LEO Questions

LEO Questions

This is a discussion on LEO Questions within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was it Wally World today and I happen to stumble on a LEO on the way out and I politely ask him if a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LEO Questions

LEO Questions

I was it Wally World today and I happen to stumble on a LEO on the way out and I politely ask him if a lot of people do OC around this area.
    Well his face told me he did not knew what i was talking about so I explained and the 1st thing was well tats not allowed unless you are LEO and I told him to look over the regs regarding Ga open carry.

Arent they suppose to teach this info the the LEO when they get hired by the Counties??
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

THere are 1,000 of laws

LEO training is limited, often they ignore such things as lawful carry.

It seems that Hill Street Blues, Law and Order or Magnum PI are the primary general knowledge of the average street cop. They are interested in traffic, domestic violence, public disturbance, race relations, and such minor things as lawful open carry or even concealed carry is not a prime subject of study.

Be polite and carry a copy of the law and relevant court cases.

+1. When I went through the academy in Macon earlier this year we did touch on lawful possession but only to cover unlawful possession so it's not something stressed in the overall curriculum.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Macklin View Post
    LEO training is limited, often they ignore such things as lawful carry..
    I don't think they should be able to carry a service weapon until they know all the laws pertaining to guns! I have a legal obligations to know the law, and doubt I will get a break if I make a honest mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Macklin View Post
    Be polite and carry a copy of the law and relevant court cases.
    So kiss butt and hope they won't be offended when you politely correct them on the law? It shouldn't be this way, citizens shouldn't have to fear the lack of LEO education or training!

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    We got taught that many people in our areas of operation carry guns and we can't enforce state laws regarding.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

They obviously don't teach enough... or the guys sitting in class are already day dreaming about all the Wyatt Erpp moments so they don't pay attention.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenSaber View Post
    They obviously don't teach enough... or the guys sitting in class are already day dreaming about all the Wyatt Erpp moments so they don't pay attention.
    Then perhaps you should go to your local academy and teach those instructors a thing or two, you know, tell them how to do their job. I'm sure they would appreciate your vast knowledge of all the state statutes and city ordinances since you would know every single one off the top of your head, and how to keep those recruits from day dreaming.

If ignorance on their part can result in an unlawful felony arrest of a citizen or drawing on a law abiding citizen, then maybe it should be part of the curriculum. Seems like that is more important than revenue generation through traffic tickets.

we we're taught in class to not really educate the officer but to go with the flow.
    that's why we have or should have lawyers with firearms/ccw expirance.
    depending on how you handle yourself or what might come out of you're mouth
    could really not be in your best interest at that moment.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

I was told that if engaged with an LEO regarding gun issues, completely comply with the LEO's commands and then ask for a supervisor to come to the scene. use your own judgement if it's a casual conversation.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Thanks I just want to make sure i don't get the royal treatment for OC when its legal here in Ga because the LEO is not up to date on the regs..
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

Quote Originally Posted by aimhigh View Post
    Thanks I just want to make sure i don't get the royal treatment for OC when its legal here in Ga because the LEO is not up to date on the regs..
    Even if the cop was not familiar with the open carry law in your area, I'm sure that if your were stopped for it he would be informed that it was legal when he called it in. Keep in mind, they have to investigate every "man with a gun" call regardless of the local rules on open carry.

Also, you stopping some random cop to ask a question you knew the answer to in order to set him up for a "lesson" is just plain ignorant. If open carry is legal, and you want to, then do it, it won't be long before you find out how common it is in that area.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Keep in mind that the laws ARE taught as part of peace officer training, but nobody but a cyborg with a computer for a brain is going to remember all of those laws. With open carry often very rare, even in some areas where it is legal, don't expect this aspect of the law to be emphasized during peace officer training.

As already indicated in previous post(s), stopping an LEO for a random quiz on the law is, as we say in the South, ignernt.

Posting this subject in this part of these forums is getting a bit close to trolling, in my opinion. Don't expect the LEOs reading this forum to learn anything from your post. We are not the ones who are uneducated regarding firearms law.
    Last edited by Rexster; August 5th, 2009 at 06:07 PM. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    I was told that if engaged with an LEO regarding gun issues, completely comply with the LEO's commands and then ask for a supervisor to come to the scene.
    When I had my bad experience with a LEO he was the supervisor. Do you think I should have requested that his Lt. come to the scene? How do you think that would have worked out for me? When I called the Trooper station to report my bad experience, they said I need to talk to the road patrol Sgt. I informed her that my bad experience was with a Sgt. I never got a call back from his Lt. I thought maybe the Sgt. had a bad day, but several other local LEO confirmed that he has issues.

Quote Originally Posted by aimhigh View Post
    All I have to say on this subject is if you OC, you better expect hell from LEO's, and let me explain why. When I went to the academy they did teach us that people could OC in my area, but if I see someone walking down the street with a gun in plain view and nothing designating him as a LEO, I'd be a ******* not to draw down on him and find out what he's up to. About a month ago myself and 3 other officers had to draw down on two guys in a pickup truck because they had MAC10 sitting on the back seat. Now it was perfectly legal, but that doesn't mean that a LEO won't draw down on you to keep himself and any innocent bystanders safe. I guess my whole point is that it's better to carry conealed than out in the open. Carrying concealed also keeps the bad guys from knowing who to shoot first.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links