Etiquette question

Etiquette question

This is a discussion on Etiquette question within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This week we will be scheduling my K9 ride-along. (I don't know when it will be yet, just that this is the week to synchronize ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Etiquette question

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar

Etiquette question

This week we will be scheduling my K9 ride-along. (I don't know when it will be yet, just that this is the week to synchronize the calendars.) In true Southern fashion, I don't like to go anywhere without a gift. Our local PD has a policy about food, they don't accept baked goods unless they know someone, and I bring them cakes and brownies and Hawaiian Kona coffee on occasion to say "thanks for keeping our town so pleasant."

Is it appropriate to bring a "thanks for letting me ride along" gift? Something like home-made brownies and some coffee for everyone at the station? I don't think there will be an issue, since the Captain over there knows me from the FOP lodge, I'm not some crazy poisoner or anything.

Or is it weird and would make folks uncomfortable? I was planning on just bringing like a homemade plate of treats on the day I do the actual ride along. Also, is it out of turn to bring a bag of dog treats to give the K9 Officer for his dog? (I wouldn't expect to personally be able to give the dog treats, just thought it would be a nice gesture.)

I feel like if I don't bring something, it would be rude...what do you guys think? Is it polite, or just weird?
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

You know I'm not LEO , but food is always a good thing.
    Just make sure it car friendly,IE EZ to handle.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Absolutely not appropriate!

Instead, send them to 450 Lee Av...

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Any baked goods must first be tested by Guineapigalmighty,send to Edinburg Tx I will track em down,As long as they trust your cooking then one things cops do is eat.....Ya could bring a bag of Donuts lol
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator
    I know its not as personal, but get some store bought items to bring in. Or offer to buy the officer his lunch/dinner.

As for the K9, no doggy treats. More often than not, working dogs will not want the treats and it will cause havoc in a dogs stomach who isnt used to such things. If you really want to make friends with the dog, bring a Kong or a sleeve of tennis balls.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Weird is showing up in a tube top with coffee and cake. Polite is just bringing the coffee & cake. ;)

the Best jesture is to buy the officer's lunch.

1) unless they know you really well, taking food is not a good idea.
    (when we were leo we didnt eat anything from outside)
    2) the doggie treats are not a good idea. and for the most part for the same reason as above.
    3) When i had a rider i didnt expect anything.. but when the rider offer to my lunch or dinner.. i let them...

I agree with sixto...... Offer to buy the officer's lunch.
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by jjkjr View Post
    the Best jesture is to buy the officer's lunch.

1) unless they know you really well, taking food is not a good idea.
    (when we were leo we didnt eat anything from outside)
    2) the doggie treats are not a good idea. and for the most part for the same reason as above.
    3) When i had a rider i didnt expect anything.. but when the rider offer to my lunch or dinner.. i let them...

I agree with sixto...... Offer to buy the officer's lunch.
    Ditto: Offer to buy lunch/dinner
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    You might also consider some fresh fruit.......some cops....don't be shocked here........actually try to eat something besides donuts
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Any self respecting southern would never let a lady buy there lunch. Unless, the LEO is a female........
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I know its not as personal, but get some store bought items to bring in. Or offer to buy the officer his lunch/dinner.

As for the K9, no doggy treats. More often than not, working dogs will not want the treats and it will cause havoc in a dogs stomach who isnt used to such things. If you really want to make friends with the dog, bring a Kong or a sleeve of tennis balls.
    I didn't know that! Ok, check -- Kong for the K9.

Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    Weird is showing up in a tube top with coffee and cake. Polite is just bringing the coffee & cake. ;)
    That IS weird. Note to self: continue to dress modestly. :)

Ok, I will offer to buy the officer's meal. And bring in something for everyone at the station. I'm hearing that it's not weird, and it would be ok to do so, yes? Thanks guys!
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

You ARE southern. Around here the women my age who were raised in the country start planning to cook your supper if they bump into you at the mailbox. The key to tour question is whether or not they know you. Southerners have a tendency to be very hospitable to strangers up to a point. That point floats depending upon the person and folks in law enforcement tend to have a higher threshold. Once you're trusted past that point there isn't much you could bring that wouldn't be welcomed as just good ol' southern hospitality. I think that you already know the answer to this. Will you feel comfortable with what you're planning to take or do? If so my opinion is that you're good to go. If you're unsure wait until you feel a a little more secure about the decision.

Administrator
    Next time get them all a bottle of Gunzilla. They will really like that.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    If the Captain knows you why not call him and let him know what you're thinking about. Tell him its your way of just saying thanks for the opportunity and for their service to the community. While it may or may not be against policy he may be able to find a good compromise or maybe even bend the policy slightly. The idea about the Kong for the K9 is very good.

I called and spoke with the commanding officer and he says to send a plate of goodies to me first so I may make a final recommendation.

Always willin ta help
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links