When the music stopped.....(I hope this is true)

This is a discussion on When the music stopped.....(I hope this is true) within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; First of all, I hope I'm starting this thread in the right place, move it if necessary. Secondly, I couldn't find any mention of this ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When the music stopped.....(I hope this is true)

VIP Member

When the music stopped.....(I hope this is true)

First of all, I hope I'm starting this thread in the right place, move it if necessary. Secondly, I couldn't find any mention of this on Snopes (not that they're right all the time) and third, I did a keyword search here on DC and didn't find anything. I got this in an email from a friend of mine.

For those who are unaware, at a military theater, the National Anthem is played before every movie.

This is written from a Chaplain in Iraq :

I recently attended a showing of 'Superman 3' here at LSA Anaconda. We have a large auditorium we use for movies, as well as memorial services and other large gatherings. As is the custom back in the States, we stood and snapped to attention when the National Anthem began before the main feature. All was going as planned until about three-quarters of the way through The National Anthem the music stopped.

Now, what would happen if this occurred with 1,000 18-22 year-olds back in the States? I imagine there would be hoots, catcalls, laughter, a few rude comments; and everyone would sit down and call for a movie. Of course, that is, if they had stood for the National Anthem in the first place.

Here, the 1,000 Soldiers continued to stand at attention, eyes fixed forward. The music started again. The Soldiers continued to quietly stand at attention. And again, at the same point, the music stopped. What would you expect to happen? Even here I would imagine laughter, as everyone finally sat down and expected the movie to start.

But here, you could have heard a pin drop. Every Soldier continued to stand at attention. Suddenly there was a lone voice, then a dozen, and quickly the room was filled with the voices of a thousand soldiers, finishing where the recording left off:

"And the rockets red glare, the bombs bursting in air, gave proof through the night that our flag was still there. Oh, say does that Star Spangled Banner yet wave, o'er the land of the free, and the home of the brave."

It was the most inspiring moment I have had here in Iraq . I wanted you to know what kind of Soldiers are serving you here. Remember them as they fight for you!

Pass this along as a reminder to others to be ever in prayer for all our soldiers serving us here at home and abroad. For many have already paid the ultimate price..

Written by Chaplain Jim Higgins
    LSA Anaconda is at the Ballad Airport in Iraq, north of Baghdad.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

2. Remove Ads

RMS
    "...for they were all mighty men of valour..."

If this story ain't true, it oughta be.

Lord please watch over our soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines and help them to come home safely with a completed mission.

Biker

VIP Member
    +1 Biker, if it isn't true it should be.

God bless and protect all our men and women in uniform.

Thumbs up

NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Senior Member Array 2ndsupporter's Avatar
    God bless America and our soldiers that defend our freedom and risk everything for you and I!!!!!
    [One Nation Under God]

"You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    +1000 Biker. I sure hope it is true. Quite inspiring, even to those who didn't serve. BTW I may not have said it recently but to all those who have served and are still serving, God bless you all!

That is what makes this country and our VOLUNTEER military great. May God bless every one of them.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

jbs
    Happened once in the theater at Osan. Same thing, we finished the song.
    If I need to oil a gun, I go to the beach.
    8040 Couger, P95
    1929 MN 91/30, 1927/28 MN Ex Dragoon, MN M44's, Lots of MN's
    Swiss LG1911 1915 and 1916
    Brazilian VZ-24 JC (2), Brazilian Model 1908
    Spanish M1916

Amen Biker
    We live in a society where pizza gets to your house before the police

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    That is beautiful, and I sincerely hope every word of it is true.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Had I experienced that, it would have brought chills to my spine, adrenaline and resolve to my entire body, and tears to my eyes.

Salute.

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    I'm one of those that always had neck hair crawling during the anthem at quarters. I think most of us did. I still get the "feeling" when I hear the anthem today. I remember the drill fields, camps, shipyards, and headquarters where we stood together for the anthem.

In those days, the base theater started movies with a shot of the American flag flying before the anthem started(Yeah, our movies had sound). No announcement to please stand or anything. We just stood automatically when the flag came on screen. It is probably the same today.

Thirty years or so ago, I went to a movie in a Japanese town with my local girl. In this crowded Japanese theater, the American flag came on screen at the beginning of "Patton." I jumped to attention automatically. Oops! The place went still and I realized all the Japanese were staring at me. Then the "feeling" came over me and I stuck my chest out as far as I could and stayed up until the flag was off the screen and George C Scott was done with his opening. It is still one of my favorite memories. My girl looked at me with the most intent expression when I sat down. Then she relaxed and all was good. Very good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links