Defensive Carry banner

my first traffic stop with a CHL

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  ccman 
#1 ·
I made my first traffic stop on a guy with a Texas CHL yesterday.
He was speeding, not horribly bad, but speeding nonetheless.
I get to the window and he had left his DL at home, had his insurance, and as I was preparing my notepad to write down his info, he says 'oh, I've got my gun permit if you want to see that'.
I say yes, and ask him if he has his gun with him to which he replies no.
I ask him jokingly, why not?:smile: and he says I just don't carry it all the time.
Our Texas CHLs have the DL# on it so I take it to the car and run everything thing, all checks out good (our computers do not show anything about a person's CHL status by the way).
I get back to the car with his warning for the speed and not having his DL on his person. We talk guns for a minute and he's on his way.

I think the new design of our DL/CHL look like fakes, I gotta get used to them.

#2 ·
I hope you talked some sense into him about how worthless a CHL is if his gun is sitting at home while he's being forcibly "dated" by the deliverance family.And the fact he is required by law to show his CHL whether armed or not in Tx,

#5 ·
And the fact he is required by law to show his CHL whether armed or not in Tx,
wrong, that is incorrect, if a person does not have the handgun on/about their person they do not have to show the CHL

Texas Government Code
Sec. 411.205. DISPLAYING LICENSE; PENALTY. (a) If a license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder's person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall display both the license holder's driver's license or identification certificate issued by the department and the license holder's handgun license.

thats why I asked the guy if he had his gun with him

#4 ·
thats why I asked him the "why not?"
I did say more but edited my post for brevity

#8 ·
haha, neat. Interesting to hear about a smooth stop from the other side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.