Poor Judgement of LEO

This is a discussion on Poor Judgement of LEO within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ROUND ROCK Midland deputy fired after rifle incident Picture of Round Rock waitress with weapon also leads to discipline for four others. By Isadora Vail ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poor Judgement of LEO

Poor Judgement of LEO

ROUND ROCK

Midland deputy fired after rifle incident
    Picture of Round Rock waitress with weapon also leads to discipline for four others.
    By Isadora Vail

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Thursday, August 20, 2009

A Midland County sheriff's deputy was fired after police say he and four other deputies asked a waitress to take a picture with one of their service rifles while they were visiting a restaurant in Round Rock last week, Midland Sheriff Gary Painter said.

Deputy Daniel Subia was fired, Deputy Art Nunez received a letter of reprimand, and three others — Deputies Miguel Ramos, Chris Evans and Ron Wright — received three days of suspension without pay, Painter said.

The deputies will not face criminal charges, according to Melissa Hightower, an investigator with the Williamson County attorney's office.

On Aug. 10, Round Rock police were called to the Twin Peaks restaurant — where waitresses typically wear halter tops and short shorts — at 100 E. Louis Henna Blvd. after an off-duty Manor police officer reported seeing a waitress holding what appeared to be a rifle in the parking lot, according to a police report. The deputies were taking photos as she held it, the report said.

The report says the waitress told police that the deputies asked her to come outside and pose with the weapon, according to the report.

The off-duty officer called Round Rock police.

The deputies were in Round Rock for training, Painter said.

Eric Poteet, a spokesman for Round Rock police, said they did not charge the deputies because no crime was committed. Dee Hobbs, chief of the criminal division of the Williamson County attorney's office, had said the officers could face charges of disorderly conduct, a Class B misdemeanor punishable by up to 180 days in jail.

Painter said it would have been a "knee-jerk reaction" to fire all of the deputies involved. Instead, he interviewed each deputy separately and doled out reprimands based on the deputies' participation in the incident. Subia, who was fired, was "the one who handed the weapon to the lady," Painter said.
    I gotta admit that cops are human,but they need to be held to a little higher degree of maturity,handing a waitress an AR15 with a magazine inserted while snapping pictures is not a very smart thing to do.Pretty juvenile immature behaviour and not something I would expect people in their position to engage in while in uniform.On the other hand I don't see anything they did that was criminal
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    From the article even though they did not do anything criminal it was a very serious lack of judgment on their part.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Were there rounds in the firearm? Maybe I'm lacking reading skills tonight.

Unless the waitress filed the complaint and / or the firearm was loaded, I think a LEO was fired for no good reason. To many other real problems in the world than to worry about a few LEO flirting with a good looking girl.

Maybe there is something I don't undestand about the case, but I don't see what was so wrong. Wrong, sure, bad enough to fire, I don't think so with what I've read.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    Were there rounds in the firearm? Maybe I'm lacking reading skills tonight.

Unless the waitress filed the complaint and / or the firearm was loaded, I think a LEO was fired for no good reason. To many other real problems in the world than to worry about a few LEO flirting with a good looking girl.

Maybe there is something I don't undestand about the case, but I don't see what was so wrong. Wrong, sure, bad enough to fire, I don't think so with what I've read.
    I do know there was a magazine in the gun in the picture,and I'm sure the officer was fired due to violation of department policy,allowing a civilian to handle a department issued firearm more than likely.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Although the article does not spell it out, perhaps the deputies involved already had some 'history', and this was the 'straw'.

Even if not, a picture could have been taken in a more secure place, not a public parking lot.
    This was definitely a 'brain fart' moment for this group of cops...and brain farts can be 'costly'.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    "disorderly conduct, a Class B misdemeanor punishable by up to 180 days in jail"???

Better be careful where I show a firearm to someone.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Maybe I'm just a softy but I don't think that was a firing offense in and of itself.

I think a talking to and a letter in the file--to be removed after 1 year-- is all that was necessary.

VIP Member
    Not very smart.

Ya,. There must be more to this story... Maybe the girl was the chief's daughter? Stern scolding, ya,.. Firing.. NO!!!!... Unless there is something else to it..

There was another incident just like this one several years ago involving several NJ SWAT Officers, Hooters waitresses and weapons. Hopefully there's a couple LEO's with sound judgement outside the picture frame. Here's the pics below:

Hooters cops: more photos - NJ.com

until i see this photo, i will refrain on passing judgement..... though it doesnt appear to be an offense that warrants a firing, but it did require reprimand.

Again until i see a photo of this incident im going on speculation....

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mosouthpaw View Post
    until i see this photo, i will refrain on passing judgement..... though it doesnt appear to be an offense that warrants a firing, but it did require reprimand.

Again until i see a photo of this incident im going on speculation....
    Check Midland deputy fired after rifle incident
    Attached Images
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    I see absolutely nothing wrong with that picture......I'm just sayin'
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Was the weapon capable of fully automatic fire? That could make a difference.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Texas sheriff fires deputy over waitress photo

Texas sheriff fires deputy over waitress photo

I find it despicable that these guys make fun of this whole situation. I am not an LEO, but I would think that the sheriff did what was right.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links