Air Force guys..question

This is a discussion on Air Force guys..question within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Have an opportunity with GA Air Guard to do intell work. I have an active TS/SCI from when I was in a an Army Guard ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Force guys..question

Air Force guys..question

Have an opportunity with GA Air Guard to do intell work. I have an active TS/SCI from when I was in a an Army Guard MI unit,but I did NOT get CI MOS because I deployed to Iraq with another unit. Now AG offering me a position that requires 6 mns training at Goodfellow AFB in Texas. Any AF "spooks" out there who can fill me in within OPSEC limits of course. THANKS.

PS> AF has stood up a Tactical HUMINT unit to help out with the intell missions on the ground...any scoop on that also???
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

2. Remove Ads

jbs
    Since Goodfellow is the joint intel training base, i assume your 6 months will be to award you the AFSC (specialty code) for the position and to familiarize you with associated agencies, mission, procedures, etc.
    Enjoy the time in school especially since you should be paid while there.
    Also, if it's been (I think) 2 years since your clearance has been updated, they'll also do that so bring pertenant contact/family data.
    The rest I don't know about.
    If I need to oil a gun, I go to the beach.
    8040 Couger, P95
    1929 MN 91/30, 1927/28 MN Ex Dragoon, MN M44's, Lots of MN's
    Swiss LG1911 1915 and 1916
    Brazilian VZ-24 JC (2), Brazilian Model 1908
    Spanish M1916

EW3
    I say go for it, I wasn't in Intel but the ANG is the way to go! I was prior Army as well and did the ANG thing from 02-08, first as a cook (direct translation of MOS) then as Comm (Signal) where I went to school at Keesler AFB for 4 months. Prior service AFSC tech school (AIT) is the best! Just go to class, study hard, and keep out of trouble and it's an easy 6 months. No marching around or restrictions like the newbies! I got out for now, but may go back before the cut-off age as an officer.

I tried the Army Guard for a "Try One" 1 year deal, and HATED IT, ugh I think the boy scouts would have been a better deal.

You'll have a little culture shock at first, but you'll get used to the AF way of things in no time. The ANG operates on drill weekend like the real deal.

Are you getting an enlistment bonus? If that's the case RUN, don't WALK!
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

I went through Goodfellow 8 years ago to train for my MOS in the active Army. All of the services go there for training in that job, the Air Force runs it so we all get the same training. It's not a bad MOS if you don't mind working at a computer all of the time. I never really got into it much since I didn't actually work my MOS for the first year out of AIT due to a mistake on the branch manager's part. He sent way to many of us to Korea so there were more soldiers than spots to put them to work in, so we filled in at admin spots instead of doing analysis. By the time I got back into an analysis position I was pretty rusty and didn't ever really get the hang of it. If you have done intel work before and enjoyed it, you will probably like working as a 98C too, it's one of the more challenging intelligence specialties and tends to attract smart people. Goodfellow is pretty boring since it's in the middle of nowhere, Texas, but since you won't be under training restrictions like the new recruits you can get out and explore a little more than I did. I switched to the Air Force Reserve a year ago and went through training for welding and machining as a prior service trainee, it wasn't bad at all. They jerked us around a little with BS requirements because the commander of that unit was a small-minded *****, but the instructors were very laid back and treated prior service very well. If you'd like to know more just ask, I can't think of much to add at the moment.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

[B]Thanks guys!!
    Still Love Ya Sarah !

Any specific information over and above that would be great.
    Still Love Ya Sarah !

Go for it....we are moving a lot of UAV exploitation to the Guard...which is great--alleviates the burden on AD units that have constant turnover, every 2-3 years.

IRT the HUMINT mission, I will say the AF is doing it much differently than HUMINT done in the past. When you get to GAFB, I'm sure you will have a block of instruction on it. I think it's best to leave it at that.

Drop me a PM when you are there...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

[QUOTE=EW3;1269715]
    I tried the Army Guard for a "Try One" 1 year deal, and HATED IT, ugh I think the boy scouts would have been a better deal. QUOTE]

That is a rather insulting remark to make about soldiers that are putting their lives on the line!! The guard soldiers risk just as much as AD soldiers when deployed.... If it wasnt for you then great, but no need insulting NG soldiers!!!!!

Justr my 0.02 real quick.

Flying UAS's is fun, if they give you a shot at it, go for it. As far as humint stuff is concerned (and I've done a fair amount of work with it), its a pretty sweet job, and one of the ones I would re-enlist for (in the Marines of course). For a counter insurgency, good humint is invaluable.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Thanks again to all SIGguy(..I'll be shooting you a PM),Buckeye,JBS,Roadrunner,KellyII and EWS. I appreciate the input. After holding the 11B MOS my entire career(RA and Guard)I figured at 46 it was time to live this to the young bucks. The clearance,I'm told is worth it's weight in gold, so why not use it. Let's face it too..the AF does live better(and doesn't deploy as long either. Gotta give it a shot. As an aside EWS DID serve in the RA and just didn't have a good Army Guard experience. I don't think he was putting down the Guard as a whole. And Kelly II THANKS for your service in Iraq and be safe while you are over there. Buckeye I know you,my fellow grunt, have done a "push" over there too....THANKS!! THANKS to all of you guys who responded for your service!!
    Still Love Ya Sarah !

EW3...NOT EWS. I went "down" to "s" on the keyboard instead of "up" to 3. SORRY!!
    Still Love Ya Sarah !

EW3
    [QUOTE=kellyII;1270727]
    Quote Originally Posted by EW3 View Post
    I tried the Army Guard for a "Try One" 1 year deal, and HATED IT, ugh I think the boy scouts would have been a better deal. QUOTE]

That is a rather insulting remark to make about soldiers that are putting their lives on the line!! The guard soldiers risk just as much as AD soldiers when deployed.... If it wasnt for you then great, but no need insulting NG soldiers!!!!!
    Sorry if I've offended any Army Guard people. I was in an PA ARNG unit right around the time 9/11 happened, so I never got to go to the desert with them. It wasn't a very good unit, and I felt like I was wasting my time each drill weekend doing stupid mickey mouse stuff or nothing at all. When I got to the ANG, it was a completely different story, they worked the entire drill weekend as if it were the real thing.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Go for it you will like it!!!!
    Trust me!!!
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

Airborne to Air Force...just think of the ribbing you'll get at the VFW!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyII View Post
    The guard soldiers risk just as much as AD soldiers when deployed.... If it wasnt for you then great, but no need insulting NG soldiers!!!!!
    Preach it, brother. I served on AD for 10 years and then joined the Air Guard. I've been to combat on AD and with my Guard unit. I'll take my Guard unit any day. The AD can't fight this war without us, and any young active officer or NCO who says otherwise is extremely shortsighted, uninformed, and territorial.

I really liked my time on AD, but I've loved my time in the Guard. I plan on serving for another 10-15 years, and am very proud of our Militiaman/citizen-soldier history. Stay safe, KellyII.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links