my Consolation Prize from the PD

This is a discussion on my Consolation Prize from the PD within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, you know how that ride-along with the K9 didn't really result in anything noteworthy to watch from a dog-trainer's POV? Guess what? I got ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my Consolation Prize from the PD

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar

my Consolation Prize from the PD

Well, you know how that ride-along with the K9 didn't really result in anything noteworthy to watch from a dog-trainer's POV? Guess what? I got an email last night from the Lt that they are doing the K9 monthly training tomorrow for their department. I was invited to meet up at 0800 and then go to the training! I thought I was only going to get to observe (which would still be an amazing opportunity), but he said I could "can take part in training with the dogs ( ex. tracking, building searches and area searches)"

WOOHOO!!!!

And then, just to make the day perfect, local PD arranged a ride-along w/ one of their dual-purpose K9s for when I get back from Canada. YAY!

Ok, so, any advice for tomorrow's training? I'm assuming jeans and a t-shirt since it's outdoors and I will most likely be covered in dog hair and sweat by the end of the day?
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    he said I could "can take part in training with the dogs
    I have this sudden image of greyhounds chasing a rabbit. Be careful Bunny!

Ok, so, any advice for tomorrow's training? I'm assuming jeans and a t-shirt since it's outdoors and I will most likely be covered in dog hair and sweat by the end of the day?
    Did you forget to add blood to the list?

Yeah...they invited you because their bad guy is on vacation and they need new meat for the dogs to train on. Jeans and t-shirt? Well.......wear plenty of padding, maybe a mattress, and some quilts? A heavy winter jacket? Have fun training tomorrow!
    WOOHOO!!!!
    You betchya! Go get 'em tiger! We're all rootin' for ya!
    Of course I'm just kidding....right?

Okay...seriously though...congrats. I can tell you're excited about it. Great opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    I have this sudden image of greyhounds chasing a rabbit. Be careful Bunny!
    Yes, thanks. *grin* I seriously hope they didn't mean it like that. I haven't had any training in being the tackling dummy / fake bad guy. Maybe I should change my nickname from Bunny to something else. Pronto! lol

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)

www.vanguardnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Yeah...they invited you because their bad guy is on vacation and they need new meat for the dogs to train on. Jeans and t-shirt? Well.......wear plenty of padding, maybe a mattress, and some quilts? A heavy winter jacket? Have fun training tomorrow!

You betchya!
    Great, a mattress? Well at least now it'll be easier to conceal my Sig.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)

www.vanguardnc.com

You could be the one in the big padded suit. In the immortal words of Norm on Cheers, "It's a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milkbone underwear."

Great, a mattress? Well at least now it'll be easier to conceal my Sig.
    Yeah...it's all fun and games until you turn and run.
    Thanks for running with my humor...no pun intended. LOL!

Administrator
    Wear comfortable, but old clothes. BDU's, loose fitting jeans work best. Comfy boots too if you got 'em. If your laying tracks, you will get muddy.

Limit junk hanging off you, like cell phones, knives, guns etc. If you are wearing the sleeve, some dogs like to hang on you and these items will get hung up, knocked off, or worse. If you wear rings or bracelets, don't. Trust me on that one.

You might want to pack a small cooler (water!) for yourself, most training areas are fairly remote.

Also, insider advice... if you take a bite, fight with the dog. Don't hit or kick, but move your arm around. This keeps the dogs mouth engaged. If you do not struggle with him, he is going to be prone to letting go and finding another place to latch on. That is bad... trust me on that too. If you fall during a catch, present that sleeve as fast as you can. The dog wants to bite the sleeve.
    If you want to know how to beat the dog and avoid the bite, you can PM me, but I'm not going to tell you anything. LOL.

Other than that, Pay attention and have fun.

Above advice is from a decoy who may or may not have appeared on national TV and may or may not be the official decoy for a national champion K9 team.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array 2ndsupporter's Avatar
    Crongrats! That sounds like something that you will enjoy!
    [One Nation Under God]

I think you may be wearing the 'padded arm'......it's an insteresting experience.
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; August 20th, 2009 at 07:05 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thanks, Sixto! Actually, they didn't say anything about being a decoy, so I'm assuming I may end up being the "hide" portion of "hide and seek" when the K9 is searching or clearing a building. I believe it's at the range, which is the local FOP lodge, which is where I'm told they do alot of the K9 stuff as well. It's remote and there's a bit of property out there. No shade and a broken Cheerwine machine, so I usually pack some gatorade :)

Roger. Wedding rings and necklace OFF. Thanks!

Do you think it would be ok for me to bring a pen & notebook to take some notes for myself? And possibly a camera? Or would that just be presumptuous and rude?

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)

www.vanguardnc.com

Administrator
    Thanks, Sixto! Actually, they didn't say anything about being a decoy, so I'm assuming I may end up being the "hide" portion of "hide and seek" when the K9 is searching or clearing a building. I believe it's at the range, which is the local FOP lodge, which is where I'm told they do alot of the K9 stuff as well. It's remote and there's a bit of property out there. No shade and a broken Cheerwine machine, so I usually pack some gatorade :)

Roger. Wedding rings and necklace OFF. Thanks!

Do you think it would be ok for me to bring a pen & notebook to take some notes for myself? And possibly a camera? Or would that just be presumptuous and rude?
    Notes are fine, camera should be... but ask first. If you are going to be the hiding person, you will wear a sleeve for the bite. Patrol dogs work for the bite.
    You'll understand this when the time comes... Really hold on the the dowel rod. You do not want to let go.

And work that sleeve. Pull it up as high as you can and rock it back and forth. That is million dollar advice right there.

If you are nervous about the bite work, don't be. Its a very neat experiance.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    and do not forget to post a AAR
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

If you get to wear the bite sleeve have fun and work the dog on it. I got to be the "Dummy" a few times for MWDs at my last duty station. It's impressive what a 65lb K9 at a dead run can generate for force when he/she hits the sleeve/jacket. Most importantly HAVE FUN Bunny!!!
    Libertas Vel Mors

Ditto what Sixto says, from a former K-9 handler. A good friend of mine [another K-9 handler] had his watch destroyed when the dogs tooth went through it. Work that sleeve hard so the dog doesn't want to let go. If he lets go he may go after something you don't want to have bitten. It's a pretty good adrenalin rush watching that dog come at you full speed and trying to feed him the sleeve. One more thing, do not put any part of your body in front of the sleeve when the dog is coming at you. They typically bite the first thing they can grab onto.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links