And he is toast, literally

This is a discussion on And he is toast, literally within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The Columbus Dispatch : Police get a shock when new Taser briefly ignites suspect Police get a shock when new Taser briefly ignites suspect Wednesday, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: And he is toast, literally

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar

And he is toast, literally

The Columbus Dispatch : Police get a shock when new Taser briefly ignites suspect

Police get a shock when new Taser briefly ignites suspect
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 3:02 AM
    By Holly Zachariah
    THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH
    Daniel Wood
    Daniel Wood
    It didn't take Lancaster police long to discover a potential danger with their newly issued stun guns: They can set their targets on fire.

One day after officers received Tasers this week, two of them were patting out the flames on Daniel Wood, a 31-year-old homeless man who reportedly had been inhaling a chemical from a spray can to get high. Wood was not seriously injured but was taken to a hospital as a precaution, said Lancaster Police Chief David Bailey.

"Clearly, this is not the way we'd hoped to get started," Bailey said. "But I'm glad the suspect is OK, and this gives us an opportunity to review how we will do things from this point."

The makers of stun guns warn that such fires are extremely rare but a risk nonetheless, and Lancaster's written policy for the department's seven new Tasers says that the devices shouldn't be used when flammable materials are evident.

Bailey said his officers acted appropriately given the situation and Wood's combative behavior.

"There was no recognition on the part of these officers that this would be the result," Bailey said. "They didn't know the vapor was present and would flash. ... It wasn't as if the suspect was doused in a chemical."

CNN reported last month that a man in Australia who had been huffing a chemical poured gasoline on himself as he charged police. An officer used a stun gun, and that man burst into flames and was seriously injured.

And a man died in Texas in 2007 after police hit him with pepper spray and then jolted him with a stun gun, according to published reports.

Authorities in both cases said the men were carrying lighters in their hands, so the source of ignition couldn't be determined for certain.

In Lancaster, the officers responded just after 8 p.m. Monday to a report of a man darting into traffic and yelling threats outside the Kmart on Memorial Drive.

When the two officers arrived, Wood was holding a can of keyboard cleaner in his hand, and one of the officers saw him inhale the chemical, according to a written report.

Wood took off running and, once caught, kicked the officers and tried to bite them, the report says. That's when an officer used his stun gun, hitting Woods in the chest and an arm with the charged prongs.

"I then observed a flame ignite and I quickly shut off the Taser," wrote the officer, identified only as H.W. Lanham. "(I) approached him and patted out the flame."

Wood has a history of disorderly conduct, resisting arrest and alcohol and drug charges in Fairfield County Municipal Court.

He was charged on Monday with resisting arrest, assaulting a police officer and abusing harmful intoxicants and taken to the Fairfield County jail. He was released about 11:30 p.m. Monday and rearrested yesterday when he failed to show up in court.

Arizona-based Taser International has sold 430,000 devices to law-enforcement officers at 14,750 agencies. Spokesman Steve Tuttle said the warnings about possible ignition are clear but that the incident described in Lancaster "is beyond freakish."

Lancaster police officers have spent the last four months training under an instructor certified by the Ohio Peace Officers Training Academy, Bailey said. Officers also had to pass a qualifying test.

Spokesmen for both the State Highway Patrol and the Columbus Division of Police, where most troopers and officers carry stun guns, said their training is extensive, and that their respective policies also warn of the risk of fire.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    No way! Wasn't this an episode of CSI a few seasons back?
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

The cops did what they had to do...no problem!

(Perhaps when the cops made the 'SomeMores', it was a little over the top.)
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array 2ndsupporter's Avatar
    They must of taken that mug shot at the same time the taser hit! Did you see those eyes??
    [One Nation Under God]

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    The cops did what they had to do...no problem!

(Perhaps when the cops made the 'SomeMores', it was a little over the top.)
    Well...I've heard that keyboard cleaner gives them a special zing!!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Administrator
    Yes, it can and does happen. When Tasers became common a few years ago, we had to change OC to ensure there was nothing flammable in the can since the two often go hand in hand.
    If the guy was huffing paint, I can certainly see him catching fire.
    "Just blame Sixto"

BG Flambe...I'm generally okay with that.

LEOs have a new flame.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

The makers of stun guns warn that such fires are extremely rare but a risk nonetheless, and Lancaster's written policy for the department's seven new Tasers says that the devices shouldn't be used when flammable materials are evident.
    So someone has to be naked for them to use the taser?
    Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post.

VIP Member
    Something tells me Mr Woods won't be homeless and penniless for long. I see a BIG lawsuit on the horizon for Lancaster and the manufacturer of the tazer.

I guess after a burrito you don't want to be tased
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by jbone View Post
    So someone has to be naked for them to use the taser?
    That may not solve the issue.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    That may not solve the issue.
    OK, "Either on the ground hands to your side or strip so I can taser you."
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I know of people that have been caught huffing keyboard cleaner, which is Compressed Air I believe, didnt know it was flammable though....

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    My dad had told me the story, he had read it, so I had to read it for myself, and after i did, I just felt the need to share with the fine folks here.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

couldn't have been that bad if the officer just "patted out the flames"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links