Written account of my Lakewood ride along - kind of long

This is a discussion on Written account of my Lakewood ride along - kind of long within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is an update of my previous post http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...kewood-pd.html It was scheduled for 3-7 today. I arrived at the station at 2:45 pm to make ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Written account of my Lakewood ride along - kind of long

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar

Written account of my Lakewood ride along - kind of long

This is an update of my previous post http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...kewood-pd.html

It was scheduled for 3-7 today. I arrived at the station at 2:45 pm to make sure I wasn't late. At 3:15, the officer I was assigned to walked up. He was carrying a Mossberg 500 12 ga on his shoulder. After some small talk, we got into his cruiser and took off.

Our first call was an "unlawful backing" in a local condo community. A lady backed up into another man's car. This then escalated into alleged "shaking" of the woman by the man. A male family member said he witnessed it, but the other man's family said it happened differently. At any rate, the officer got frustrated and we left the scene. Since it was on privately owned property, he couldn't do anything anyways.

Second call about 30 min later was a 911 hang up call. We went to the house and met another officer. The gentleman who answered the door said he was house sitting for the owner. He let us in and the two officers began to search to make sure everything in the house was ok. Once they established it was accidental (in reality, it was probably a cat stepping on the phone), we left the residence.

Third call was to an apartment (read: crap hole) complex because of a smell of weed. When we got there, about 6 or 7 boys, aged 8-10, surrounded us and were asking the officer everything about being a cop. It was cool to see the kids that excited about him. There's always the age that think being a cop is cool. We went to the unit that was reported, but of course, no one knew anything about it.

Fourth call was a loud house party by a grumpy neighbor. When we got there, we couldn't hear anything from across the street. The officer issued a warning and we left.

Aside from a lot of driving his beat, this is about all that happened. As we were heading back to the station to drop me off, things got interesting. A call came across about an accident involving a truck off the road and stuck in a ditch. We flip on the lights and haul to get there. When we got there, we found out more. The truck was in a ditch, but the driver jumped out and ran. It turns out (after about 90 min there at the scene) that the guy was drunk and "stole" the truck from his soon to be ex-gf. I say "stole" because she claim he didn't have permission to take it, but as it turns out, she sent him on a beer run after they'd been drinking all day. This guy goes off the road going about 60 mph, clears a creek Dukes of Hazard style. He then spins out and guns it into the burm of the creek and runs.

So that was the day. It was surprisingly slow for the 4th of July, but still gave me a good idea of the average day for the Lakewood Police.

I've decided though, I'm going to apply for their next Academy class.

Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like an interesting day (I would like to try that...), and I'm glad you enjoyed it.
    Going to do it again?

(My ride-a-long involved taking the wife to several stores and the mall.)
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

That was more interesting than what I did today!

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    That was more interesting than what I did today!
    Ha! And what was that, Grady?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Quote Originally Posted by pcon View Post
    Ha! And what was that, Grady?
    Too boring to tell. Besides, it'd blow my cover.

I went to work.

Nice.

I had a chance to do a ride along once, we had a friend who is an ann arbor cop, but he had the late shift and I did not want to get off at 3am

Pcon, I hope you had fun
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

All I did was get sunburnt riding my bike in 106 degree weather after being in Montreal Canada for 2 months,I look like a french fried Texan
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    All I did was get sunburnt riding my bike in 106 degree weather after being in Montreal Canada for 2 months,I look like a french fried Texan
    Could be worse duk, you could be a half baked Texan!!

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Very cool... it's a shame you didn't get to see more "action", but I'm sure the LEOs here would say, "Be careful what you wish for..."
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Quote Originally Posted by PointnClick View Post
    Very cool... it's a shame you didn't get to see more "action", but I'm sure the LEOs here would say, "Be careful what you wish for..."

Yeah, for sure. I really just wanted to go into it with a feeling of the "average" day and what kind of calls officers often had to go out on. I feel like I got a decent idea of that.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    it soes sound like an interesting day hope you had fun
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Sounds like fun. Glad you had a good time and didn't get involved in anything too dangerous or scary. :)
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

MY wife's uncle is a copy here in Alabama (actually one of our mod's home town) and I have been trying to get to ride with him. I think maybe this weekend. Should be fun, 3rd shift as long as I want to ride. Can't wait.

MT
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

Steps in the stripping of State's Rights/Sovereignty
    1. War of Northern Agression 2. Coersion to ratify the 14th Amendment 3. Ratified 17th Amendment

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeytown View Post
    MY wife's uncle is a copy here in Alabama (actually one of our mod's home town) and I have been trying to get to ride with him. I think maybe this weekend. Should be fun, 3rd shift as long as I want to ride. Can't wait.

MT
    That sounds awesome. You'll have a blast.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links