AAR: the K-9 Ride-along

This is a discussion on AAR: the K-9 Ride-along within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Holy cow, it was nothing like I'd expected! First of all, I'd heard that LEOs have a dark sense of humor...I don't know if this ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AAR: the K-9 Ride-along

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar

AAR: the K-9 Ride-along

Holy cow, it was nothing like I'd expected!

First of all, I'd heard that LEOs have a dark sense of humor...I don't know if this particular squad was unusual or what, but by 1/2 way through roll call, I was laughing so hard my sides hurt and I was barely able to breathe! They just kept cutting up the whole night, too! I'm sure having a sense of humor makes a job like this much easier, but I swear they should have their own comedy show on late-night cable or something! They were just hysterical!

You guys gave great advice, thank you. The sandwiches were a hit (so was the fresh fruit) and they asked what I was bringing next time!

You were also right about the smell. WOW. I could stand the wet-working-dog odor, but this particular K9 (a very handsome and friendly Chocolate Lab) apparently ate some Mexican food before we left or something, because he expelled gas a LOT. Deadly, poison nerve gas, I think. It was hard to breathe and I'm pretty sure I lost consciousness a few times from the smell.

For a Saturday night with a Full Moon, I expected to see some weird stuff, or at the very least, we figured it would be a busy night. Especially because the officer I was with hangs out in the area of town known for a ton of drug use, and the K9 is strictly for drug detection. The dog ended up sniffing one car at the beginning of the shift, and that was it. So much for watching a lot of the handler/dog stuff...but still it turned out to be a fun night. My sides still hurt from laughing!

We got into a competition during roll call: the Captain, and two other officers (including the K9 unit) vs. the rest of the squad. Whoever brings in the most drugs at the end of the shift wins, and the losers have to buy ice cream for the winners. I think we won. I'm told I have to go back for milkshakes at a particular place, they're pretty famous up there.

They did one "knock and talk" that took a while. I had to sit in the car the whole time (obviously), which I didn't mind at all because it was after dark, in a VERY bad part of town. However, when the officer said "ok, I'll be back, don't let anyone get you." THAT was the scariest part -- I never would be in an area like that anyhow, especially after dark, and especially not carrying! But my gun was securely locked up in my car back at the station, and I was scared. If something did happen, all I had was a friendly Chocolate Lab for protection. I wish at the very least, I'd had some OC spray or something. Just for peace of mind while I sat there.

All in all though, definitely a very interesting night. I wish I'd been able to see more of the K9 actually working, but perhaps I'll go back again (the officer said I really should, since this was not a typical busy Saturday night). I got to play with the K9 at the end of the shift, which really made my night. He's so sweet! I brought his handler a stuffed squeaky duck for him that he absolutely loved, too. In fact, he got to use it at the first (and only) stop that night. After he sniffed the car and found the seeds, he got the duckie as a reward!
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    As always, well done Bunny!!

Ask if you can carry next time!!
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Sounds like quite an experience. I'm looking at doing some in my neck of the woods here soon (not necessarily a K9 unit). Thanks for sharing.
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

Yep my chocolate lab sometimes lets off a stinker that almost fumigates me.Yep having a sense of humour helps a lot
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator
    Labs do fart a lot.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    You were also right about the smell. WOW. I could stand the wet-working-dog odor, but this particular K9 (a very handsome and friendly Chocolate Lab) apparently ate some Mexican food before we left or something, because he expelled gas a LOT. Deadly, poison nerve gas, I think. It was hard to breathe and I'm pretty sure I lost consciousness a few times from the smell.

At least it wasn't January and below freezing last Saturday! We froze our butts, and he (German Shepherd), still stunk! Figured if we'd left the windows up we may not have lived through the shift!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Senior Moderator
    So Bunny...

are ya hooked?
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Good deal, glad you had a bunch of fun. Think it's funny that a police K9 now has a "duckie"

Rubber Duckie you’re the one,
    You make bathtime lots of fun,
    Rubber Duckie I’m awfully fond of you
    Vo-vo-dee-o!

Rubber Duckie, joy of joys,
    When I squeeze you, you make noise,
    Rubber Duckie you’re my very best friend it’s true

Oh, every day when I, make my way to the tubby
    I find a little fellow who’s cute and yellow and chubby!
    Rub-a-dub-dubby!

Rubber Duckie you’re so fine,
    And I’m lucky that you’re mine.
    Rubber Duckie, I’d love a whole pond of,
    Rubber Duckie, I’m awfully fond of you!

Oh, every day when I, make my way to the tubby
    I find a little fellow who’s cute and yellow and chubby!
    Rub-a-dub-dubby!

Rubber Duckie you’re so fine,
    And I’m lucky that you’re mine,
    Rubber Duckie I’m awfully fond of you!

in August of 1970 it made the Billboard Top 40 chart for pop/rock and stayed on for 7 weeks, peaking at number 16!

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    So Bunny...

are ya hooked?
    I'd love to go again, but honestly I think it would be mostly to hang out and watch the guys razz each other again. We can all do that at the range :) Plus Mr. Bunny is less than thrilled at the prospect of me ever doing another one. (I got home after 3am.)

It was a great experience though. Something I never thought I'd do, but if I can go watch the K-9s train at the range, it's also something I don't think I'll need to do again either.

Though I believe I still need to go collect that winning milkshake... lol.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)

www.vanguardnc.com

I asked about a ride along with the local SD but they don't do that anymore.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

Ride alongs can be a good time, especially with a good officer. I'm supposed to be doing one with my local pd next time I'm home on leave, and I'm looking forward to it.

If you develop a rapport with the officer you could ask about carrying, the worst they can do is say no.

An officer I did a ride along with pulled over a donut truck, that offered a bit of humor.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Ride alongs can be a good time, especially with a good officer. I'm supposed to be doing one with my local pd next time I'm home on leave, and I'm looking forward to it.

If you develop a rapport with the officer you could ask about carrying, the worst they can do is say no.

An officer I did a ride along with pulled over a donut truck, that offered a bit of humor.
    Hey, it was a slow night.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Hey, it was a slow night.
    And you were hungry I guess.

I was even trying to keep it anonymous so you could maintain some of your dignity, but whatever.

I'm gathering from this thread that when I want to do future ride alongs with P.D.'s I should avoid going with the K-9 unit, unless I had some Chipotle for dinner, and then I can just blame the dog all night.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

That sounds like my rottie! I swear i think the devil lives in her a$$! Glad you had fun. Ive also heard nurses have a weird sense of humor. The one i know certainly does. lol I like it though. She Cannot be offended.

We arrived at the scene of an accident - I don't know how much detail is ok for me to post - but basically the kid was majorly three sheets and then some, and he's hit two cars, ran OVER a stop sign, and ended up in a tree. He was not injured, don't worry. The front of the car was missing, and when we pulled up, there was something chunky all down the side of the driver's door.

Turns out it was vomit, but wait, this gets so much better! He apparently ate like 3 lbs of pork BBQ before drinking and driving. Had NO CLUE he was in an accident, right? Vomited all over the wheel and then I guess the airbag deployed so there was BBQ vomit everywhere. I mean EVERYWHERE. All over the kid, the outside of his door, throughout his vehicle, and then he literally filled the space between the driver and passenger seat. It smelled so bad when we pulled up, I was praying for Lab Farts.

I felt really bad for the officer who had to cuff him and check his pockets, you could almost hear the vomit squishing around when he had to reach in there and check for...I dunno what you guys check for...drugs? Weapons? Ugh. It was BAD.

Then we had to go to the hospital to fill out all the paperwork and get him to X-Ray, CT scan, and have his blood drawn. I feel bad for whomever had to transport, you could smell this kid down the hallway! And then he started getting real belligerent with the officers that were there, calling them all sorts of names and saying all kinds of things that you would say to start a barfight, you know? I had a newfound respect for the guys, they really maintained their cool and still acted 100% professional. But I get where the humor goes into overdrive with something like that. What else can you do? (I would have wanted to throw down if he said stuff like that to me. Especially after I'd had to touch vomit or search the pukemobile or something. Ew.)

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)

www.vanguardnc.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links