How to talk yourself into a ticket...

This is a discussion on How to talk yourself into a ticket... within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is an event that happened to me last Friday night, I was working the night shift, 11pm to 7 am. It is a rant ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to talk yourself into a ticket...

Senior Moderator

This is an event that happened to me last Friday night, I was working the night shift, 11pm to 7 am. It is a rant of sorts, and and a small look at something that absolutely did not have to happen. Maybe this story will stick in someones brain and they will remember to keep their mouths shut the next time they are stopped by the police and the stop will go better for them. We can only hope...

Its after midnight in a small town and there just isn't a whole lot of traffic at that time. Mostly kids on the way home from their jobs flipping burgers or college kids coming home from a party. In the course of a night, one might see 75 cars on the road the whole shift.

Since we do have a major highway going through town, with a speed limit that drops from 55 to 45 to 35 to 25 in less than a mile, some people forget that they need to slow down and occasionally try to blow right on through.

So, I am sitting on the side of the road running radar. I'm in a dark spot and sitting in a small valley with a long line of sight. You wont see me until its too late, by the time you top the hill and figure out that I am there and you tap your brakes, I've already got a reading and you are pretty much busted.

Most people in this town know this, and speed enforcement is never really an issue. The word is out and the locals know not to press it.
    Me, being the nice guy that I am, is more prone to issue warnings than I am tickets. Just so you know, I don't generally issue tickets unless you are doing at least 10 over or have some other factors that weigh in.

I get a high tone, this one doing 67 in a 55. This guy passes a vehicle doing the speed limit in front of him and zings on by. I hit the lights do a U turn and I stop him.

Its a young straggly kid, 20 years old. I've see him blow though town on a couple of occasions while I was standing at the PDQ, knowing that he was probably going to fast but not really in a position to do anything about it. I knew that eventually the odds would catch up with him, and he met those odds tonight. Of course, I didn't know that until I stopped him.

So, in my most friendly face, I say, hello, I'm Officer Friendly from the Small Town Marshals office. I have stopped you for going 67 in a 55. He already has his DL, registration and proof of Insurance and he hands them to me.

How are you doing tonight ? I ask while checking out his stuff.

"Man...he says, I've had a bad day. "

I can relate to that. It happens. So I radio the Dispatcher with the particulars of the stop. Car tag looks good, valid insurance and I'm about to run his DL. Then he goes on a rant.

"This is a bogus stop dude. I ought to be able to go 80 MPH on this blankety-blank road without any problem".

"The speed limit is 55" I said, "but you already knew that right"?

"Yeah so. I ain't endangering anybody."

I stand there, thinking about the 5 deer that just crossed the road not five minutes ago right about where I got him on Radar. I' also thinking of what the other guy thought when he was doing the speed limit and Mr. Straggly passed him.

"We do have a lot of deer moving tonight" I said." It would be ugly if you hit one going that speed."

"I've lived here all of my life and I ain't never hit a blankety-blank deer. Man, this is a bunch of blankety-blank crap. Why ain't you out fighting crime or doing something important ? All I wanna do is get home dude." he says with a hint of attitude.

I ask him to hold on for a few minutes and I walk back to the car. I run his DL and it comes back clean. Normally in a situation like this, I'll just give a warning.

I'm a pretty patient guy and I've heard all of the normal excuses and some that were pretty unique.What I will not tolerate is foul or abusive language. You don't get any from me, and I don't expect to get any from you. No, I don't expect anyone to be happy when they get a ticket and normally I don't walk up to a car expecting to give a ticket for something minor, but I will let you talk me into it.

I pull out the ticket book and start writing. I fill it all in except for the "employment and phone no" box. I walk back to the car and ask where he works. Come to find out, he's the manager for the local Sonic, a place that I frequent quite often. He's closed the store and is getting home a bit late...later now that I've stopped him.

I'm thinking to myself this is just great, from here on out I'm going to have to walk in, and WATCH them fix my food to insure that I don't get anything extra that I didn't order. Its not that I don't trust them, its just that I don't trust him.

So he signs the ticket and I give him my canned statement of how signing is not an admission of guilt, it is just an acknowledgment of the court date that you must attend if you choose not to pay it.

"Yeah Dude, you better believe I'll be there" he says.

"O.K." I say. "Have a good night and be careful."

He puts his seat belt on and takes off. About 50 yards down the road, he flashes me the famous one finger salute. I figure that he thought I couldn't see it, but my blue lights were on as well as my spotlight. I guess it made him feel better.

I walk back to the car shaking my head and wondering why some people think that cussing a cop will make them reconsider and give them a warning. I wonder if the straggly hair dude that looked like a punk had any idea that if he would have just kept his mouth shut, I would have been perfectly content to give him a warning that wouldn't have cost him half of his next paycheck.

Apparently he wasn't smart enough to figure any of that out. Now he's about to tell all of his friends about the sorry cop that gave him a ticket for no reason other than just because he was going a few miles over the limit .They'll agree with him and engage in a cop bashing discussion for some time and they'll all be convinced that all we do is give innocent people speeding tickets. He'll probably tell them what he said and how bad he was when he said it and how I just stood there and took it without saying much and I'm sure he'll brag about the fact that he flipped me off.

As he left, I thought about the old proverb that says...

It is better to be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    I've learned a few lessons in the small amount of years I've been on the road.

1) Always be honest, police tend to like that.
    2) Always be respectful, they tend to like that too.
    3) NEVER, EVER say anything that would aggravate the officer. Like you said HotGuns, you would have been perfectly ok giving him a warning until he started to curse at you.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    I hate idiots like that i am not a leo but i respect all of them no matter what. thats how i think i got out of a lot of tickets.
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I have always believed this,the side of the road is not the place to debate with the cops. Sign the ticket and either pay if you were guilty of an offense,or take the matter to court. My old buddy, that was a firefighter for years,told me he saw a multitude of people arrested ( he often drove the med. unit) that were in no way involved in the accident/crime scene. He said,for example,a shooting at an apartment complex. You could count on a crowd of people gathering just to lurk. Eventually one or more would run their mouth until they were arrested for obstruction or something of that nature. Some people are their own worst enemies.

HG,

I've NEVER gotten a ticket I didn't deserve.
    I must be living in the right places.

I have received warnings or been let off when I didn't deserve it.
    Can't complain much about those.
    Of course, I also don't bring up questions about the paternity of the officer, mental state, or items of similar nature.

I'm sure that had NOTHING to do with the times I didn't receive a deserved-ticket.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I've not gotten many tickets, but I have been stopped a few times in a dozen years. It is smart to be honest and polite.

It's also what I expect from high school students...but don't call me 'dude'. I have even redirected (with my unhappy face) to a few, that "It's Mr. Dude to you." Other students get a laugh, but they get the message.

Stay armed...It is better to be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt. I agree...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

He's got some learnin' to do. The sooner the better, for his own sake.

You just helped him along the way.

P.S. Yeh, I'd probably avoid Sonic for awhile, too.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    You can't fix stupid.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Administrator
    When bored, I actually seek out people like that. Gives me something to do.
    "Just blame Sixto"

jfl
    Give respect, and you'll get respect, most of the time.
    Living in Florida, I do not have to disclose, but I always do it. I usually say: " I am not required o tell you that, but out of courtesy and respect, I am informing you that I have a CCW and my Glock is on my right hip; what do you want me to do ? "
    The officer has always thanked me for the information and the stop went smoothly.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

hbc
    Incidents like you've described are part of the reason why I have so much respect and appreciation for LEOs. Having to deal with attitudes like this on a regular basis would be unbearable for most people.

I am a probation officer and it makes my blood curdle to hear a kid or an adult be disrespectful to a LEO. Makes me want to physically thrash them. I am what i consider quasi-LEO, and have a family full of actual cops. I am friends with chiefs of police , and sheriffs, head of divisions and what not all because I have been respectful and of assistance during my career to them. I am on a first name basis with almost all of them but I still speak to them with respect and refer to them by their title....especially in front of civilians. He will get his...soon enough. Too bad though their Cherry Limeades rock....
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Just had a conversation with a few LEO's today about just this subject. I always pull over as soon as I'm lit up - never make the cop chase you for 5 miles; you know you did it. Pull over as far as possible so s/he can get away from traffic. Turn the dome light on. cut engine. Have your papers. Hands in plain sight. Yes/no sir/ma'am/officer/deputy. No BS'in like "what's the problem, officer?" (like I used to do).

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Just had a conversation with a few LEO's today about just this subject. I always pull over as soon as I'm lit up - never make the cop chase you for 5 miles; you know you did it. Pull over as far as possible so s/he can get away from traffic. Turn the dome light on. cut engine. Have your papers. Hands in plain sight. Yes/no sir/ma'am/officer/deputy. No BS'in like "what's the problem, officer?" (like I used to do).
    Agree wholeheartedly if I am stopped I want to make it as uninteresting and boring as possible.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    A long time ago, I wasn't paying attention and was doing 70 or so in a 40. I met the cop on the four lane, looked down at my speedometer, and went ahead and pulled over before he even started to cross the median. I had all the docs ready, acknowledged my mistake, and apologized. He let me go with a verbal warning. Still, I am incredibly grateful.

We get an occasional idiot through the checkpoint. I've never been on point for one, but some of the guys will finish the inspection and then "forget" to tell them that they are free to go (which we are not required to do) and just keep asking random questions until they get ticked. Then you go "oh, you can go." Some days I wish we could issue tickets.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links