ATf agents inspecting Houston gun dealers

This is a discussion on ATf agents inspecting Houston gun dealers within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Extra agents press Houston gun checks Associated Press SAN ANTONIO ó A four-month manpower boost is helping U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATf agents inspecting Houston gun dealers

Extra agents press Houston gun checks
    Associated Press

SAN ANTONIO ó A four-month manpower boost is helping U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives inspect about 1,000 licensed gun dealers in and around Houston.

Acting ATF Director Kenneth Melson said Thursday in many dealers hadnít been inspected in six or seven years. Then, an extra 100 agents descended on Houston this spring to start clearing out backlogged work.

Dealers are required to maintain paperwork on guns they sell so the ATF can trace firearms used in crimes in the United States. and elsewhere. Melson said leads in gunrunning investigations quickly dry up if dealers donít keep proper paperwork, so ensuring compliance is important.

The ATF has increased its focus on gunrunning and aiding Mexican authorities as violence involving drug cartels has escalated.
    Sounds to me like the feds are going on fishing expeditions and won't stop with just Houston,I wonder how come they haven't checked some in over 7 years,if it's required by law then aren't they guilty of dereliction of duty
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    It is part of ATF's Gunrunner project.

ATF Online - Southwest Border Initiative - Project Gunrunner
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Sounds to me like the feds are going on fishing expeditions and won't stop with just Houston,I wonder how come they haven't checked some in over 7 years,if it's required by law then aren't they guilty of dereliction of duty
    Well, may be a catch-22 here. What would we rather they do? Sit in their cozy offices and collect nice wages from Joe taxpayer, or get out and work for a living? Granted it doesn't need to be in the form of harassment, but that's what happens when you stick a bee hive that's been more than happy collecting pollen and feeding off the honey. I think it's time to shave a bit off the top in this economy. Lessen the burden all around.

I wonder how come they haven't checked some in over 7 years,
    The answer is obvious if you read the article. It's because of a lack of manpower. That's why they have a temporary manpower boost that will last ONLY four months.

if it's required by law then aren't they guilty of dereliction of duty
    How can they be guilty of anything if they didn't have the manpower to even do this in the first place? It might be dereliction IF they had the manpower to do this operation and just delayed it for years. But the article says the have a FOUR MONTH manpower boost, in other words, they have the equivalent of temps coming in to do this, and FOUR MONTHS most likely means it's only a temporary thing.

Quote Originally Posted by LM2024 View Post
    The answer is obvious if you read the article. It's because of a lack of manpower. That's why they have a temporary manpower boost that will last ONLY four months.

How can they be guilty of anything if they didn't have the manpower to even do this in the first place? It might be dereliction IF they had the manpower to do this operation and just delayed it for years. But the article says the have a FOUR MONTH manpower boost, in other words, they have the equivalent of temps coming in to do this, and FOUR MONTHS most likely means it's only a temporary thing.
    I'm guessing the border patrol got a manpower boost as well? What are this nation's priorities anyway? Harassing the legal citizens needs to move on down the list wouldn't you say?

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I'm guessing the border patrol got a manpower boost as well? What are this nation's priorities anyway? Harassing the legal citizens needs to move on down the list wouldn't you say?
    You're asking me? I don't have any say in any manpower decisions whatsoever. Exactly how is the ATF doing their job constitute harassment? Aren't they SUPPOSED to be checking paperwork?

Would you rather have FFL dealers not keep any paperwork at all? This is no different than an officer asking a motorist to produce their drivers license, registration, and proof of insurance. That's paperwork the motorist is supposed to have on hand anyway.

BATFE normally checks licensed dealer on a regular basis. This is nothing new. IF you want to keep your license, you have to keep your paperwork in proper form. The same laws and inspections apply in non-border states. It is just a part of normal business.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Extra ATF Agents??

This is just like all the new COPS that will be flooding the streets of America in the next few months courtesy of the Guvement. They are paid for this year by the Guvment (mine and your taxes), but who pay's for them next business year?? Tax payers in the communities that cannot pay for them now......While the same agencies are doing layoffs, brownouts, and furloughs... What is wrong with this picture???
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Well, may be a catch-22 here. What would we rather they do? Sit in their cozy offices and collect nice wages from Joe taxpayer, or get out and work for a living? Granted it doesn't need to be in the form of harassment, but that's what happens when you stick a bee hive that's been more than happy collecting pollen and feeding off the honey. I think it's time to shave a bit off the top in this economy. Lessen the burden all around.
    Is that really a question? If so the answer is ...NOT HAVE A JOB AT ALL!
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Glad to see it. If they end up putting some shady dealers out of business that is fine with me. The record keeping requirements are not that big a deal to comply with, and they are a condition of having the license. If they can't do it right, they shouldn't do it at all. Back in Maryland I personally knew two licensed dealers. One got his license pulled because he was too lazy to keep his paperwork straight. No sympathy from me at all.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I understand that maybe some weren't receiving semi annual or annual inspections,but to have some go for 6 or 7 years without an inspection is BS,make a list and go down the list,once the list is finished being inspected then start over.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"

I understand that maybe some weren't receiving semi annual or annual inspections,but to have some go for 6 or 7 years without an inspection is BS,make a list and go down the list,once the list is finished being inspected then start over.
    Really? Whats the difference between a dealer and a private seller? Do you think all private sellers should be required to keep logs and the ATF allowed to randomly show up, enter, and inspect all said logs, firearms and anything else in your home at will?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    This is just like all the new COPS that will be flooding the streets of America in the next few months courtesy of the Guvement. They are paid for this year by the Guvment (mine and your taxes), but who pay's for them next business year?? Tax payers in the communities that cannot pay for them now......While the same agencies are doing layoffs, brownouts, and furloughs... What is wrong with this picture???
    Those grants covers pay for 3 years, hopefully long enough for most of those cities and communities to recover. Those grants help pay for new officers which in many cases, doesn't even cover the NORMAL attrition of officers due to retirements, etc. Some of those grants help those agencies from having to layoff officers, which in turn saves money in the long run because there's less overtime to pay out. You're a Comm Engineer, so I would imagine that officer safety isn't a big issue with you since you aren't the one going into dangerous situations on a daily basis. As long as YOU have your gun, right?

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Really? Whats the difference between a dealer and a private seller? Do you think all private sellers should be required to keep logs and the ATF allowed to randomly show up, enter, and inspect all said logs, firearms and anything else in your home at will?
    Private sellers don't need to keep records,if you are referring to people that buy and sell guns out of their homes and have a FFL that's a whole new ball game

the way to look at this is gun owners are creating jobs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links