Video: Super police car technology

This is a discussion on Video: Super police car technology within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A new super police car uses advanced technology to battle bad guys. Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video: Super police car technology

A new super police car uses advanced technology to battle bad guys.

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

They could eliminate car chases with a 'one chance' warning device and then use a mounted RPG.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I've read about this in the past - first video I've seen. I think it's pretty cool. Hope they have an entire team of LEOs on board offering suggestions. I'm an engineering student and all too often us engeeneeeers hole up in our offices and start pumping out what WE think will be the perfect solution for an industry we have no experience with.

I wish them luck, I think our officers deserve anything we can give them to offer the upper hand.
    "In God we trust, as for the rest of you... keep your hands where I can see them" - Unknown

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    they will probably use it to inforce seat belt laws. Really tho it does look cool.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

And all it would take is one well-placed shot to take out the officer and (for a little while) the car. I know it would be attrociously expensive, but I cannot help but think that armoring such a vehicle would be a useful life-saving measure.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by smotta View Post
    I've read about this in the past - first video I've seen. I think it's pretty cool. Hope they have an entire team of LEOs on board offering suggestions. I'm an engineering student and all too often us engeeneeeers hole up in our offices and start pumping out what WE think will be the perfect solution for an industry we have no experience with.

I wish them luck, I think our officers deserve anything we can give them to offer the upper hand.
    They do have a lot of input from real cops. They sent out questionares a few years ago, formed regional focus groups, and the now have been touring a car around the country so officers can sit in it, use some of the features, and they can gather feedback. It does look pretty cool in person.
    All the features are offered ala carte, so they do differ greatly depending on the needs and budget of the particular department. One neat thing is, these cars will never be for sale on the general market. What Carbon plans on doing is buying the cars back to be recycled once they have lived out their useful life. They will be stripped down for parts, or refurbed and sold to a department that can't buy a new one. The cars lifespan should be a little longer than the standard Vic because its purpose built, and has a diesel engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    they will probably use it to inforce seat belt laws. Really tho it does look cool.
    Yeah, probably that too, among a lot of other things. Maybe the grammer police will use one to deliver a dictionary to you.

Quote Originally Posted by United93 View Post
    And all it would take is one well-placed shot to take out the officer and (for a little while) the car. I know it would be attrociously expensive, but I cannot help but think that armoring such a vehicle would be a useful life-saving measure.
    Its all about money. Our vics do have armor, but its very expensive. Not many departments can afford it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

This is slightly off topic, but what part of your patrol car would you LEOs want armored, if you could only have a, say, 3'x3' panel?

I would think the driver's door, so that when you take cover behind it, it actually is cover.

Administrator
    Yup, driver door.
    "Just blame Sixto"

My guess is this car will be super high dollar, and have no sale value when too worn out for police use. I know that many departments are already struggling with high operational expenses and very limited budgets. This car may be more of a problem than a solution.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    My guess is this car will be super high dollar, and have no sale value when too worn out for police use. I know that many departments are already struggling with high operational expenses and very limited budgets. This car may be more of a problem than a solution.
    Sounds about right. My question is, what is the real advantage you get for this top dollar? Does anyone really need a giant fancy touch screen to control the radio and a couple cameras, or does the touch screen system replace the computer system the department might otherwise put in? If so we're probably talking about even more cost there.

I think I'd rather have that money spent on more officers than a car with fancy lights and a builtin touchscreen.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

It seems like the most useful feature would be running 1500 plates per minute, but wouldn't that bog down a lot of departments servers? Not to mention their bandwith?
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Sixto, you seem to be the most informed on this vehicle so let me ask you a few questions. Does it have anything on it that you can see as something all LEO's should have and are currently lacking? Or is it everything a current cop car is, with a few useless extras, just in a sleaker more modern package?

Anything to help keep LEO's safe I'm all for it. But if it's just something new and not going to help much then spend the money on something useful, like more cops.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    I think I'd rather have that money spent on more officers than a car with fancy lights and a builtin touchscreen.
    I'd rather have more money spent on Police officers so they can march on washington and tell Screwbama that they can handle local and state law enforcement and does need a civilian security force telling Americans what we can and cant do.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    Not really, when you take into account everything that goes into a police car. Remember, the features you see in the video are to highlight the neat stuff. Each department picks and chooses what it needs and doesn't need taking into account their own budgets.

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    Sounds about right. My question is, what is the real advantage you get for this top dollar? Does anyone really need a giant fancy touch screen to control the radio and a couple cameras, or does the touch screen system replace the computer system the department might otherwise put in? If so we're probably talking about even more cost there.

I think I'd rather have that money spent on more officers than a car with fancy lights and a built in touchscreen.
    Yes, the touch screen replaces what is already in the car. We already have touch screens in the cars we have right now, this simply puts all the controls on unit instead of having a box here, a box other their and a touchscreen notebook here. The money is already being spent in the police cars, and we already have the technology. This just simplifies the equipment, and it actually saves money.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    It seems like the most useful feature would be running 1500 plates per minute, but wouldn't that bog down a lot of departments servers? Not to mention their bandwith?
    No, it wont. Here is why. The system that the plate readers use now is not a live database. It uses a separate system uploaded a few times a day. In laymens terms (I'm the layman here, just a dumb street cop) its as if each terminal has its own memory bank to pull info from. Only when there is a hit, will the officer need to switch over to the "live" system to confirm the entry.

Quote Originally Posted by BradyM77 View Post
    Sixto, you seem to be the most informed on this vehicle so let me ask you a few questions. Does it have anything on it that you can see as something all LEO's should have and are currently lacking? Or is it everything a current cop car is, with a few useless extras, just in a sleaker more modern package?

Anything to help keep LEO's safe I'm all for it. But if it's just something new and not going to help much then spend the money on something useful, like more cops.
    The car itself is better designed for police use. From the ground up, it was built for the rigors of having a cop beat on it 24/7. The current interceptors and chargers are both retro fitted and beefed up here and there, they are still just passenger cars. Nobody thought these cars would be running shift after shift day in and out, blasting down alleys or taking part in high speed pursuits. Add all the weight of equipment, all the junk that is retro fitted, like the computers, fire suppression weapon mounts, armor, trunk vaults... I can go on and on, the car is no longer within the spec that the engineers who designed it had in mind.
    Little things like integrating the computer and weapon mounting, having the suicide doors and reverse seat belts in the back, being able to clean out the back passenger compartment properly, a well designed partition all go a long way for the comfort and safety of all the occupants, cop and prisoner alike.

The Fords, Dodge and Chevy police vehicles leave a lot to be desired. Chevy has been putting out complete garbage for this market, Ford has done nothing to the interceptors and has been talking about pulling out of the market for a long time now. Dodge came out with the charger, and while it is a great looking car that performs really well, it still misses the mark for the ideal patrol car. Besides, Dodge might not be here much longer.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    The car itself is better designed for police use. From the ground up, it was built for the rigors of having a cop beat on it 24/7. The current interceptors and chargers are both retro fitted and beefed up here and there, they are still just passenger cars. Nobody thought these cars would be running shift after shift day in and out, blasting down alleys or taking part in high speed pursuits. Add all the weight of equipment, all the junk that is retro fitted, like the computers, fire suppression weapon mounts, armor, trunk vaults... I can go on and on, the car is no longer within the spec that the engineers who designed it had in mind.
    Little things like integrating the computer and weapon mounting, having the suicide doors and reverse seat belts in the back, being able to clean out the back passenger compartment properly, a well designed partition all go a long way for the comfort and safety of all the occupants, cop and prisoner alike.

The Fords, Dodge and Chevy police vehicles leave a lot to be desired. Chevy has been putting out complete garbage for this market, Ford has done nothing to the interceptors and has been talking about pulling out of the market for a long time now. Dodge came out with the charger, and while it is a great looking car that performs really well, it still misses the mark for the ideal patrol car. Besides, Dodge might not be here much longer.
    Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. Hopefully with the current economy some dept's can afford some of these vehicles so this company doesn't go belly up before they even get rolling.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links