of some type.
    NRA Life Member

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosun View Post
    This might be the same LEO that stopped me after backing up 100' on an offramp to get back on the interstate one late night. He had his weapon drawn while I was getting out of my car. Long story short, he gave me a reckless driving ticket. Got it lowered to improper backing. Still cost me $200 and 2 pts on my SC driving record.
    Sounds like you earned that one.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Bosun View Post
    Yep, you earned that one, and, depending on the conditions at the time, I would have had a conversation with the on-call Assistant D.A. That deserves more than a ticket and points; how about several thousand dollars in expenses, and several hours, at least, in jail, and that several hours assumes a clean prior criminal record?
    Last edited by Rexster; June 16th, 2009 at 11:05 AM. Reason: clarification, typo

On this jurisdiction thing, keep in mind that most states are moving toward standardizing the peace officer standards and training, some using the acronym POST. Part of this is giving peace officers and other LEOs what amounts to varying degrees of jurisdiction throughout their state. I have worn a badge for over 25 years, and I have seen my powers and privileges extended quite a bit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links