Requesting input from LEO's on forum

This is a discussion on Requesting input from LEO's on forum within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi, I've enjoyed reading the forum for a while but don't have time to post much. Anyway I have a question for the LEO's about ...

Thread: Requesting input from LEO's on forum

Hi, I've enjoyed reading the forum for a while but don't have time to post much. Anyway I have a question for the LEO's about carrying a handcuff key. I recently joined the Sheriff's Posse and have gotten different answers about carrying a handcuff key. Do you recommend carrying it on your regular keyring or do you carry it hid out; or do you do both.
    I just turned in paperwork for my CHL and will be carrying my Sig P6 off duty. After I qualify at the range, I'll be issued a G22 as a duty weapon.
    Thanks in advance. I've learned much from the forum.
    Last edited by redneckrambo; August 25th, 2009 at 01:53 PM. Reason: security issue
    GLOCK G22 (duty weapon)
    GLOCK G27 (on duty backup and off duty EDC)
    SIG SAUER P6
    KELTEC P11
    "Because homeland security begins at home"

Administrator
    Buy one pen style cuff key, you will use that the most. I like mine seperate from my key ring, but it boils down to personal preference. My thought is I dont want all my other keys getting in the way when trying to cuff or uncuff a prisoner. You should also have several other small keys. Each set of cuffs come with two, and the smaller cuff keys are a dime a dozen anyway. Ask your FTO or senior deputy's about how to carry those.

I will not do so on an open forum, it would be irresponsible to give away "trade secrets". I hope others will not as well.
    "Just blame Sixto"

SIXTO, Thanks for your advice. I understand the "trade secrets" issue and edited my post accordingly. Sorry, I should have known better anyway. No offense intended.
    GLOCK G22 (duty weapon)
    SIG SAUER P6
    KELTEC P11

Pin style as SIXTO suggests, a couple others that your senior officer will show you where to keep them.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

I carry a Pen Style as well, im not civilian LEO but I am a military police officer and I agree witht the other posts as well, we have other areas that we carry cuff keys to so, yes ask your FTO about that....

I am another fan of the pen style. I also carry at least two others that magically appear when needed.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I took my small key and had it cut into by a machinist that was a friend of mine and he placed a piece of stainless hex rod between the 2 halves. It was unique. But I agree with the other LEOs, get an extended key. I never did like my hands right against the BAG especially if he is bleeding.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    The pen key is nice. I also have one from Streamlight that is nice and wide and has a light for both ends.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    As Sixto said, don't carry your cuff key with your other keys, they only get in the way. What I did as an LEO was have two sets of keys, work and personal. When on duty, I only had my work keys, which were; unit key, office key, house key and cuff key. I carried them on a larger than average ring, so when I was using one the others hung out of the way.
    I also had a belt keeper with a pocket that I would stick one of the keys in and carry them right on my Sam Browne instead of in a pants pocket where they are hell to get to in a hurry.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Thank you everyone for your response. This experience is giving me a new understanding and respect for all of you Law Enforcement and Military who lay it all out there everyday. Thanks to all of you for your service to your communities and to our country. I'm sure I'll have more questions but for now stay safe.
    GLOCK G22 (duty weapon)
    SIG SAUER P6
    KELTEC P11

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    My primary key, pen style, goes in my key holder on my belt on the same ring as my station, cell, locker, and gate keys; it doesn't bother me. I keep various small keys on my at work as well, but that's also a "trade secret." All my other key rings have a cuff key; I keep duplicate sets of my personal keys.

I have to add the disclaimer that I have never cuffed anybody that I've arrested or dealt with at work. There are many Agents that have been on Patrol for years and have never used their cuffs. I still carry three sets just in case.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    As Sixto said, don't carry your cuff key with your other keys, they only get in the way. What I did as an LEO was have two sets of keys, work and personal. When on duty, I only had my work keys, which were; unit key, office key, house key and cuff key. I carried them on a larger than average ring, so when I was using one the others hung out of the way.
    I also had a belt keeper with a pocket that I would stick one of the keys in and carry them right on my Sam Browne instead of in a pants pocket where they are hell to get to in a hurry.
    That's what we were taught in our academy: to keep a separate set of keys. One set for work, and our personal keys. My handcuff keys are on the work key ring, and a pen style key in my left shirt pocket.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by LM2024 View Post
    That's what we were taught in our academy: to keep a separate set of keys. One set for work, and our personal keys. My handcuff keys are on the work key ring, and a pen style key in my left shirt pocket.
    Oh yeah, most definatly keep personal set of keys away from your work keys. That is police work 101.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    A couple posts have been deleted from the thread in the interest of not revealing certain information that does not need to be out in public. I think Sixto said it best:

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I will not do so on an open forum, it would be irresponsible to give away "trade secrets". I hope others will not as well.
    Please, folks, consider the possibility that not everyone searching for "handcuff key" on the internet is doing so for lawful purposes.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

VIP Member
    I carry the pen style, the small ones that come with the cuffs are more difficult to use
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Sponsored Links