I goofed in SWAT school

This is a discussion on I goofed in SWAT school within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, it happened. I goofed. We were working on room clearing, entry in particular. We were doing live fire all day, then went to simunitions ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I goofed in SWAT school

Administrator

I goofed in SWAT school

Well, it happened. I goofed.

We were working on room clearing, entry in particular. We were doing live fire all day, then went to simunitions and a real building in the afternoon.

I don't know why, but I had my head somewhere it doesnt belong. I walked right into the ambush the other instructors had set up for me and my team.
    I went in the door, shot one BG twice, 2nd BG hit me twice on my unprotected left arm. I turned "killed" him and the rest of my team got the other BG's. Neither of my hits were vital, but dang do they hurt. I take pride in the fact I've never been "shot" in a SWAT class, when most everybody gets it a few times. I guess I cant claim that anymore. LOL.

So anyway, I learned a few things. My head needs to be in the game, no matter how tired and burnt out I am. Two, the tell you to wear long sleeves and protective gear for a reason. I got two good slashes and welts to show for my mistake. I waited far to long in the doorway, and failed to clear what I could prior to entering.
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

At least it was training and not real life.

I bet you won't do that again.

Are you gonna post pics of the wounds?
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Look on the bright side, you learned a lot from it and probably won't make the mistake again.

Thank god it happened there and not on a real call....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Administrator
    Yup, thats what its all about. It really was a tough senario, the guys who set up the ambush are very skilled, and knew exactly what they were doing. Somebody was going to get shot, it just happened to be me. There was a few things I could have done different, I could have used a few more tools, I could have used a different entry tactic... hind sight is always 20/20.

Bottom line is, I was calling the shots for my team so I screwed it up. I went full throttle into a situation that should have been handled with a little more care.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Good saying we use in training that I'm sure you've heard before

"The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in battle."

Best of luck

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    I got hit with 6 simunition rounds at once, got lit up like an xmas tree, and while there was no lesson for me to learn (I was a hostage whose script was to go running crazy at the police officers) if there had been I wouldn't have forgot it because those darn things hurttttttt.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Sixto, thanks for sharing your experience. It's a lesson we can all learn from. I started to say, it never hurts to get a refresher, but, from your perspective, I guess it did hurt a bit!

Thanks for being on the job and bringing us your valuable insights.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Quote Originally Posted by Dal1Celt View Post
    At least it was training and not real life.

I bet you won't do that again.

Are you gonna post pics of the wounds?

A Paul Blart bandaid should take care of it.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

At least you made the mistake and learned in training. Like I figured while studying for the CPA exam, if I missed a question while studying, I wasn't as likely to miss it on the real exam. Kinda goofy analogy I know...but hey, it's all I got.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Those sim rounds hurt, but usually only after the adrenaline stops running. Fortunately for me they were merely flesh wounds, LOL. It makes you want to be better so you don't get shot, that's for sure.

I'm sure we're all glad it's not a dum-dum wound.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Senior Moderator
    I take pride in the fact I've never been "shot" in a SWAT class, when most everybody gets it a few times.
    When you are playing the odds, its just a matter of time.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    When you are playing the odds, its just a matter of time.
    True enough. We host one a year, and I'll go to at least one school each year. Thats not including the monthly in house training. So it was only a matter of time.

My forearm and shouder are aching a bit. But its one of those good kind of hurt. It actually feels good.
    "Just blame Sixto"

If it makes you feel any better, once upon a time when I was just beginning to learn room clearing (only two man room clearing), my teammate decided to mouth off the the instructors, causing me to be hit somewhere between 20-30 times in under a minute (I learned some good lessons there though). Sim rounds are a great tool, good way to keep you from getting complacent.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I guess they didn't get the memo, all sim rounds must be directed at the head or the nads.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post
    I guess they didn't get the memo, all sim rounds must be directed at the head or the nads.
    There was plenty of that going around too. In the same senario where I got hit, both of my kills were head shots. I wasnt even really trying to, thats just where instinct sent 'em. Oh well.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links