Visit to American Cemetery Normandy France

This is a discussion on Visit to American Cemetery Normandy France within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Guys (and now Gals!) I just wanted to say a few words about my visit last week to the American Cemetery in Normandy. As a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visit to American Cemetery Normandy France

Guys (and now Gals!)

I just wanted to say a few words about my visit last week to the American Cemetery in Normandy.
    As a Brit, the Normandy Beaches (Omaha, Utah, Gold, Juno Sword) are not that far away (as the crow filies about 140 miles from my house in southern England)

We have visited the US Cemetery overlooking Omaha beach many times, always moved to tears by the young age on the head stones, and the flowers, cards on the graves.

This time (last thursday) there was a group of visiting American High School children, being curious and keen to hear a guided tour, I "attached" myself to their group.
    What followed made me realise the distance our country has to go to catch up with the US.

The guide explained that she needed 4 students to place flowers on the memorial, 4 students stepped forward.
    Next she explained that the US National Anthem would be played and would they all turn towards the flag, then the students would place the flowers on the memorial, followed my a minutes silence.

When the anthem came on, all students turned towards the flag (no chatting no teachers telling students off etc)
    I'm not American but I stood too as well !!
    Pretty disgusted with the other nationals around who did not stand up (come on people respect others....Please)

The rest of the ceromony was faultless.

My point is that there is no way a UK school would have done anything like this at the many UK cemeteries spread across France, we just don't have same belief in our country anymore.

I mentioned my experiance to a couple of "friends" in the UK, the answer I got back was "Oh yeah they just all brain washed"

Well if that is brain washing , you just carry on !!! It is building citizens you can be very proud of, not the mulitcultral mess we have been building for the last 40 years.

I also visited Ste Mere Eglise (first town liberated by 82nd Airborne D-Day)
    Mortain, Hill 314 (30 div Old Hickory)
    If anybody wants pictures of these sites, I will be happy to send what I have on.

Tint Bob (UK)

Thanks for the post. Can you post some of the pics here?

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Unfortunately we probably aren't very far behind you guy's. Our government no longer has its citizens best interrests in mind. Our "muli-culturism" and all other ism's is making the US a place not so pleasant to live.

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    Unfortunately we probably aren't very far behind you guy's. Our government no longer has its citizens best interrests in mind. Our "muli-culturism" and all other ism's is making the US a place not so pleasant to live.
    I agree, we are to PC and getting away from the "US Attitude" to the "ME Attitude"
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Quote Originally Posted by mi2az View Post
    I agree, we are to PC and getting away from the "US Attitude" to the "ME Attitude"
    Sad but true.

Thank you for your post Tint Bob and thank you for visiting out fallen.
    I hope to make that trip someday myself.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    Thanks for the post. Can you post some of the pics here?
    here we go 3 shots of the Cemetery Omaha Beach
    Attached Images

More Pictures of France
    Attached Images

Visiting Normandy

On a side note.... If any of you do make the leap across the pond to the UK and France, I would say any American visiting Normandy will be well received..... The Normans do remember 1944 even though it was 65 years ago!!!!

Tint Bob

I need to make it over to Espinal, France to see my Uncle's final resting place. KIA: 11-Feb-45 142nd Infantry Regiment, 36th Infantry Division.

Thank you for posting the pics and for paying your respects to our fallen. They really are "The Greatest Generation".

Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; July 21st, 2009 at 08:19 PM. Reason: typo

I toured the Normandy area about 13 years ago. I still get goosebumps when I think about my visit to the American Cemetery above Omaha Beach. It was a highlight of my life. The site is one of the most solemnly beautiful places I have ever experienced ... to stand on that bluff looking out over the Channel, with the on shore breeze ruffling and snapping the flags and sighing through the pine trees ... awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by thedogfather View Post
    I toured the Normandy area about 13 years ago. I still get goosebumps when I think about my visit to the American Cemetery above Omaha Beach. It was a highlight of my life. The site is one of the most solemnly beautiful places I have ever experienced ... to stand on that bluff looking out over the Channel, with the on shore breeze ruffling and snapping the flags and sighing through the pine trees ... awesome.

In contrast we also visited the German Cemetery near St Michaels Mont........ I'm not going to say anymore in case I upset people but............ It felt cold.... No graves just a hugh circlular vault with the remains of 12000 germans. Constructed in 1963 it just looks typical 60's style building. Amazing view of Mont St Michael from the top....

Tint Bob
    Last edited by Tint Bob; July 22nd, 2009 at 05:37 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tint Bob View Post

My point is that there is no way a UK school would have done anything like this at the many UK cemeteries spread across France, we just don't have same belief in our country anymore.
    The winds of change are destroying the memories of history as well as current ideology. You are being assimilated.

Those kids were marginally better behaved than the typical domestic variety we have here. Still, we know patriotism, even if it isn't taught in school. Thank God for two big oceans.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

People seem to forget that never has a threat or some law whether local or international stopped a conflict,only armed men and women willing to do whats right has ever had an impact,except for all the nations that came together to stop germany we would all be speaking german and shouting sieg heil,there would be no racism,as hitlers master plan would have wiped out any non pure stock.And the only way to continue to stop any threat is by allowing people the right to defend themselves
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

the answer I got back was "Oh yeah they just all brain washed"
    Do they not realize that if it weren't for the American Servicemen buried there the odds they would be speaking German would have been much greater?

Unfortunately we are also forgetting our own history year by year and as stated before our Govt. no longer is as concerned with the American populace, yet more concerned with its own self preservation.

Thank you for the post and pics, and know that if I ever make it over there for holiday I'll be sure to show respect when the UK National Anthem is played.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by Tint Bob View Post
    Guys (and now Gals!)

I just wanted to say a few words about my visit last week to the American Cemetery in Normandy.
    As a Brit, the Normandy Beaches (Omaha, Utah, Gold, Juno Sword) are not that far away (as the crow filies about 140 miles from my house in southern England)

We have visited the US Cemetery overlooking Omaha beach many times, always moved to tears by the young age on the head stones, and the flowers, cards on the graves.

This time (last thursday) there was a group of visiting American High School children, being curious and keen to hear a guided tour, I "attached" myself to their group.
    What followed made me realise the distance our country has to go to catch up with the US.

The guide explained that she needed 4 students to place flowers on the memorial, 4 students stepped forward.
    Next she explained that the US National Anthem would be played and would they all turn towards the flag, then the students would place the flowers on the memorial, followed my a minutes silence.

When the anthem came on, all students turned towards the flag (no chatting no teachers telling students off etc)
    I'm not American but I stood too as well !!
    Pretty disgusted with the other nationals around who did not stand up (come on people respect others....Please)

The rest of the ceromony was faultless.

I mentioned my experiance to a couple of "friends" in the UK, the answer I got back was "Oh yeah they just all brain washed"

Well if that is brain washing , you just carry on !!! It is building citizens you can be very proud of, not the mulitcultral mess we have been building for the last 40 years.

I also visited Ste Mere Eglise (first town liberated by 82nd Airborne D-Day)
    Mortain, Hill 314 (30 div Old Hickory)
    If anybody wants pictures of these sites, I will be happy to send what I have on.

Tint Bob (UK)
    Thank you for taking the time to visit the graves of our war dead. So many have forgotten the sacrifices that so many Americans, Brits and others have made to give us the gift of freedom.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links