Negligence Suits Likely Over VA Procedures - Page 2

Negligence Suits Likely Over VA Procedures

This is a discussion on Negligence Suits Likely Over VA Procedures within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by automatic slim I've seen better hygiene practised in tattoo parlors. This is because the government only regulates tatto parlors as opposed to ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Negligence Suits Likely Over VA Procedures

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    I've seen better hygiene practised in tattoo parlors.
    This is because the government only regulates tatto parlors as opposed to running them. Its alwasy easier to tell others what to do.

Michael

Maybe you missed this tidbit:

In April, the VA inspector general sent investigators on unannounced inspections at 42 of the department's medical facilities. Its report, released in June, concluded that only 43 percent were in compliance.

As was explained to me when I got shoddy medical care (not at a VA), people can only expect the accepted standard of care from medical professionals, which is the minimum acceptable level of care. 57% of tested VA facilities failed to meet that minimum.

Personally I believe vets, myself included should be given vouchers to receive their care in civilian facilities.

I think the only government run health care worse than the Veterans Administration would be the government health care provided to the Native Indian population on the country's Reservations.

And we are on the brink of government run health care for everyone!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Anyone who really cares about veterans should read Wounded Men, Broken Promises by Robert Klein. That book is just as pertinent now as when it was written in 1981. I often talk with young wounded veterans and hear of the hassles that they have to go through just because they stood up, signed on the dotted line and fought for the USA.

Bottom line: The VA remains a badly broken system that will not be fixed short of a complete housecleaning. One third of VA doctors are immigrants who are not conversant in English. Many are not board certified physicians.

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    The VA system sucks, based on what I've seen transporting patients in and out. The government and the people would be much better served by giving veterans comparable insurance cards and closing the VA system down.
    Wait a minute Hoss before you start closing VA hospitals down based upon the incident in Tennessee. As a lawyer who has handle federal tort claim suits against the VA and similar actions againt private hospital AND also is a VA patient, I can tell you that if your standard is to close down all VA hospitals for something that happened in Tennessee, we might as well close down all hospitals in the U.S. No hospital is permanently immune from these type of fiascos, and most at some time or another have outbreaks of some type, particularly unexplained staf infections.

Overall the VA system has improved vastly in the last decade. Their mega computer system is one of the best in the world. The turtle has finally caught up with the hare, and in many instances has surpassed the hare.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Holger View Post
    Awesome...let's give them control over the entire US healthcare system. What could go wrong?
    You beat me to it.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Quote Originally Posted by cwblanco View Post
    Wait a minute Hoss before you start closing VA hospitals down based upon the incident in Tennessee. As a lawyer who has handle federal tort claim suits against the VA and similar actions againt private hospital AND also is a VA patient, I can tell you that if your standard is to close down all VA hospitals for something that happened in Tennessee, we might as well close down all hospitals in the U.S. No hospital is permanently immune from these type of fiascos, and most at some time or another have outbreaks of some type, particularly unexplained staf infections.

Overall the VA system has improved vastly in the last decade. Their mega computer system is one of the best in the world. The turtle has finally caught up with the hare, and in many instances has surpassed the hare.
    I thought I was the lone defender. I might add to vets with bad VA experiences to talk with the Patient Advocates at the VA. Patient complaints are handled seriously and the Hospital Director is involved on many. If you have a complaint...complain but do so to get results and help your fellow vets.

I must point out that the VA is not alone in having problems with colonoscopies:

Assembly-line colonoscopies at clinic described - Las Vegas Sun

Cleaning and sterilizing flexible scopes is very difficult and easy to screw up unless done exactly right.

It's 2009. How in the USA is it possible to not clean and sterilize equipment in a modern hospital, let alone give vets such abhorrent treatment?

There's got to be a better use for barium enemas, at least when "properly" administered. Orderly?! Orderly! You, in the white coat ...!

To be fair, I am unfamiliar with the specific tools involved and how relatively simple/difficult it is to correctly sterilize certain gear.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Personally I believe vets, myself included should be given vouchers to receive their care in civilian facilities.

I think the only government run health care worse than the Veterans Administration would be the government health care provided to the Native Indian population on the country's Reservations.

And we are on the brink of government run health care for everyone!
    You are absolutely right. We never hear about mistakes or negligence in civilian hospitals . . .
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    FWIW old Hoss here...

I am talking about my personal experiences at not only the VA hospitals in Hampton and Richmond, VA, but in the many hospitals across Hampton Roads and beyond. I have worked for 2 independent hospitals. In addition to working in EMS 911, my transport agency is owned by a large local health care system. So not only do I get to see all types of hospitals and systems, I work for one, too.

I can say without reservation that the VA sucks. Their employees are surly beyond belief, they do the absolute minimum and would probably stop breathing on the job if they could get away with it, they are uniformly incompetent and apparently work there because they are unable to secure a position in the civilian world where accountability and customer service exists, MOST just don't care. I have also heard endless complaints from their customers, the veterans who receive their services. While no hospital is perfect, I can assure you that if the VA had to compete in a free market, they would not last a month. Unfortunately, many VA patients cannot afford private health care, so they flock to areas where VA hospitals exist, and do not go anywhere else for care.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

While no hospital is perfect, I can assure you that if the VA had to compete in a free market, they would not last a month. Unfortunately, many VA patients cannot afford private health care, so they flock to areas where VA hospitals exist, and do not go anywhere else for care.
    +1

Had an operation on my nose in the Pittsburgh, PA VA hospital. The Pittsburgh VA hospital did not send my medical records back to the VA hospital in Clarksburg, WV.

The VA hospital in Clarksburgh refused to refill my meds because they did not have my medical records. This went on for eight months. After dealing with numerous underlings, I finally went to the director of the Clarksburg hospital trying to get someone to call Pittsburgh VA and ask them to send my medical records back. The sob had a wonderful solution: I should drive to Pittsburgh and bring my records back.

There were so many complaints about the Clarksburg VA hospital that senator Byrd demanded that the director be fired. The guy was finally fired after a patient was missing for several months from the hospital: They found the disabled veteran's body on the hospital grounds in the spring when the snow melted.

Patient complaints are handled seriously and the Hospital Director is involved on many.
    They only way that the idiots at the VA take patient complaints seriously is when the veteran writes to his congressman.

I can tell you that if your standard is to close down all VA hospitals for something that happened in Tennessee, we might as well close down all hospitals in the U.S.
    It ain't just in TN. It is all over the place.

In April, the VA inspector general sent investigators on unannounced inspections at 42 of the department's medical facilities. Its report, released in June, concluded that only 43 percent were in compliance.

Quote Originally Posted by rodc13 View Post
    You are absolutely right. We never hear about mistakes or negligence in civilian hospitals . . .
    Surely you jest. What country do you live in anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    FWIW old Hoss here...

I am talking about my personal experiences at not only the VA hospitals in Hampton and Richmond, VA, but in the many hospitals across Hampton Roads and beyond . . . I can say without reservation that the VA sucks. Their employees are surly beyond belief, they do the absolute minimum and would probably stop breathing on the job if they could get away with it, they are uniformly incompetent and apparently work there because they are unable to secure a position.
    The difference in the VA quality may be attributed to the geographic area where their employees are recruited. Instead of being forced to recruit employees from Hampton and Virginia, our VA recruits its employees from Texas. They don't seem to have the same sucking problem. Could it because your VA is too close to where Congress congregates?

Quote Originally Posted by cwblanco View Post
    Surely you jest. What country do you live in anyway?
    What? You mean mistakes and negligence do occur in the private sector? I thought it was only government-run health care that ever had problems.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links