Please help with rules on civilian access to firearms?

This is a discussion on Please help with rules on civilian access to firearms? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; PLEASE help me get this straight because I think I might have messed up recently. NC law states that you may NOT conceal carry into ...

Thread: Please help with rules on civilian access to firearms?

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar

Please help with rules on civilian access to firearms?

PLEASE help me get this straight because I think I might have messed up recently.

NC law states that you may NOT conceal carry into a police station BUT that it is legal to open carry...do I have that right so far?

Nowhere in my cheat sheet does it say anything else about in a police car, etc.

If you are on a ride-along and have a CC permit, though, it's still NOT legal for any civilian to have access to a firearm while IN a police vehicle, correct? Or is it ok to still CC, as long as, you know, you're not the guy handcuffed in the back?

If I left my Sig locked in the glove box of my car while I was on the ride-along, does that count as it being concealed on police property and that was totally illegal? Or was that ok?

There was another thread about the hot chick waitress posing with a recruit's gun, I think. Someone said something about civilians not being allowed to handle LE firearms. What are the specifics on this, please? For example, if an on-duty officer is showing you their rifle/shotgun, are you not allowed to touch it at all? But if they're off-duty and it's their personal, not department-issued firearm, then that's totally ok, right?

I'm a little confused, and just wanted clarification. Thanks :)
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

2. Remove Ads

You were fine with the gun in the parking lot. As to the handling an officers handgun, as long as it's in an appropriate situation it's fine. Such as on the range. I've shot LE duty weapons before at their offering and no problems. Course it was at the department range too.

As to CC while on a ride along, best bet is to ask the LEO you will be riding with. Most likely not something they'll want. Liability issues come to mind.
    Last edited by NC Bullseye; August 30th, 2009 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Ride along answer

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Most agencies have specific rules regarding weapons on ride alongs and usually it's prohibited. An on duty officer shouldn't be drawing his weapon unless he intends to use it, usually covered in the SOP. Off duty with their personal weapon, they use their own judgement.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Here in Las Vegas you cannot carry a firearm if you are on a "ride along" with a police officer. I've already looked into this as I am planning on attending the local Citizens Academy. No firearms on ride alongs.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Carrying weapons (with CCW) is not permitted during Austin PD ride alongs:

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/police/do...orm%202003.doc

Police Observer Information Form

• Police observers must complete and sign the Request for Approval to Ride in an Austin Police Unit form on the reverse of this sheet.
    • NO person under the age of eighteen (18) will be permitted to ride as an observer in a police unit at any time unless the Chief of Police has granted prior approval.
    • A warrant and criminal history check are done on all requestors prior to approval being given.
    • Police observers may ride a maximum of 1 time per month unless approved in writing by the affected area commander.
    • Police observers should appear at the scheduled time. If the observer arrives after the assigned officer has gone on the street, the observer has the responsibility of rescheduling the riding period to another date.
    • Observers will be assigned to ride with officers of the same sex.
    The area commander or the on-duty area field lieutenant must approve any opposite sex assignment (including spouses).
    • Violation of any portions of the prohibited acts, or dress code, or any behavior that impairs the officer’s ability to perform his/her job, will be considered grounds for being banned from riding.

Dress Code for Police Observers

• Police observers are to dress neatly and conservatively.
    • Cleanliness is required at all times.
    • Hair and facial hair must be well groomed.
    • Shorts and cut-offs are prohibited.
    • Clothing bearing any sign or symbol that advertises any product, business or organization will not be permitted
    • Clothing with offensive designs, logos, letters or devices is prohibited.
    • Conservative type shoes or boots may be worn; sandals and bare feet are prohibited.

Prohibited Acts

• Will not consume alcoholic beverages prior to and during tours of duty;
    • Will not use profane or abusive language during the tour of duty;
    • Will not engage in excessive conversation, which may distract the officer or interfere with hearing the police radio;
    • Will not make remarks or voice opinions to complainants, witnesses, victims, violators or suspects in any manner which would tend to provoke or degrade anyone or escalate tension;
    • Will not be allowed into a private residence during the execution of a search or arrest warrant;
    • Will not make known to any unauthorized person, information that may compromise a police operation, procedure or investigation that is either in progress or proposed;
    • Will not make known to unauthorized persons the identity of persons arrested, persons being confined in jail, or suspects in a criminal act;
    • Will not use information learned during a tour of duty for personal gain;
    • Will not carry weapons of any type. Observers possessing a permit to carry a concealed weapon will NOT be allowed to carry a weapon during a tour of duty;
    • Non-sworn observers do not have any powers of a police officer, and have no authority except when acting at the direction of a police officer.

Police observers will:

• At all times conduct themselves with proper decorum.
    • Remain in the police unit during routine traffic stops unless otherwise directed by an officer.
    • Remain in or near the police unit during disturbance calls and calls of a serious nature in order to summon assistance by radio if needed, unless otherwise directed by an officer.

YES it is a NO,NO in FL. also but the shotgun was there for my reach My brother always said if we was shot at I would be defending myself if he ever was hit. If you do a RIDE Along do it on a Fri./Sat. night shift,That's when it aint that Boring H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Ok. They did show me where the shotgun was and how to activate the release in case of an emergency, but they said that was also standard in all the ride-alongs. I think I accidentally touched the SG when I saw there was a key in the latch and asked if it was supposed to be like that, but that wouldn't get anyone in trouble so we're good. Mostly concerned with leaving the Sig in the car on Police Property or being able to (or not, apparently) purse carry if in their car. Thanks :)

Headed to the range this afternoon to go shoot with them! :) (Personal firearms only)

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)

www.vanguardnc.com

Even if its legal to carry inside a police cruiser (and I'm not aware of any law that specifically prohibits it, and I've never seen a posted cruiser), the possibility of ending up somewhere where it is illegal for a non-LEO to carry a weapon sometime during the ride along is high. Alarms, for instance, at schools go off all the time. If the officer one is riding with responds to one, as soon as he drive onto school property the CHP holder is committing a felony. It would be a shame to end one's ride along by being arrested by the officer one is riding with.

As for the parking lot of the PD, I don't see any legal problem there.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu711 View Post
    Here in Las Vegas you cannot carry a firearm if you are on a "ride along" with a police officer.
    Note to self: don't go on police ride alongs. I actually do not believe police officers have a burden to protect me with their lives if something violent happens, though many WOULD TRY if possible and I'd be grateful if they did. But I think they should focus on protecting themselves and let me fend for myself. Taking that away from me for the sake of a ride along is........for the cop's safety, certainly not mine.

There was an incident in the early 70's in San Diego, CA, where a ride-along was with an officer who had just been shot. The ride-along, a young female student, removed the Rem. 870 from it's rack and used it to take out the bad guy. She received awards from the department, but sadly the officer didn't survive.

In most cases, it isn't law, but policy concerning armed ride-alongs.

Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Landric View Post
    It would be a shame to end one's ride along by being arrested by the officer one is riding with.

As for the parking lot of the PD, I don't see any legal problem there.
    That does seem like it would put a damper on the whole evening.

Ok, well no worries, it will continue to stay locked up and hidden in my car if I'm on the premises again. I doubt I will do another ride along anyhow.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)

www.vanguardnc.com

VIP Member
    I'm sure most departments have policies for observer's and weapons

ours did not have any stated policies when I went on my ride-along with a buddy (before I was an applicant)

that being said I did have my CHL and I won't confirm nor deny the presence of any weapons other than the officer's being in the patrol car
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post

There was another thread about the hot chick waitress posing with a recruit's gun, I think. Someone said something about civilians not being allowed to handle LE firearms. What are the specifics on this, please? For example, if an on-duty officer is showing you their rifle/shotgun, are you not allowed to touch it at all? But if they're off-duty and it's their personal, not department-issued firearm, then that's totally ok, right?

I'm a little confused, and just wanted clarification. Thanks :)
    Do you think it's ok for an off duty LEO to let you drive their cruiser?

Probably not. So why would you be able to touch there firearms?

You might want to ask the intended agency what the rules/laws on CC are while on ride-a-longs.

JM2C.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    Do you think it's ok for an off duty LEO to let you drive their cruiser?

Probably not. So why would you be able to touch there firearms?

You might want to ask the intended agency what the rules/laws on CC are while on ride-a-longs.

JM2C.
    Only if they're driving a confiscated Vette!

No. Actually, THAT question I was asking because Bunny Jr likes to ask all the LEO he can find (the mall, the street, etc) what they carry and what caliber. He's interested now that he shoots, so he likes to see what everyone else has. So far he knows better than to ask to touch, I just wanted to check. Also because we shoot with some off-duty guys, but they never use their duty piece at the range.

Also, during the ride along, like I said, they showed me where the shotgun was, in case...in case of I don't know what, but I touched it, well, grazed it with my hand, when retrieving the key. I said "is the key supposed to be in the lock here, or not?" and then they got the key out.

I wouldn't want to intentionally touch the firearms, but just thought it's best to ask and clarify.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)

www.vanguardnc.com

Links