Positive LEO story - For those that think all cops are pigs

This is a discussion on Positive LEO story - For those that think all cops are pigs within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I work at a small local gun/ammo/hunting supply shop here in North Florida. We host a "basic handgun safety" course offered to those who seek ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Positive LEO story - For those that think all cops are pigs

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar

I work at a small local gun/ammo/hunting supply shop here in North Florida. We host a "basic handgun safety" course offered to those who seek their concealed weapons license.

Our instructor, we will call him "Bob", is a very highly trained member of Tallahassee Police Department, member of their SWAT team, department armorer, firearms instructor/training instructor at Pat Thomas Law Enforcement Academy among other military accolades.

Bob dropped by today just checking in and told us of a situation this weekend where he charged a man with an open carry misdemeanor charge.

The man charged was a professional football player in town for the weekend. Our instructor was helping the department on extra duty and was either called too or was patrolling the area of this local "bar" with other officers.

One of the officers walked by the mans car and, through the glass, spotted two handguns, each simply stuffed between the seats and the center console. No holsters, not concealed with pistol butts up in the air for all to see. One, by the way, was a Kimber Pro Carry 1911.

The officers went inside to get the owner of the car, which happened to be an expensive Bently, and brought him outside to explain the handguns. The man had a legal concealed weapons license for Florida, but, Florida statutes say the handgun must be securely encased and not ready for immediate use.

Bob assured the man that he could make one phone call to the Department of Agriculture and have the mans weapons license suspended. He did not.

The other officers wanted to take the weapons and put them in the mans trunk and not allow him to have them until he left the parking lot.

Bob stopped them and told them that would be against this mans 2A rights.

Instead of arrest, Bob issued a misdemeanor open carry citation, which I think is a $25 fine, and allowed the man to rearm correctly and conceal his weapons.

I think this was well handled.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I would have thrown the book at him, how irresponsible is that having 2 weapons in the front seat up for grabs for all and sundry.

People like this tool give careful law abiding CCW holders a bad name, and you wonder how criminals get their supply of weapons ?.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Some do & some don't Good seasoned LEO !
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Not bad. Big hand for LEO'S
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

I think the LEO handled it very professionally. I think he deserves the Andy Griffith award. Seriously
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I like common sense and fairness in anyone's decision making...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I think the Officer was fair,I think the handgun owner was irresponsible and had anybody been looking to breakin to cars two more guns would of been on the street
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heylin View Post
    I would have thrown the book at him, how irresponsible is that having 2 weapons in the front seat up for grabs for all and sundry.

People like this tool give careful law abiding CCW holders a bad name, and you wonder how criminals get their supply of weapons ?.
    I also see that you are from New Zealand. We try to do things differently in America. We are actually allowed carry guns. I am not sure about the laws in New Zealand on carry.

He just happened to not carry them according to the law, however, it was a minor infraction not worthy of full enforcement. It would have been an infringement upon his 2nd Amendment rights to do much more of anything to him for this infraction regardless of its possible consequences.

Sure, someone could have seen the guns and busted out his windows to get them and that was "Bob's" major problem with this situation. Still, he was licensed and was not high or drunk nor was he causing a disturbance to anyone.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    good job for the LEO
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Quote Originally Posted by heylin View Post

I don't think I would have thrown the book at him but I really hope the officer read him the riot act about the stupidity of leaving guns in his car visible to potential bad guys.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Nice level head LEO, too bad the world doesn't have more folks like him that use common sense in situations like this....

What we don't know is the attitude of the offender. If the guy was humble and teachable, that could have led the LEO to slide towards grace. Had the guy been a jerk, no doubt the situation would have gone down differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    The officers went inside to get the owner of the car, which happened to be an expensive Bently, and brought him outside to explain the handguns. The man had a legal concealed weapons license for Florida, but, Florida statutes say the handgun must be securely encased and not ready for immediate use.
    I don't think it was well handled...but then again...I'm a Virginian. Was it foolish/stupid/dangerous to leave them out in the open...ABSOLUTELY...

Though, please point me to the legislation that says someone with a Permit is required to have the handgun securely encased and not ready for immediate use if it's in a vehicle and the owner is not...I searched and couldnt find them.

This one doesn't seem to cover it. It specifcally says "WITHOUT A LICENSE"....
    790.25 Lawful Ownership, Possession, and Use of Firearms and Other Weapons
    (5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.--Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not
    a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon
    for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the
    firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use.

Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private
    conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed
    to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be
    liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons,
    including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.
    790.001 Definitions.--As used in this chapter, except where the context otherwise requires:
    (17) "Securely encased" means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a
    gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid
    or cover to be opened for access
    Hmm...this one doesn't work. He wasn't carry it, by yours and the officers admission...it was in the car... So he wasn't open carrying...
    790.053 Open carrying of weapons.--

(1) Except as otherwise provided by law and in subsection (2), it is unlawful for any person to openly carry on or about his or her person any firearm or electric weapon or device.

(2) A person may openly carry, for purposes of lawful self-defense:

(a) A self-defense chemical spray.

(b) A nonlethal stun gun or dart-firing stun gun or other nonlethal electric weapon or device that is designed solely for defensive purposes.

(3) Any person violating this section commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
    It doesn't seem to be in 790.01 or 790.06 either...
    Then again...That's why I'm not a lawyer...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Football players have been getting good treatment since high school. I wonder if the man wasnt a celebrity would he have gone to jail

That was nice of the officer to point out his mistake and get it fixed up before the guy had to file a police report for his missing property.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links