Any K9 Team Officers here?

This is a discussion on Any K9 Team Officers here? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi all... The thread about the ride-along got me thinking. I know our local PD does do ride-alongs, but I don't know about the K9 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any K9 Team Officers here?

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar

Any K9 Team Officers here?

Hi all...
    The thread about the ride-along got me thinking. I know our local PD does do ride-alongs, but I don't know about the K9 units.

I train dogs for rescue, and do behvioral evaluations and consults for 4 rescues here...my Dane is a therapy dog - I am his handler and have trained him myself, and my Mastiff Mix should be certified/registered as well in the next few weeks, same situation. We're currently screening breeders and rescue for our 3rd dog, we're looking at a GSD and I was thinking I'd like to get into some SAR eventually, instead of therapy work with this one. I've been told I may be able to audit the training at Blackwater for the K9 units, but obviously I would have to do it solo...but I got very interested in the inner workings of the Police K9 teams.

Do any of you guys do ride-alongs? And if your department did, please answer this honestly -- is it kind of a pain in the butt and you really don't want to be "babysitting," or would you welcome the opportunity to share a little with someone like me?

I think I'll wait to see what you guys say before I go bothering local PD :) Thanks for letting me bother you first!

--Bunny
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    I used to do equine SAR in WI. It's a lot more laidback ride-along but the airconditioning leaves a bit to be desired.

We had dog teams that would practice with us but I'm not sure how they went about starting their training.

Sorry, I just wanted to feel important... :)
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Senior Moderator
    Do any of you guys do ride-alongs? And if your department did, please answer this honestly -- is it kind of a pain in the butt and you really don't want to be "babysitting," or would you welcome the opportunity to share a little with someone like me?
    I do ride alongs and I really dont mind them.

With that being said, some guys absolutley hate them. Since they feel that way, I dont think that they should have to take one if they dont want to.

The thing is, everyone has an opinion on them and they run the full spectrum from love to hate. Some depts. dont allow them, others do. For those that do, its really an individual thing.

The best thing you can do is ask and make sure that whoever you want to ride along with is OK with it. If you dont know that, ask.

It'll be much better for the both of you...

edited to add...

Just about all of the K-9 'ers around here dont do ride alongs because it tends to distract the dog, they dont even let other officers ride.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

edited to add...

Just about all of the K-9 'ers around here dont do ride alongs because it tends to distract the dog, they dont even let other officers ride.
    That's what I was afraid of. I know they're very handler-focused for sure. But then I was thinking that the ones around here have the dogs in the back seat. Do ride alongs go up front? It seems like a bad idea to have them in the back with the dog for a host of reasons. But also, I donated a crate to a nearby county's K9 team, so if they keep them in a crate I guess it would be safe...

The other thing is that the high-drive working K9s should be focused solely on their handlers and trained to ignore distractions, as I understand it. And if properly introduced to the dog, the dog would see the rider-alonger (shut up, it's a word! I made it up. Just now. ) as accepted by their Alpha (handler) and it shouldn't be an issue for them.

*sigh* Ok, maybe I'll just take a deep breath and call Captain K and see what he says. We have 2 K9 officers here. Maybe if when I bring the brownies to them this week they happen to be at the station, I can earn "brownie points?" Excuse the pun :) What do you think?

(Yes, they accept baked goods from people they know. I bring in "thank you" sweets from time to time for them since the dog incident in March.)

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)

www.vanguardnc.com

Senior Moderator
    "Ride alongs" always ride in the front. I have never heard or seen anything different.

There are people that ride along in the back seat, but they are usually wearing matching bracelets that lock and it really aint that much fun.

Dont know the policy of the K Niners there but it can't hurt to ask. Who knows? You may get lucky and they might let you ride with them.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

I used to work a K-9 before being promoted out of it. We never did K-9 ride alongs due to the high level of county-wide Code 3 responses and the administrations concern over liability. I hope you get to ride with a local K-9, as it's easily the best job in LE and a great experience for you (once you get used to the smell of the car)!
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post
    it's easily the best job in LE and a great experience for you (once you get used to the smell of the car)!

Years ago my partner and I spent one night (working) riding with a USSS Uniform Division K9. I don't know what the dogs handler let him eat that day, but to make the story short it was January in DC and we rode all night with the vehicle windows OPEN!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

It's not just what they eat, but the general working dog "funk" that permeates everything. Still worth it, though.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Administrator
    No, risks tend to be a little to high to have all the distractions of a ride long. You might be able to get a non patrol K9 ride along though, such as a drug interdiction unit.
    "Just blame Sixto"

A little OT but I remember a station wagon,a Bird Dog,and all the windows rolled down,she got excited when she was going hunting,probably the same for K9
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    HotGuns sez...

I do ride alongs and I really dont mind them.

This could be a serious moneymaker for the department... I'd pay a hundred bucks to ride with HotGuns...

"So, Officer... got any thoughts on the election...?"

"Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Quote Originally Posted by PointnClick View Post
    HotGuns sez...

This could be a serious moneymaker for the department... I'd pay a hundred bucks to ride with HotGuns...

"So, Officer... got any thoughts on the election...?"

Same here, I think it would be very entertaining! :)

Well, I had a meeting with the Captain today about cross-promoting the RAD classes with our CC classes/NRA 1st Steps classes (yeah, guess who's going to be on staff now as an instructor? Woo!) and asked about a K9 ride-along. I brought the whole PD some homemade fudge brownies and a pound of Kona Coffee to sweeten the request. Couldn't hurt, right? Captain is going to find out and get back to me soon, cross your fingers and paws please, I really hope I get to do it! :)

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)

www.vanguardnc.com

Senior Moderator
    Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

VIP Member
    Nice bunny...brownie points
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    "Ride alongs" always ride in the front. I have never heard or seen anything different.

There are people that ride along in the back seat, but they are usually wearing matching bracelets that lock and it really aint that much fun.

Dont know the policy of the K Niners there but it can't hurt to ask. Who knows? You may get lucky and they might let you ride with them.
    Well my sarge used to tell me rookies got to ride in the trunk,....... I think he was kidding.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links