FlyClear becomes FlyByNight

This is a discussion on FlyClear becomes FlyByNight within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In the middle of the night last night, FlyClear hit the road running. For those not familiar, this was the pre-screening program where frequent travelers ...

Thread: FlyClear becomes FlyByNight

Senior Moderator

FlyClear becomes FlyByNight

In the middle of the night last night, FlyClear hit the road running.

For those not familiar, this was the pre-screening program where frequent travelers could undergo a background check, and then use a special security line at the airport for much faster clearance through security.

This was a subscription service, and users ponied up ~200 bucks a year for the benefits.

As of last night, they've closed down all their operations. They're not answering their phones, and their website says simply:

At 11:00 p.m. PST on June 22, 2009, Clear will cease operations. Clear’s parent company, Verified Identity Pass, Inc. has been unable to negotiate an agreement with its senior creditor to continue operations.
    It leaves one to wonder, what happens to all the private personal and biometric data they have?

And of course, how do customers get refunded the balance of their membership fees?

Argh.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

2. Remove Ads

I travel in excess of 100 nights a year and fly 80% of the time. I always considered them to be a scam perpetrated in conjunction with the airports in which they operate (for a fee).

Glad to see 'em go......now that will open up another security lane for the rest of us.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Senior Moderator
    My wife was a member, and really liked it. It actually worked very well.

The problem, at least at MCO, is that they have those "expert traveller" lanes, but they don't enforce it, so you invariably end up stuck behind Ed and Edna Tourist, their 5 suitcases and 3.2 kids.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.

Paraphrased from another article about this topic: FlyClear was just another prop in the government production known as "Security Theater." Just another little program to keep anxiety levels high concerning the need to have biometric data to prove that you are not, in fact, a terrorist. Now the anxiety levels have been ratcheted up quite a bit more for business travelers trying to figure out how to get past all those clueless Disney visitors in Orlando...and the show goes on!
    A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves. --E. Murrow
    Pro-2A, anti-NRA, GOA life member, JPFO

Senior Moderator
    Yeah, it's all a big conspiracy....

Meanwhile:

At 11:00 p.m. PST on June 22, 2009, Clear will cease operations. Clear’s parent company, Verified Identity Pass, Inc. has been unable to negotiate an agreement with its senior creditor to continue operations.

What will happen to my personal information?

Applicant and Member data is currently secured in accordance with the Transportation Security Administration’s Security, Privacy and Compliance Standards. Verified Identity Pass, Inc. will continue to secure such information and will take appropriate steps to delete the information.

Will I receive a refund for membership in Clear?

At the present time, because of its financial condition, Verified Identity Pass, Inc. cannot issue refunds.
    Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    My wife was a member, and really liked it. It actually worked very well.

The problem, at least at MCO, is that they have those "expert traveller" lanes, but they don't enforce it, so you invariably end up stuck behind Ed and Edna Tourist, their 5 suitcases and 3.2 kids.

Matt
    Not if you leave at 6am Monday morning!

Now, try flying out at 6pm Sunday evening, and you're in for one heck of a miserable experience!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

The Mrs and I were a clear member will see what happens. There is other companies that compete with Clear and you were able to use their lane. Wonder if they will still honor the card or will Clear be bought out. I got an email from clear state says" At 11:00 p.m. PST today, Clear will cease operations. Clear's parent company, Verified Identity Pass, Inc. has been unable to negotiate an agreement with its senior creditor to continue operations.
    After today, Clear lanes will be unavailable.
    Sincerely,
    Clear Customer Support

I guess a phone call to American Express will get me my money back and will have to call Verified Identity Pass the parent company to see whats going to happen with the card.

Senior Moderator
    Good luck calling them - nobody answers their number and the voicemail box is, naturally, full.

Matt

"I guess a phone call to American Express will get me my money back and will have to call Verified Identity Pass the parent company to see whats going to happen with the card."

Hitch,I'd like to know what American Express says about reversing the charge on your acct.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Quote Originally Posted by The Fish View Post
    Hitch,I'd like to know what American Express says about reversing the charge on your acct.
    Amex is the best about reversing/suspending questionable charges. They usually do so with no questions asked until they've finished investigating Chances are this outfit won't even respond to Amex's queries, so by default the charge reversals will stand.
    A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves. --E. Murrow
    Pro-2A, anti-NRA, GOA life member, JPFO

all the major credit card companies are pretty good. I have to look thru american Express statements online to find charge. No way will charge stand. I did not get what I paid for. Will keep everybody posted.

Links