Impersonating a police officer or not..

This is a discussion on Impersonating a police officer or not.. within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My friend has a shirt that says "Police" and a hat that says "Police"..he likes to wear it when he open carrys because no one ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Impersonating a police officer or not..

Impersonating a police officer or not..

My friend has a shirt that says "Police" and a hat that says "Police"..he likes to wear it when he open carrys because no one gives him crap...is this impersonating a police officer? Im affraid he will get into trouble..
    Take the "L" out of "Lover" and its "Over".

2. Remove Ads

I really dont think the shirt and hat are considered a uniform, but it wouldn't take much for a leo/court to say he was. Really i think he is asking for trouble that way, because all it takes is a hot head po-po to get pissy about it and cause major issues for him.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJoe View Post
    My friend has a shirt that says "Police" and a hat that says "Police"..he likes to wear it when he open carrys because no one gives him crap...is this impersonating a police officer? Im affraid he will get into trouble..

Very silly on his part, asking for trouble, I thought you did not know about open carry.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

VIP Member
    I think that's just asking for trouble.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    I think that's just asking for trouble.
    Understatement!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

My personal view of someone wearing a police hat/shirt without a badge, cuffs, radio, etc is that they are just a stupid punk that needs an ass kicking.

Cops don't wear cop stuff when they are off the clock, unless it's to cop functions off duty. When I do demos and training with LE I see the occasional " Undercover cop working on a case" text over a case of beer shirt or "Homicide: Our day starts when your day ends" shirts. Other than that nothing.

If he gets into trouble let him. It might wake him up to the realities of being a dumb ass.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    My personal view of someone wearing a police hat/shirt without a badge, cuffs, radio, etc is that they are just a stupid punk that needs an ass kicking.

Cops don't wear cop stuff when they are off the clock, unless it's to cop functions off duty. When I do demos and training with LE I see the occasional " Undercover cop working on a case" text over a case of beer shirt or "Homicide: Our day starts when your day ends" shirts. Other than that nothing.

If he gets into trouble let him. It might wake him up to the realities of being a dumb ass.
    Tubby, pour your heart out tell us how you really feel, we are all friends here, let it go don't hold back man.

Great post thanks,

Cheers,
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Just after I first read the original post I was talking on the phone with a personal friend who happens to be a LEO. Here in Eastpointe, he would be arrested and charged is what Tom tells me.
    My own common sense would say that's not the brightest thing to do.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post

Around here I see a lot of Police Academy Class # shirts, Torch Run Shirts, Thin Blue Line gear, etc. Also see some, but less, FOP gear. I nearly always know or strongly suspect that they are worn by legit LEOs.

Could be a regional thing.

OTOH -- I agree that a hat, vest, or jacket with "Police" is over the line and asking for trouble.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJoe View Post
    So his intent is to have the general public assume that he is a police officer so that "no one gives him crap." Ask him what would he do if a misdemeanor (non-violent) situation occurs and some by stander looks, points at him and yells: "Hey, police! Get that BG! He just took that guy's laptop!" What is he going to say then? Um, I'm not the police?

In our department our entry and SWAT teams usually wear shirts and hats that have "POLICE" on them.

If he continues, he'll learn one way or the other.

Weaing clothing with the intent is to impersonate a police officer for personal purposes. That's no different than someone flashing a fake police badge for personal purposes. I would say that is impersonating a police officer and could articulate that in court. That's a Class IV Felony where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by bbqgrill View Post
    Very silly on his part, asking for trouble, I thought you did not know about open carry.

I didnt, untill this site..thats why Icalled my buddy that lives about 30 mins from here to ask if he had..thats when he told me he does it in the "police shirt and hat..
    Take the "L" out of "Lover" and its "Over".

The best tee I ever saw was on the internet and said something like: "Bomb Squad.........If you see me running try to keep up". I'd love to have one, but like most here, I think it would probably get me arrested.

So he wears items labed "Police" which he intends for others to believe he is in fact police so they'll leave him alone.
    Here's Indiana's statute:

IC 35-44-2-3
    Impersonation of a public servant
    Sec. 3. A person who falsely represents that the person is a public servant, with intent to mislead and induce another person to submit to false official authority or otherwise to act to the other person's detriment in reliance on the false representation, commits impersonation of a public servant, a Class A misdemeanor.
    However, a person who falsely represents that the person is:
    (1) a law enforcement officer; or
    (2) an agent or employee of the department of state revenue, and collects any property from another person;
    commits a Class D felony.
    183 FBINA

Oh yea, He is looking for trouble. I would look to find new friends. There is a BIG diffrence between Leo's doing training and taking a break to eat lunch at the local eatery and dressing up as a leo so you dont catch crap. So when your friend gets arrested are you going to go bail him out? Does he drive around in a Crown Vic? Does he hang out in the mall? Does he have a CCW badge? Friends with Grecko45?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links